IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim discussion

moycon

About the money thing, every time you go out to find something for somebody or to clear out a place full of bad guys, jut grab anything that costs a lot and sell the stuff when you get back to a town. If you do that every time you go out, you'll have a boatload of money.

To expand on this, get the perks that give you more carrying space. One of the stones gives you +100 space if you activate it and one of the Pickpocket perks (Deep Pockets) gets you 100+ space. More space to carry stuff....more coin. I usually visit several towns after clearing out a place to sell all my booty and get thousands of coin. On top of this, if you learn alchemy, you can craft potions that will sell for 100's of coin apiece. Again make about 10 of these and sell them all in all the towns. Thousands more coin. You'll be rolling in the dough in no time,

Really hard to go up levels now. I'm finding I'm having to spend time working on skills I don't use much, such as Two Handed, Sneaking, and Archery to gain skill bonuses. Soon I'll have to spend time on stuff I've done nothing with, such as Crafting and Enchanting.

It's slowly working, though -- at level 40. Stanima and Health are 290 and Magicka is at 220.

Since I'm close to maxing out my bonsues with One Handed, Heavy Armor, and Speachcraft, I'm just saving the skill points that I need and starting to spend points on other areas that would be helpfull. I spent 4 points on Restoration to gain the ability to have my healing spells do more help and regain Magicka faster. I also didn't know about that carrying bonus frpm the Pickpocking so I'll have to look into that.

Making steady if slow progress in the game. Just got married. Starting to do the Thief and Dark Brotherhood quests. Also did a bunch of town quests in Winterhold and Riften and bought my house in Riften. The murder quest in Winterhold, Blood on the Ice, was very fun and one of the best ones I've done so far in this game.

Also, once you get a house, save your ingridents and any potions you don't need there. You'd be amazed at how much weight you can save doing that. :lol:

Edited by SoulBlazer

I've recently found Esbern below Riften. If you haven't gotten very far in the main quest he sits behind his door and tell you to bugger off. If you use the wooden plate trick to pass through into his chamber he is GREAT for practicing skills. Basically, once in his chamber you can bash at him and cast spells without him attacking. As he is an essential NPC he never dies.

Edited by theloon

The game is totally awsome, in many respects, but it does require some patience. It can take a bit going around the countryside trying to find how to get to a location, or clearing out a large cave or ruin with several parts. Sometimes it takes me about two hours to totally finish one of the large places.

The Shouts are very cool. I like using the ice freeze ability, especily on 2-3 enemies to buy myself some time to attack them one by one.

Ran into a elder dragon the other day. First time fighting one of these 'king' dragons and it was totally nasty. Took a while and several re-loads in order tro wear him down.

Awsome having a wife who is a merchant. Now when I go home to Whiterun to stash loot I can sell my stuff to her and buy potions and the like.

Saw something cool yesterday, a nice touch. I was in Dawnstar, doing a hit on someone for the Dark Brotherhood, and then went to one of the merchants to sell some loot. While doing the sale I heard a roar and saw a dragon swooping down to attack. I raced to the outskirts of town to get some open ground to entice him to land, and it worked. Being just a normal dragon and with the help of town guards, it didn't take long to kill it. It was a pretty quick battle, about a minute all together. As the dragon laid dead with his bones, more guards came up along with some townspeople to gawk at it, and I heard various comments from the stunned and surprised townspeople, such as 'I can't believe our town was attacked by a dragon' and 'would you look at that -- an actuall dragon! The stories are true' and 'wow, good job!'. It was a lot of fun. :-D

The funny thing is is this: after the gaurds made the comment about A dragon attacking a town, they will turn around and whine about how thier cousin is off fighting dragons while they are stuck on gaurd duty......taking an arrow to the knee while drinking mead. Seriously, are all guards drunken disabled vets?

Edited by Skarrj
  • Like 2

Here is a tip I found for the Xbox360 version (not sure if it works on PC) so you end up with 2 followers.

If you've completed pretty much all of the Dark Brotherhood missions you'll be in the new sanctuary - which you'll have spent some money on so it looks nice and sparkly.

