IGNORED

5200 games that are better than other versions?

Sonic R

I'd put in Star Raiders. I got the Atari 800 first and loved Star Raiders on that. But when my friend got the 5200 and we played that version, it was so much easier to deal with the analog stick with all the buttons right there than using the classic 8-direction joystick with the Atari 800. I do like the "space ship bridge" feel of the Atari 800 version, easier to play with two people ("Shields up!") but it's easier to get through the battles with the 5200 version.

I also love the 5200 Space Dungeon for the same two player gunner/pilot aspect. Like flying a space Apache helicopter with each player dealing with only one half of the game. It would be pretty stressful trying to kill the enemies when the other player would make some sort of evasive maneuver, preventing you from hitting enemy that was right in your sights! No back the other way, the other... dead.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO Space Dungeon, w/ the coupler, is far superior to the MAME (i.e., arcade) prototype.

Anybody care to comment on the above? I just realized that I can play the arcade version on my xbox, and now I'm wondering if I should bother trying to get two working 5200 controllers for this one game when I can just use both sticks of the xbox pad instead.

IMO Space Dungeon, w/ the coupler, is far superior to the MAME (i.e., arcade) prototype.

Anybody care to comment on the above? I just realized that I can play the arcade version on my xbox, and now I'm wondering if I should bother trying to get two working 5200 controllers for this one game when I can just use both sticks of the xbox pad instead.

you only need one 'working' controller for Space Dungeon… one with a functional start button… as long as both sticks are working, you are good to play! none of the other buttons are necessary for a game of Space Dungeon :)