Gaztee

Well they were touted as being "Made in America" at a time when most stuff being made in America was junk... Think of what American cars looked like in 1993. That's right they looked like this:ford-tempo-parts.jpg

Absolute crap. At least the Jag was made by IBM, which has always made solid machines. Granted it still feels flimsy next to a N64.. The CD unit was made by Phillips...imagine how a CD Walkman made by Phillips in 1995 is fairing today...my guess it that they are all in the garbage. So yes the Jag CD is a little more fragile.. but isn't any CD unit compared to a cart unit? The N64 could fall off your TV stand and you could keep playing it....not the case with the PS1 or Saturn.. It is what it is and I like it.

Edited by travistouchdown

I have about 7+ JagCD Units, I have taken a load of them apart, I can safely say I agree with CJ, they are poorly made shite. Look ugly, too and are very unreliable. I'd say I am a pretty solid Jagfan, I am also not a fan of the CD unit.

I really should get them fixed up and out of my garage, just can't bring myself to bother with them.

If I tell a certain someone that you are sitting on them and how much they're worth, I bet we can get you sat in front of them for a day and a series of eBay auctions to follow shortly afterwards :P

Oh noes, that'll crash the market! :lol:

• Like 3

Think of what American cars looked like in 1993.

I owned a 1993 Pontiac Grand Prix for 3 years. Great car. I bought it with 360,000 KM and sold it with 390,000 KM.

It was super reliable and ran great. In that time, all I put into it was gas, oil, a battery, and a new set of winter tires. I only sold it because my girlfriend thought it was ugly and didn't like being seen in it. Yeah, pretentious...

Not all 'Murrican cars in the early 90s were junk.

I've wanted this game for some time. Ever since it was announced/introduced.

Unfortunately, as is common with many independent games releases, they often take a long time to release vs the initial announcment.

Sadly, the physical (Cart) release of this title came at a time where I wasn't in a comfortable enough position to pick up a copy (unlike Another World, which was more of a, rug-from-beneath-your-feet situation, unfortunately).

It saddens me to think that:

1) I may never have the chance to own or play the cart release of this title and...

2) the prices that the Jaguar "community" will command upon resale of said cart release.

I saw what happened with AW, a week after it shipped.

What can I say? I hope Matthias plans to make more carts in the future. As with AW, I don't see the point in spending lots of time creating a piece of work, only to limit release quantities in the end. I understand, financially, developers just want to play it safe vs pre-orders, but with certain releases, there will always be a demand for them in future. Obviously, just not the same demand as the intial 'hype' window...

I've wanted this game for some time. Ever since it was announced/introduced.

Unfortunately, as is common with many independent games releases, they often take a long time to release vs the initial announcment.

Sadly, the physical (Cart) release of this title came at a time where I wasn't in a comfortable enough position to pick up a copy (unlike Another World, which was more of a, rug-from-beneath-your-feet situation, unfortunately).

It saddens me to think that:

1) I may never have the chance to own or play the cart release of this title and...

2) the prices that the Jaguar "community" will command upon resale of said cart release.

I saw what happened with AW, a week after it shipped.

What can I say? I hope Matthias plans to make more carts in the future. As with AW, I don't see the point in spending lots of time creating a piece of work, only to limit release quantities in the end. I understand, financially, developers just want to play it safe vs pre-orders, but with certain releases, there will always be a demand for them in future. Obviously, just not the same demand as the intial 'hype' window...

I don't think Matthias plans on never producing more carts if he ever sells out. Just because one 3rd party sells out their stock, doesn't mean it's gone forever :0)

Has Matthias actually said he's out of carts himself right now? If he's burned through all those Atari boards/eeproms he had, there's always Jagtopus that can help him produce further runs if needs be.

I don't think Matthias plans on never producing more carts if he ever sells out. Just because one 3rd party sells out their stock, doesn't mean it's gone forever :0)

Has Matthias actually said he's out of carts himself right now? If he's burned through all those Atari boards/eeproms he had, there's always Jagtopus that can help him produce further runs if needs be.

I'm just being a victim to trends set by earlier cart releases and being negative tbh Sh3. That is, when I align my preconceptions agianst your rational facts, outlined above.

Seems there is hope yet then? :)

Another World...would be nice to find a copy of that someday. And Elansar...I want to play those suckers!!

In other news jammed on Impulse X CD for a few hours last night. Reminds me of Breakout, but with powerups, etc. Good thumping techno soundtrack, and utilizes the memory track to save high scores!