If you already have a follower (I always keep Lydia with me) then the Initiate in the sanctuary will not be able to join you. Pick a fight with Nasir (sorry if spelt his name wrong) and yield when he gets mad. This will start a quest where the basic aim is to put things right with your "family". Essentially Nasir is pissed at you and you can't go about attacking brotherhood members without consequence. Talk to the initiate and she'll say she can't join you until you've made things right with Nasir.

Speak to Nasir. Pay the 300 gold fine. The quest will end. Now talk to the initiate again and she'll join you right away.

Now if only there was a nude mod for the Xbox 360 version (cough).

Has anyone found a solution for some of the lingering bugs in the 360 version? I have quests in the Misc section of my journal that won't go away or are not correct (kill a dragon when the dragon is dead there allready, vist a home when I have, etc.) and also have quest items stuck in my inventory -- I did the quest, got the reward, but can't get rid of the item. Annoying since they fill up weight!

Has anyone found a solution for some of the lingering bugs in the 360 version? I have quests in the Misc section of my journal that won't go away or are not correct (kill a dragon when the dragon is dead there allready, vist a home when I have, etc.) and also have quest items stuck in my inventory -- I did the quest, got the reward, but can't get rid of the item. Annoying since they fill up weight!

The problems have added up for me too and I took a break. I still have the texture bug too...

Let me answer that like we're at a major gaming web site and I'm one of those sycophantic dumbasses who has a big bag of excuses for any game that comes out:

"Do you know how complicated this game is? Of course there are going to be glitches. The game company is busy and can't fix every little damn problem you crybabies have! As great as this game is, you're lucky it didn't cost $500!!! Now stop complaining and enjoy what you can and ignore the glitches, you whiny crybaby moron!"

I don't think we can do anything except wait for patches, then wait for more patches, then wait for more patches, then buy the game of the year edition and wait for more patches.

If they undroppable, they dont weigh anything. I have a few of these too, but ive dropped everything in my are inventory and these weigh nothing. The dragons should resurect after awhile if you have a quest to kill them on thier mountain.

Edited by Skarrj

Not sure could handle more than 2, they keep getting in the way !

There is a guy who sits in a bar who does magic and he will stay back most of the time if you have him follow you. Every once in a while he will get in my way and die (and I'll have to reload), but he's not as bad as most other followers like Lydia.

Man, last night was annoying.

When I first start playing, Whiterun was the first city I arived in and where I bought my first house. Even though I have a few others, its still been my main base of operations. Between the house and the city I have everything I need save for a Arcane Enchanter and a Smelter, and I've been using it to store all my extra stuff -- weapons and armor I want to hold on to, extra potions, books, etc.

For the longest time I was just dumping stuff into the two chests there, not thinking ahead. It finally reached the boiling point last night when I got tired of the lag due to how much stuff was in the chests and trying to find anything. So with a touch of OCD, I spent about two hours just taking all the loot from the chests and re-dividing it among the containers in the house.

Now I have one just for weapons, one just for armor, one just for rings/necklesses, one just for potions, and so on. It should make it a lot easier down the road finding things that I need.

Also spent quite a bit of time in town trying to improve some skills such as Sneaking, Pickpockting, and Crafting. Got my level to 45 due to the work in it. Unless I start paying trainers soon, though, I'm going to have a hard time going up levels. Some of my magic ones are still quite low, but those are spells that are hard to use.

Tonight I plan to mop up some of the misc quests that I have and going to Windhelm, a town I've not spent much time in. There are STILL a few towns I've not even set foot in yet! :ponder:

Did a fun quest last night also where I got drunk in the inn in Whiterun and then woke up in another town all together being yelled at for damage I did and saying I needed to borrow a wedding ring to propose to someone, when I'm allready married! :-o That one took some twists and turns, and ended up being a Deadric quest. Nice reward at the end, though, and I didn't have to hurt anyone.

Some questions for some of my fellow game players:

1) Where's the easiest Smelter to use? All the ones I've seen are in ruins or in the middle of the countryside, I'm looking for one at or near a town/city.

2) Is there a way to make a more powerfull healing potion? The ones I can make just do a measly 25 points.

