IGNORED

Do you ever report sellers to eBay for bogus listings?

bennybingo

I was just curious what other members thought about this one...I was browsing eBay this morning and saw the following listings:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1807474226131?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=180747422613&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1807474281271?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=180747428127&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Now, I have been collecting for a long time, and I can spot a Hozer game from a mile away, but what about some poor schlep who is new to the hobby? This listing is so misleading to the untrained or newbie collector.

I wanted to report this as a bogus listing (as it is NOT a prototype), but I was somewhat conflicted...

Personally, I would never post something so disingenuous just to rip someone off, but at the same time, I was raised on the "buyer beware" mantra. Do your homework and you won't get ripped off...and It does apply in this case. Additionally, I was also never a fan of snitches, rats and tattle tales, but in this case, I feel like it could be justified. I would hate to see some noob collector get ripped off and end up with a crummy first impression of the hobby (then again...welcome to eBay).

If only this seller listed it as a repro of a proto (I know...eBay rules would likely not allow this), I wouldn't feel so compelled to ask everyone's opinion. But, then again, this is not the first time I have seen a listing like this that turned my stomach. In fairness to the seller though, they did include an "or best offer" option. Everything else registers high on the B.S. meter though.

So I would love to hear the opinions of other folks here, as I think it may reinforce my existing opinion or open my eyes up to a new way of thinking. Thanks!

Unfortunately, ebay's reporting function doesn't really have anything specifically closely related to the issue here. And there's nowhere to add custom comments, so unless they know why it's fraudulent, they may not do anything about it. I think the only way reporting this could possibly do any good is for many people to report it, then it may draw attention. They really need to have something in their report system about simply "fraudulent description". I reported both just now under the closest thing to that I could find.

What about copyright infringement?

post-29022-0-20827000-1320597513_thumb.png

I considered that. It would probably be the best thing to get their attention I suppose, even though it isn't what I'd really like to report it for. I suppose it would accomplish the goal. I just hate to give ebay more encouragement to cry "copyright infringement" on every (other) little thing that isn't really. Oh well.

Edited by Mirage

But how many ebay employees know their Atari games inside and out? Unless you're able to report it as misleading (maybe you can, I don't report all too often) they probably won't know what they're supposed to be looking for. For all they know that's a perfectly good Atari game.

Edited by Itchy Koala

But how many ebay employees know their Atari games inside and out? Unless you're able to report it as misleading (maybe you can, I don't report all too often) they probably won't know what they're supposed to be looking for. For all they know that's a perfectly good Atari game.

Exactly. That's what I meant. Their reporting system doesn't allow for real accuracy in reporting in this case. So, they're not going to really know what to look for or how to see whether it's a legit posting or not. Totally understand that as large as ebay is, there's no way they could field reports with custom explanations, but it's a huge drawback to ebay and one reason so many fraudulent postings aren't pulled right away. eBay is just too big to police everything.

• Like 1

I report all kinds of BS on eBay, and they basically never do anything about it. That doesn't stop me, I just don't expect results.

And yes, these reproductions are copyright infringement and tantamount to theft, but unless the IP owners do something to enforce their rights, nothing much is going to happen.

I report all kinds of BS on eBay, and they basically never do anything about it. That doesn't stop me, I just don't expect results.

And yes, these reproductions are copyright infringement and tantamount to theft, but unless the IP owners do something to enforce their rights, nothing much is going to happen.

Exactly. This is probably the best way to report it, given the system. The #1 wrong, to me, is them lying about what it is. Misleading in that way. It should be removed for that, but ebay employees aren't going to know that. They are however, sometimes trigger-happy about copyright infringement (sometimes in cases where it isn't), so that's the best hope for removal I suppose, since it's accurate to report it that way as well.

Sucks some people have to be so shady.

It doesnt appear that the seller is a big time game seller.Based on current listings and sold stuff.So,maybe they are not aware?

You could email them and let them know

Of course they could respond and show appreciation(unlikely) or they could tell you to kiss off,which would lend credence to them knowing full well what there doing

In which case,you could do exactly what you did here,put the word out

I have literally reported hundreds of these kind of auctions to eBay in the last 2-3 years. Only two of them were ever pulled; both from the same seller and within a couple days of each other.

Sometimes I wonder why I ever bother anymore. The problem has getting exponentially worse and there's absolutely no indication that anything tangible is being done about it. The lengths to which people are willing to go in order to squeeze an extra dollar or two out of you is depressing as hell and an indication of a much larger problem.

In fairness to the seller though, they did include an "or best offer" option.

Seeing as 99% of listings that have these turn down every offer they get or counter offer with an absurd price I'd say this in no way absolves them. I'm guessing if someone gave them an offer for whatever the fair market price is(or even slightly higher) they would be declined and counter offered with something like $198 instead of the the BIN of $199. I'd say rat them out for posting a dishonest auction.