IGNORED

What could be wrong with my heavy sixer?

Atarian7

Erasers (especially the pink variety) are good for cleaning edge connectors too.

haven't tried that but wouldn't you have to open up the cart (destroying the label) to do that? i couldn't imagine trying to shove a pencil eraser into a cart very easy or safe for the cart...

I imagine you could use a small eraser block. I still prefer the qtip/alcohol, but sometimes you just need something a little stronger.

Erasers (especially the pink variety) are good for cleaning edge connectors too.

haven't tried that but wouldn't you have to open up the cart (destroying the label) to do that? i couldn't imagine trying to shove a pencil eraser into a cart very easy or safe for the cart...

I imagine you could use a small eraser block. I still prefer the qtip/alcohol, but sometimes you just need something a little stronger.

i couldn't think of ever needing anything stronger then brasso

I have used pen erasers in the past (the whitish ones), they work very well on bare metal, and don't leave as stringy of a residue. They are harder with something in them that is more abrasive. I would not use them on anything gold plated, but then again, if actually gold plated, you shouldn't need to do anything anyway.

Like the gray end of this.

http://www.shoplet.com/Paper-mate-Union-Ink-Pencil-Eraser/PAP70522/spdv

I have had this problem with Atari carts myself anf i hope in your case it is just dirty carts or edge connector,if the game cart int connector is visable then i fold a sheet of white paper several times until rigid, add a few drops of solvent/pcb cleaner on the corner of the paper and rub the cart internal edge connector,you will see the dark carbon deposits being left on the paper as you rub and you can do this dry too without adding a cleaning fluid but i prefer to add some whenever possible.With official Atari carts you can insert something small into both slots at the same time in the underside of the cartridge and push the internal door inwards to reveal the connector inside.

If you suspect the connector inside the console is dirty (with the power off) i soak the edge connector of an old activision cartridge in solvent cleaner and insert/remove the cart in the system around 30 times and i find the repeated inserting of the game cart with remove dirt,you can also clean dirty cartridges in this way if you do not feel confident in pushing back the flap inside atari games just spray the cartridge connector inside the console and just insert/remove the dirty cart several times.

Edited by R.O.T.S