3) I know there's Deadric armor SOMEWHERE in the game, the best Heavy Armor you can find. I've been using Ebony stuff for a while, but been reluctant to improve it cause I know I'll get Deadric somewhere. But by this point in both Morrowind and Oblivion I had found some. Where the hell is it?

4) How do you tell how many game hours you've put in? I see days playing but thats it.

Edited by SoulBlazer

Some questions for some of my fellow game players:

1) Where's the easiest Smelter to use? All the ones I've seen are in ruins or in the middle of the countryside, I'm looking for one at or near a town/city.

2) Is there a way to make a more powerfull healing potion? The ones I can make just do a measly 25 points.

3) I know there's Deadric armor SOMEWHERE in the game, the best Heavy Armor you can find. I've been using Ebony stuff for a while, but been reluctant to improve it cause I know I'll get Deadric somewhere. But by this point in both Morrowind and Oblivion I had found some. Where the hell is it?

4) How do you tell how many game hours you've put in? I see days playing but thats it.

1.) There are smelters in many of the towns, usually somewhere around the blacksmith area. Sometimes you have to go around the corner, but they are usually right there. For instance in Windhelm, after fast travel, head directly to the west and up some stairs, there is the blacksmith area at the top of the stairs to the right, a bit forward to the north is a smelter. Probably the easiest to get to.

2.) Have you improved your alchemy skills? I've been leveling up alchemy and while I'm not maxed out yet, I can make potions that restore 46 health. I suspect that will go up if I put more skill into alchemy. it also depends on what ingrediants I use. For instance Blisterwort and Impstool will only make me a 27 health potion, but Blisterowrt and Butterfly Wing will make me a 46 health potion.

3.) I use mostly light armor, with the exception of some Ebony boots I enchanted for pickpocketing, but is Deadric armor really the best? I ask because I notice a perk under blacksmith for making Dragon Armor. I figured you could use the Dragon scales and bones to make it and figured it would be pretty beefy stuff. I will say I haven't come across anything more powerful than Ebony yet so no help there.

4.) If you go to your Load screen and higlight a game save, under your name and level is the time played in hours:minutes:seconds. Unfortunately this increments even if you pause the game and walk away. So it's really usually pretty bloated.

Hope these answers helped some. ;-)

Thanks Moycon. As usuall, you rock. :thumbsup:

I was hoping for a smelter in Whiterun, my main base of operations. Perhaps the the other forge behind the Companions hall has one, I'll have to look.

No, I've not done anything with my Alchemy skills. Not enough points to go around. I've been working mostly on maxing out my main ones (Restoriation, One Handed, and Heavy Armor) with a few points spent on Restoration (to help my healing spells cure more and regain Magicka faster) and Pickpockting (to get the Heavy Pockets perk). If I have any points left, I'll spend some here...as I said, though, by the time you hit Level 45 it gets pretty hard to go up!

I haven't researched the Heavy Armor issue in detail, I just saw in glancing in the hint book when looking at something else that Deadric armor is listed after Ebony as the 'best'. Perhaps Dragon is a bonus? I've been saving all the Dragon Bones and Scales I ever got. :)

Woot, finally got my "enchantment" up to 100, now it's time to start jacking with my armor. I could have sworn I had a charmed item that had an enchantment boost (like "enchanted items are X% better) but now I can't find it. For that matter, I can't find my charmed items for better potion making either, and I KNOW I had some of those. Once I max everything out, make my ultimate enchanters getup, and have dual enchanting unlocked, I'm really going to make some shit.

As for bugs...one that really bugs me, at the moment is, the "save" bug. Each time I save, it saves to the slot above it....untill there are only so many slots above, then it saves to the slot you select. But I like to keep around 10 saves back, and once I save up to 10 slots again, it saves wherever the hell it feels like. That is aggravating. Other than that, I only really havve problems with caves I've already cleared, but I'm sent on a quest to get an item from said cave, only to find it never repopulated (all the other caves teem to repopulate, so I don't know)

Anybody experimenting with marriage? One of my friends has, they married a wearwolf LOL yeah...how the fuck? I ran into a quest in whiterun, you have a drinking contest with some dude, and weak up in some other town and everybody talks about all the stuff you did (wish I'd been there) and apparently, hooking up with someone was some of it, but while I still occasionally run into someone who says "I want money for X that I did for you and your chick" I have never run into said woman....of course, that was a daedric quest so...maybe there was no person, but I sure spent a lot on it (something like several grand for a ring, and I paid some dude apparently I had dared to break into somewhere and steal something, but eh...guess I could have whacked him, but...)