Edit: Just realized this was my 64th post.. Between Jag and N, that number means a lot to me. Do the Math. Don't get stuck with one of those lame 16-bit systems, and their slow boring games ;)

Edited by travistouchdown

has anyone made a descent amount of self created levels, extracted them and sent them to Matthias? i have done some work on this and sent in a levels file,

there may possibly be something coming up to make the process easier to change user levels in the future but not yet, more testing needs to be done to make sure it works and then the final decision will be up to Matthias to say yes or no on the release as it uses most of his code.

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

If you own the CD-version of Impulse X and a MemoryTrack (and some cables, a Windows-PC,..) you can now read up some info on how to make backups of your "Selfcreated Levels" and how to restore them on your MemoryTrack:
http://www.mdgames.de/impulsexselfcreatedlevels_eng.html.

So you can also start to exchange your level set MT-files with other Impulse X users now :)

Kind regards
Matthias

• Like 1

I tried playing my copy today, I guess I need some tips on how to play the game better. I probably have weeks logged in on the Macintosh and Atari ST Arkanoid and I'm thinking the rotary controller, as much as this game tries to adjust for it, just is not precise enough.

Do others of you use the ST or Amiga mouse and found that better?

I will go this far and say that it's the only way to play this game as it is meant to be played.

This.

Without proportional spinner control it becomes an exercise in tradeoffs that never quite feel right. Mouse or nothing. Don't take my word for it, here's what Duranik said earlier in the thread:

Thats right, mouse is the way to go for this type of game. If you have the ability create your own mouseadapter and find an ST or Amiga mouse. We always tried to convince Matthias to do a Limited Edition version with a mouse included, but it was to complicated to find them. Never liked the rotary myself, not on Tempest and not on this game.

I tried playing my copy today, I guess I need some tips on how to play the game better. I probably have weeks logged in on the Macintosh and Atari ST Arkanoid and I'm thinking the rotary controller, as much as this game tries to adjust for it, just is not precise enough.

Do others of you use the ST or Amiga mouse and found that better?

I haven't owned an Atari ST in over a decade... but I found the rotary controller that I have to be perfect for the game. I don't remember where I got my controller from, but it has the rotary in place of the "+" directional button. It works REALLY well for Impulse-X.

I haven't owned an Atari ST in over a decade... but I found the rotary controller that I have to be perfect for the game. I don't remember where I got my controller from, but it has the rotary in place of the "+" directional button. It works REALLY well for Impulse-X.

Can you post a few pics of the controller please?

Yes, I use an ST mouse and that works great!

I will go this far and say that it's the only way to play this game as it is meant to be played.

As a substitute for the mouse control is the added Pro Controller support also very good imo.

This.

Without proportional spinner control it becomes an exercise in tradeoffs that never quite feel right. Mouse or nothing. Don't take my word for it, here's what Duranik said earlier in the thread...

So, Impulse X isn't worth owning/playing if you're not gonna run with an "ST" mouse...?

Well, at least now I know.

In what sort of situation do you get to sit down and play your Jaguar with a mouse anyway??!

Put a mouse mat on the couch next to me in the living room? Pretty sure the lead won't be long enough??! :P

Can you post a few pics of the controller please?

Sure... but it might be easier if I find the correct example of it online (so I don't have to take a picture with my camera).

Shoot... I can't find the exact one that I have, but it basically looks like this. The knob is a little smaller (but still made of metal).

$(KGrHqR,!owFCqQzOFkOBQ3ulyWdjw~~60_12.J

I'll get a picture of mine later today or tomorrow.

So, Impulse X isn't worth owning/playing if you're not gonna run with an "ST" mouse...?

No. More along the lines of once you've had black you never go back.

In what sort of situation do you get to sit down and play your Jaguar with a mouse anyway??!

Put a mouse mat on the couch next to me in the living room? Pretty sure the lead won't be long enough??! :P

Only ever had a Jaguar set up in the living room once and that was day 1 in 1994, when I wanted to drink in the ossumness of Cybermorph on the big screen.

My Jaguar is on a desk. Well, it usually is when it's not gathering dust under the desk as it is now. And a mouse is only a trackball lying on its back, you can sit on a sofa with a trackball :0)

Not interested in using a mouse with my game consoles. Ever. Same with keyboards. If I want to use computer peripherals to play the likes of Arkanoid or Operation Wolf, I'll just play them on an Amiga.

Jagpad rotary controller works just fine with Impulse X and that's exactly (and originally) how paddle games are meant to be played. ;)

• Like 1

Not interested in using a mouse with my game consoles. Ever. Same with keyboards. If I want to use computer peripherals to play the likes of Arkanoid or Operation Wolf, I'll just play them on an Amiga.

Jagpad rotary controller works just fine with Impulse X and that's exactly (and originally) how paddle games are meant to be played. ;)

But Impulse is a Falcon game and with a mouse is exactly (and originally) how the game was meant to be played :0)

• Like 2