IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 4 Round 20: River Raid

zylon

I had time to play several rounds. I played with the stock controller, with the masterplay w/epyx xj500 controller which is not working well anymore , then I tried using the slippery SEGA Genesis controller w/my masterplay. I kept consistently getting in the 80,000's but couldn't beat the record. I kept losing all my lives between bridges 37 and 40. Will try another day. zzz

oooo, it's on fer real now! Now that I figured out how to get my Videogame Wiz A52 flash cart to work again, I can play more HSC challenges. I actually don't have a 5200 River Raid in my collection - I used to but it stopped working.

I just checked, it's been 4 years (2007) since I got that high score. Didn't seem like that long ago ... how time flies.

Luckly yours still works...Btw what happen to him and his website?

Some outstanding play going on here! Keep up the great play guys and a :thumbsup: for seeing the INTV version. I haven't seen that one since my cart died last year. :skull:

I found the best way to play that one for me was to use both thumbs on the disc and an index finger on the fire button.

I want to record my strategies here, for the next time we pick up this game so I can read them and remember. :)

Getting max points: I try to shoot every single fuel tank in levels up to 20. Fly over them to refuel partially then shoot them before they are gone - they are worth more points than most enemies. But once the going gets tough - perhaps from level 25 and up, but especially in the 30's - I stop shooting them as much and drain every iota of fuel from them so I won't be forced to hurry to the next one. Learn the tank timing so you always shoot a bridge with a tank on it. To prevent overshooting, learn to press the fire button once for each enemy and quickly release - so you don't shoot bridges before the tank hits it. I guess most of this is common sense. Don't go out of your way just to hit a measly 30-point ship.

Level 26 deserves mention because in its narrow river path section there is 1 stray pixel thrusting out - you must weave left/right to go up that path, you can't just fly straight or you'll crash by hitting a peak of land. There were games I lost 3 lives in a row on that same path.

Level 30 is where it ramps up to expert level difficulty. I'm not sure which, but in either level 30 or 31 there are no fuel tanks or maybe just 1 which you'll inevitably shoot by mistake. For 30 and 31 my goal is to just get to the end and shoot the bridge before I die, thus I can continue on the next stage.

There are definitely times its easier to go left than right - it depends on if you'll get ambushed in tight spaces by jets or copters. Mostly I fly right but I've come to recognize a few places where left is easier. Don't be afraid if the left path initially has a shooting copter or a tank shooting - these aren't difficult to shoot or weave around if you are flying slow enough and you'll avoid ambush situations from that right path.

Also, learn to wait for a closer enemy to get into your line of fire, while you take out more distant enemies up the screen in the meantime. Often only subtle movements left/right are needed. The enemy you MUST kill is the shooting copter because its well nigh impossible to pass him once he starts moving & shooting. Once the river starts getting clogged with enemies, you probably can't shoot them all - if you pay attention to the direction each copter/ship is facing before it moves, you learn to see the path you can go weaving between them - hard to explain in words, but many will start moving AWAY from you if you fly behind them - there's a definite path and you'll need to speed up at times to survive.

• Like 1

Some outstanding play going on here! Keep up the great play guys and a :thumbsup: for seeing the INTV version. I haven't seen that one since my cart died last year. :skull:

I found the best way to play that one for me was to use both thumbs on the disc and an index finger on the fire button.

That's a shame your cart died zylon, cuz' the Intv version of River Raid is pretty good :thumbsup:

Is 5200 River Raid going to be a three week game, or is the contest over :?

147,250!!!

This took a whole lot of practice, but I thoroughly enjoyed it... River Raid has long been a huge favorite of mine, and it's been great spending the past two weeks really trying to get good at it.

A couple tips I can add to Cafeman's list: Go slow except for when you need to speed up to avoid obstacles or get to a fuel tank. Going slow gets you more points as you can nail more targets. And nailing more targets makes it less likely that you'll run into them.

Also, I always go for the left channel when in doubt... in my experience, there are fewer tight spots going left than right.

Love this game!

post-2092-0-07530700-1322428770_thumb.jpg

I've basically hit the wall with this one… enjoyment has turned into frustrations and it's back on the shelf now… I'm just not feeling this game anymore :ponder:

this is my personal best (though does nothing for my position…)

I'm done…

3e8d1670.jpg

*bows*

OUTRAGEOUS SCORE!

Thanks! You really set a high bar... I've been playing this pretty regularly since you smashed your own record earlier, and it was a hell of a challenge to beat it!

Here's my 2600 score... 97,620. The game seems so sparse now compared the the 5200 version. Here, all the challenge seems to come from avoiding running out of fuel, as depots become EXTREMELY scarce as you get to the higher levels.

post-2092-0-44333700-1322433499_thumb.jpg

I started one last game at 8:52pm while waiting for my computer to load.

Final 5200: 86,320 B-39

At least I made it close to where I usually score on this one. This round is now over and without further ado, I'll start prepping the next one and finalizing this one. :)

post-25215-0-00935500-1322447396_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

FINAL scores:

147,250 sdamon (B-59) (+3+11)=14

117,110 Cafeman (B-50) (+1+10)=11

87,090 (B-38) Sonic R (+1+9)=10

86,320 (B-39) zylon (+1+ 8)=9

64,330 JacobZu7zu7 (+1+7)=8

61,030 chuckwalla +6

46,880 roadrunner (+1+5)=6

41,630 Bemis +4

39,080 (B-20) atariron82 +3

29,090 peedenmark7 (+1+2)=3

17,930 ahuffman +1

Thanks to all who played and welcome to some new players who've joined us late in the season. :)

A special congrats to sdamon for winning the round and setting new records both for highest bridge reached and total score. :thumbsup: