IGNORED

New game released: Kobayashi Maru

CyranoJ

I like the way the scoring system is, knowing that I'll have to survive not too long before an extra life is added (which kind of "feels good"), because I lose them just as fast anyway.

It's a good point and exactly why the existing version will always be available as it is now and those few people who took an ejagfest copy, along with those involved in producing the game, seem to have snagged themselves something of a rarity for the collection ;-) Of course, we'll make a 1.1 copy of the game available to them at no expense. I know exactly where you're coming from with the addictive qualities of gaining those extra lives... we don't want to break the fun aspects of the game by 'fixing' it too much!

Just goes to show that no matter how much you test your game internally before release, once it's out there people are sure to try to exploit any weakness in the AI/scoring/etc. or just simply play the game the way they like & have fun with - a good advert for getting your stuff out there before making a release. It's a shame Sauron wasn't able to test the game to this extent during development as his skills in testing are there to be seen above :) but things came together quite quickly at the end.

Once we're happy with a 1.1 version (which will also include different high score management and a feature of some of our older games that people loved) we'll have the CDs pressed and see if anyone wants to sell them on for us (I doubt we'll ever go back to managing our own releases again as it is too time consuming, taking away that time that should be spent making the next game, not printing/burning/boxing/sending).

• Like 4

Reboot of Jagware are proud to present their latest freely-available game for the Atari Jaguar games console, written to utilise the new Raptor game engine.

Kobayashi Maru is our version of an arcade favourite from the early 80s. Use your rotary controller or regular Jaguar pad to steer your warpship in this arcade space shooter, battling countless drones and huge boss craft in ever-tougher waves of attack.

Featuring subtle use of the Jaguar's CRY graphics capabilities, background graphics blend together as you tear around in the upper atmosphere over 4 worlds. Head over to the Kobayashi Maru download page to obtain the full game in your favourite file format: BJL, ROM or CDI disc image. Have fun!

km1.png

Are you going to do a sequel to follow in footsteps of Time Pilot '84? :grin:

Are you going to do a sequel to follow in footsteps of Time Pilot '84? :grin:

It does add a few little touches over the original but loses a little of the quick pick-up-and-play fun due to the slightly more strategic gameplay. Of course it'd be a simple upgrade ulilising the Raptor map module, but I don't think anyone would want it just yet, so we'll schedule that one for 2014.

• Like 1

I played several games of this, first with the regular pad, then with my hacked 2600 driving controller, and finally with my T2K Commander rotary. I think it's really cool that you guys made a game the not only utilizes the rotary, but reacts differently when using different rotaries. And since it only uses the one button, it's really the only game out there that one can accurately use a 2600 rotary. (Ever try playing T2K with one? The one button controls all three buttons, so it rather changes the dynamic of the game.)

The "rotary trim value" for the 2600 is 3, whereas the T2K Commander was 4. what does that mean, anyway?

Really fun game, guys! I love Time Pilot, so this is a wonderful treat.

Cheers, fellows!!! :)

Smeg

The "rotary trim value" for the 2600 is 3, whereas the T2K Commander was 4. what does that mean, anyway?

It's an adjustment on how often the rotary is polled, higher click-count rotaries get polled more than lower ones.

Really fun game, guys! I love Time Pilot, so this is a wonderful treat.

We had fun making it! Glad you are enjoying!

• Like 1

Hi Smeg, Trim is not defined by the connected pad, but is user-definable. It allows you to fine-tune the ratio between the movement of your dial to movement in the game and have the spinner respond in a way that suits you better. Use the A and C buttons to adjust it up and down (higher values = more responsive). Of course, this means your VCS paddle will be stuck at a trim value of 3 if it lacks these buttons - the only work around I can think of for that is to spin the dial to switch to rotary, swap pads for a regular one, adjust the trim & then swap back - hardly worth the effort :)

The T2K commander has the rocker button, I'm not 100% sure how that would work with trim on the menu (I contacted the creator a while back but I can't recall what he said right now, it was while we were working on Rebooteroids). Use of that pad could be a problem in 'roids and other games we have in the works in future as they will require unique presses of A, B and C for game functions. Possibly the use of keypad buttons could come to the rescue, but without having a pad to test with we'd not be sure how something plays.

If anyone wants to be sure if their existing or future hacked rotaries work with our games, I'd suggest putting one in the hands of CJ. We've already spent over $350 on rotaries to get where we are now where we're happy it works with the three most popular devices: Chaos reins, Tyrant and Jonathan Ascough. As this code will be included in the Raptor release, there could well be a large number of rotary-enabled titles that use our methods.

