IGNORED

TurboFreezer XL/XE 2011 preorder starts now

HiassofT

I would be interested in at least one. on that note, anyone buy more than one that want to part with one?

Write to Wolfgang Burger from ABBUC (or to me at software<at>abbuc.de ), there are some unpaid freezers which will be avilable to buy.

I use the Turbo Freezer with an 800XL and an IDE+2. The IDE+2 is connected with the card edge connector to the TF.

I presume that if I supply the IDE+2 with +5 VDC from the computer (separate lead), that I don't also need to hook up the power from the joystick port to the TF? And vice-versa?

In other words just use the pass-through of the + 5VDC between the two devices.

-Larry

Ok, for I am not a native english speaker, I have to correct something, as my posting could be understood wrong. Correct is:

There MIGHT be some Freezers left as people didn´t react to invoices or didn´t pay, and they will be available later. Of course they first will be offered to ABBUC members (no matter how long one is a member) and then the list extends to others. So please understand that you will be put on a list without the promise of getting a freezer, as production is extremely time exhausting.

So please do not be disappointed. But you can always ask in the ABBUC forums, if there are members who have bought more than one freezer and might sell one.

My TurboFreezer2011 arrived yesterday.

Just now I had the time to plugged it in and check the debugger. Looks very useful for debugging code on the real thing.

Will know for sure if I need it :)

The debugger was the main reason I wanted the Freezer. All the other stuff will be discovered step by step ;)

Question regarding debugging. I might be able to figure that out myself, but why go to the hazel...

If I WANT to trigger the freezer from my code how do I do that? First idea would be to intentionally hang the system through a JSR to an endless loop and trace through the system stack.

When I want to achieve this in an emulator, I use the byte $02 "KIL" which jumps to the monitor of the emulator.

Edited by Creature XL

You cannot trigger it from the code directly. The freezer is fully invisible to the hardware unless you press the freezer button. "JMP *" will work, i.e. you can freeze it there, provided DLI or NMI are active. Opcode $02/KIL will not work, because it really stops the CPU from fetching any more instructions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good news: the last Freezers are currently being shipped, the first batch is now finished!

If you have preordered a Freezer but didn't receive your payment email, please contact me and Wolfgang until the end of 2013, otherwise your Freezer will be given to one of the people who asked for a Freezer during the last months.

Important note: Don't contact us and ask for a Freezer if you are not on the preorder list, there are no more Freezers available!

so long,

Hias

• 2 months later...

A question about the "Old Runner." Can the Old Runner OS be replaced by flashing to use Omnimon XL? According to the docs, it didn't look possible since the $C000 area is mapped out in hardware. (?) (I'm aware of the built-in debugger in the Freezer.)

-Larry

Can the Old Runner OS be replaced by flashing to use Omnimon XL? According to the docs, it didn't look possible since the $C000 area is mapped out in hardware. (?)

No, it can't. The oldrunner implementation in the Freezer is quite simple, it just replaces $E000-$FFFF with an 8k block from the flash (you could replace this 8k by anything other, though). $C000-$CFFF is "disabled" and the mathpack ($D800-$DFFF) needs to be present in the currently running OS. So this could be an issue if you have U1MB installed and use the freezer oldrunner:

The U1MB bios (at least the very first versions I tested) isn't working like a stock OS. It neither contains a mathpack (this could be an issue when using the oldrunner mode) nor does it do "normal" NMI processing or have a default charset at $E400 (this is an issue if you activate the Freezer with FreezerButton+Reset). In both cases the U1MB bios isn't initialized as the freezer takes over control over the Atari immediately. OTOH using the freezer oldrunner mode with U1MB might come handy to "unbrick" an U1MB. You have a running Atari (altough without mathpack, but it's not really that important) and U1MB still in an initial, unconfigured state.

so long,

Hias

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to get and xe and xl Turbo Freezer 2011. What is the cost of this hardware?

Stephen J. Carden

I did manage to get a turbo-freezer from a person who had two. I would like to know if there is a way to add a machine language monitor to the turbofreezer? Something like the one that is in the Black Box.

Stephen J. Carden

http://www.realdos.net

Huh?

The TurboFreezer 2011 has this, although it does not work as handy as the BlackBox version.

When you go into the Freezer menu, it is one of the options (I am not behind the atari right now, so I can not check) ... I guess it is the last menu option (D? P?) and then you can get a rather detailed help where you can read all the options.

I must agree: The blackbox monitor works better, especially since it kicks in on the mem location the 6502 was executing at that moment.

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to add an extra feature to Turbo Freezer 2011? I think that cartridge dumper functionality with banking methods selection would be useful tool for i.e. software preservation. :)

Is it possible to add an extra feature to Turbo Freezer 2011? I think that cartridge dumper functionality with banking methods selection would be useful tool for i.e. software preservation. :)

I don't think that's worth the effort, most carts seem to have been dumped already. Did you have any specific carts in mind that haven't been dumped yet?

so long,

Hias

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi to everyone.

.... it's been a long time since I heard about the Turbo Freezer, (since I bought a 320k 800XL from an ABBUC member, in fact) but never manage to get one ..... until now.

So, Hias, today I'm back here to know ....

I want to know :

- Is there any plan for a new batch of Turbo Freezer ?

- If yes, is there a waiting list, and, if yes, how to be on it ?

- What is the price of it ... as I wish to have an XL and XE compatible hardware.

Thanks.

- Is there any plan for a new batch of Turbo Freezer ?

Sorry, there are currently no plans for a new batch. We are all very busy with our day-time jobs and stuff like that so there's little time left for hobby projects.

If you desparately want one you could build one yourself. All the sources, schematics and PCB files are on my website.

Or you could run foft's excellent Atari FPGA core one one of the various FPGA boards, I've added Turbo Freezer support to them some time ago.

so long,

Hias