IGNORED

HSC8 Round 18 Donkey Kong & Jewel Bits

therealbountybob

Glad to see Jewel bits on HSC !

About Jewel bits, last version is 1.1.

Here you can gain more points per free time level saved. You need to finish as soon as possible the level for more points. And this is the unique difference with version 1.0.

There are 36 levels on total.

On future (when i have a free time) I'll fix the music bug and create a 1.2 version, but the rest of game will be the same.

Congratulations to Scalak and Justin Case, you passed my high score of 53000 approximately :D

Hi Allas,

always nice to see the authors of the games here :thumbsup:

had the crazy sounds right away so rebooted and got to level 10 before it went mad again! Various noises remind me of other Atari games, weird car horns like in Porky's Revenge?! Anyway it freaked me out so I didn't beat level 11, that's my excuse anyway!!!

22,679 :)

post-19705-0-77410800-1322182815.jpg

Didn't beat my DK score :twisted:

Jewel bits is a good game but I can't believe you guys could be bothered to play through all 36 boards again!

Couldn't believe that Scalak had scored so much higher without completing the game, so had to give it another [few - read as all day!!] goes - just to try and regain the top spot. Sure that Bluecat will push me further down the list soon :(

Perhaps I'll have more luck with DK

Edited by justin case

Jewel bits is a good game but I can't believe you guys could be bothered to play through all 36 boards again!

Couldn't believe that Scalak had scored so much higher without completing the game, so had to give it another [few - read as all day!!] goes - just to try and regain the top stop. Sure that Bluecat will push me further down the list soon :(

Oh yeah just looked back at his screenshot! I just assumed that he'd completed it with a score like that :-o

Couldn't believe that Scalak had scored so much higher without completing the game, so had to give it another [few - read as all day!!] goes - just to try and regain the top spot. Sure that Bluecat will push me further down the list soon :(

Don't think I've quite got your dedication! Great score by the way.

1st tables:

Jewel Bits

1st Scalak 76405 12pts

2nd justin case 68439 12pts*

3rd bluecat 27244 10pts

4th McKong 25299 9pts

5th Deteacher 23565 8pts

6th therealbountybob 22679 7pts

7th Philsan 2200 6pts

8th roadrunner 1287 5pts

9th Fres 678 4pts

* Bonus for completing game

Donkey Kong

1st Deteacher 124100 12pts

2nd therealbountybob 112800 (13,700) 13pts*

3rd Scalak 89000 10pts

4th Fres 60100 9pts

5th Goochman 45600 8pts

6th justin case 40200 7pts

7th Philsan 31100 (9,900) 7pts*

* Bonus for Level 1 (2 screens) in 1 man

Finally I beat my DK score only to discover I needed to smash one more barrel ;)

124,000 (still hitting the wall on Lv5)

I thought it was possible and finally tried it, and yes, you can jump the flaming oil drum in the pie, sorry cement factory! Newbies also checkout jumping off the end of platforms into the screen edges! Such a good game, superb controls you can backwards jump or hit a barrel and turn around before it breaks.

JB got to level 13 before suffering from turrets :ponder:

post-19705-0-39135600-1322414664.jpg

Yeah, and I was playing by the rules and not using save states, so each time I had to run through 30 levels to give it another try. I have my score for level 30 ready to go as my submit score and am now using save state to keep working a strategy for level 31... If I figure it out I'll do a complete run and see what I can get.

As for DK I've got the worst score in history... so I have to complete jewel bits :D

Finally I beat my DK score only to discover I needed to smash one more barrel ;)

124,000 (still hitting the wall on Lv5)

I thought it was possible and finally tried it, and yes, you can jump the flaming oil drum in the pie, sorry cement factory! Newbies also checkout jumping off the end of platforms into the screen edges! Such a good game, superb controls you can backwards jump or hit a barrel and turn around before it breaks.

JB got to level 13 before suffering from turrets :ponder:

Yep level 5 is where it gets tough, I think sometimes you just need a bit of luck cos some runs are definitely a lot easier than others

Anyone got any hints or stratagey for level 31 of Jewel Bits? I keep running out of time no matter what I try.

31 is pretty much the worst level (it's certainly the only level number I remember) my strategy for it is to keep moving: for a lot of the screens I kept concentrating on a single area (like the corners) and inevitably many of the blocks I smashed didn't get me any closer to completing the level. This style of play is no good for 31; you should be constantly looking for cells that arn't yellow yet and going for these. Work from the bottom upwards so that you benefit from chain reactions as much as possible.

And if all else fails cross your fingers!

Jewel Bits,

I keep runnin' outta time on level 1 :woozy:

ok let's help rr ;)

start at the bottom, don't go too quickly as sometimes you miss a better line horiz vs vertical... click a bit and then move the stick rather than clicking two bits. Tip: you can click on the bit you want to move into the line or the bit you want to move out of the line, this can minimise the time you spend moving. If you get really stuck just go ballistic and make loads of lines and you'll probably start a chain reaction worthy of CERN's hydron collider :-o (think they used that to make the Jewel Bits)!

I'm still stuck on the Turrets level 13... 25,012

post-19705-0-21755700-1322482606.jpg

McKong - what was that you said earlier? :grin: looks like I need serious DK session later ;-)

Jewel Bits,

I keep runnin' outta time on level 1 :woozy:

ok let's help rr ;)

start at the bottom, don't go too quickly as sometimes you miss a better line horiz vs vertical... click a bit and then move the stick rather than clicking two bits. Tip: you can click on the bit you want to move into the line or the bit you want to move out of the line, this can minimise the time you spend moving. If you get really stuck just go ballistic and make loads of lines and you'll probably start a chain reaction worthy of CERN's hydron collider :-o (think they used that to make the Jewel Bits)!

I'm still stuck on the Turrets level 13... 25,012

post-19705-0-21755700-1322482606.jpg

McKong - what was that you said earlier? :grin: looks like I need serious DK session later ;-)

That is definitely beatable, my best is around 190k - 200k, I don't think I've ever beat level 6

85,000 for Donkey Kong.

I'll post a screenshot tomorrow since that's a big score for now. I have a feeling it won't be in a few days. ;-)

My best first level, one Mario score is 10,700.

I had a strange thing happen on the second red ramps/barrels board. I made it all the way to the top without jumping a single barrel. I never had that happen before. I didn't use a hammer or go up any half-ladders either. Just a lot of dodging and running up ladders at the last second.