My only really big complaint about the game so far is....some of the dungeons are just a little "to" big I mean, I like to explore and such, but some of the longer ones feel more like mindless grinding., like the mages college that sent me to find something in Mizilt (something or other) looking for a magic staff or something, and at the end I find some dude with a giant machine you got to set up, he tells you where to go,b ut I literally spent over 5 hours clearing htat place out (of course, lots of heavy dunmer stuff, that going back and forth added a shitload of hours I imagine....makes me wish they still had mark, recall, and escape spells on here, fast travel will never replace that.

Man, last night was annoying.

When I first start playing, Whiterun was the first city I arived in and where I bought my first house. Even though I have a few others, its still been my main base of operations. Between the house and the city I have everything I need save for a Arcane Enchanter and a Smelter, and I've been using it to store all my extra stuff -- weapons and armor I want to hold on to, extra potions, books, etc.

Whiterun? Warmaidens has a smelter, and if you go to Dragons keep, the wizard dude there has an arcane enchanter. And they don't care if you use their stuff (or maybe you do have to do something for them first, but I did those for the experience anyways)

Oh, and for Daedric stuff, uh...I had to make what I had, I only found one daedric item, I think a sword for killinng a daedric person. And once you get your armorer up a bit, you can select the perk to make daedric stuff (I had this early on) Oh, be sure to max out your heavy armor, and select the heavy armor perk that lets you have zero armor weight if you wear all the same kind of armor...I've always been a light armor person myself, but this perk makes it great. Oh, and does Daedric armor out rank dragon armor? You can make heavy dragon armor from dragon bones, scales and leather straps (IIRC, that was all you needed) And the light dragon armor uses more scales and leather straps.

[edit] Dragon scale armor is better than glass armor (the best light armor as far as I know) so I assume that dragon bone armor is better than daedric armor, but I don't know.....get your armorer up, once you hit 100 percent (buy all iron and leather straps and make daggers, the fastest way to level up as far as Iknow) you can make legendary/flawless upgrades to your armor, also, get that first armorer perk, the one that lets you upgrade magic items....also, you can "upgrade" your items several times, as you progress, you can reupgrade to get even better. Not sure what the max is, but I had several enchanted armors to give me a % increase in armorer and made and upgraded my stuff from 100%... there's probably an upper limite, they don't give you actual point ratings, but just say "fine, excellent, master, perfect, flawless, etc"

Edited by Video

LOL at Video -- my eariler posts contained some of the same things you said. :P (About getting married and the deadric quest that starts when you get drunk).

And yeah, not being able to find things is why I spent like two hours Wed night re-organizing all my loot in my house. :-D

Hear you on the dungeons, though. That's one of my (few) complaints about the game -- some of them really do take a LONG time to clear out. Of course, I also search everywhere for items and what not, so it takes longer as opposed to someone who just blows through them.

I fully intend to spend some points in Armorer once I can spare them. As I said eariler, I maxed out (or plan to max out) the Speechcraft, One Handed, and Heavy Armor areas case that's what I use the most, and also spent some points on Restoration (for the healing magic boost and extra Magicka gain) and Pickpocking (to get the Extra Pocket perk). Levels are hard to come by now (I'm at Level 46) but I'll do what I can.

There's defentily some unused skills I can spend some time on, such some as the magics and Two Handed Weapons.

I know I can also train with the teachers, but what I hate about it in this game compared to eariler ones is that it doesn't seem to really 'do' anyting. As I complained about eariler, if you spend money to raise your Speech to, say, 80, you can't unlock the perks that you could at 80. You still have to get up there 'natrualy'. I wasted about 30k in gold finding that out the hard way. :mad: Without that, it's useless.

And yeah, I found that Smelter in Whiterun tugged into the corner. I feel like such a idiot. ;)