• Like 1

Thanks for the in-depth response on that. Now that I know I can make changes, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

As I think you know, the T2K Commander's A B and C buttons have been "rewired" to use that rocker bar, (A on the top part of the bar, B in the middle, C on the bottom... or vise versa... can't remember right now) but all three buttons function just fine for moving along a menu. It takes practice, to be sure, to hit the right button at the right time. You can't push A and C at the same time, but "B and C", and "A and B" are a bit easier to push simultaneously. Not sure if that's what you meant.

I'd probably be willing to lend you folks my T2K Commander for future game testing. After all, you've given us so much... it's the least I can do (other than buying Beebris and Superfly, of course).

Cheers,

Smeg

I'd probably be willing to lend you folks my T2K Commander for future game testing. After all, you've given us so much... it's the least I can do (other than buying Beebris and Superfly, of course).

Thanks for the offer, but if the pad works with KM we're probably good to go :)

• Like 1

Err... KM has 1 fire button, rebooteroids has more :D We know it'll be OK spinner-wise, it's A, B & C that are non-standard.

Don't forget the Num-Pad, weren't you planning on using some of those keys for Rebooteroids? Most rotaries have one but not all, and in some cases (askew's pro rotaries) some buttons might be wired together / shorted out. Yeah, it's a minefield all right. Maybe have an option for people with non-standard / broken controllers to use the buttons from player 2? Assuming, of course, that there isn't a 2nd player wanting to play. T2k does that for the bonus rounds. If the first control touched in a bonus is on pad 2, that one is used instead, meaning you can use a d-pad for them which works better.

• Like 3

Fair points - I wasn't thinking about the buttons.

However, we don't want to be mailing rotaries around the planet on loan for testing. As sh3 said above, if anyone wants us to consider including direct support for their rotaries it's probably best if they let us have a test unit. I think $350 already spent on them is more than enough!

We should make a multitap rotary game!

• Like 2

This game really looks neat! I have a Chaos Reins Rotary controller, so I am glad I can get more use out of it. I would love to buy a hard copy of this game, but you guys have none for sale. Maybe I can download a disc image of it for the time being. I have never burnt a disc to play on a Jag CD. Is the Jag CD usually pretty good about reading CD-Rs? I know some systems like the Turbo Duo and Turbo CD don't like them very much.

Edited by chany60126

This game really looks neat! I have a Chaos Reins Rotary controller, so I am glad I can get more use out of it. I would love to buy a hard copy of this game, but you guys have none for sale. Maybe I can download a disc image of it for the time being. I have never burnt a disc to play on a Jag CD. Is the Jag CD usually pretty good about reading CD-Rs? I know some systems like the Turbo Duo and Turbo CD don't like them very much.

Depends on the type of media you use. The better quality media, the less chance of burning a coaster. Just be prepared to go through a few discs before you get a good copy regardless. And be sure to check out the guide on the Reboot website for burning games to CD-R. 8)

• Like 1

I just loaded this on my Skunkboard and spent a while playing it.

Pros:

- plenty of "blow stuff up real good" action. One of the reasons I really enjoy 2600 Asteroids or Berzerk; just zap the crap out of stuff and blow it up.

- graphics are smooth and look good, especially the CRY background.

- the warp effect screen is very cool

Cons:

- it really, really needs for a 'pause' to be implemented.

- I would like to see some kind of acceleration or 'thrusters' to be added to your fighter, either by hitting another button, or pressing up on the Jagpad.

Overall, this is a great little game, and a good addition to the Jaguar library.

Edited by ls650

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I've just played the game. Fun, Fun thanks for the game! :grin:

We've not forgotten about this, the game is now finished and GGN has been working hard on the new webscores system for the proper release version. Once the game-side webcode gen is in and we're happy with it, V1.11 will be mastered & off to be pressed.

The game will feature webscores, pause, adjusted scoring mechanics (no more camping out for silly scores), top 10 scores/names for memory track and a few little fixes. Anyone who bought the ejagfest version will get a free pressed final copy at ejagfest '12. If I can source a supply of new jagpads there will be a SE version with switchable rotary controller pack, mostly just for those who worked on it and maybe some as prizes in future compos, not sure yet. Most people have rotaries already so I doubt there would be any demand for us to offer that version as well.

• Like 2

I would definitely like to support you guy by buying a copy. You can also add me to the SuperFly DX list too.

You shouldn't say that in public, you'll get bombarded with PMs telling you how evil we are ;-) :lol:

It's looking like we'll need a run of SFDXs, people keep asking for it. Or maybe we can do a multi-game disc to help those who missed that and Beebris, put Downfall on there as well, that should make it worth doing if people would fancy it.

EDIT Hmm, there's also Raptor tutorial game, two versions, maybe we could sneak those in there and hide them under a key combo :D

• Like 2