IGNORED

Pac-man Update for Atari 8-bit

tep392

I love this Pac-Man,finally after 30 years we will get arcade like version.

I was playing it on Atari 800 PAL and noticed problem with cut scenes animations, sometimes big pac-man sprite while chasing the ghost was not completed(missing uper or lower part of "jaw"). In "bear" level ghosts are not moving smoothly.

i noticed that too. but it dosent do it every time.

Edited by AtariGuru

I love this Pac-Man,finally after 30 years we will get arcade like version.

I was playing it on Atari 800 PAL and noticed problem with cut scenes animations, sometimes big pac-man sprite while chasing the ghost was not completed(missing uper or lower part of "jaw"). In "bear" level ghosts are not moving smoothly.

I'll see if I can figure out what is going on. Unfortunately I've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to do much play testing. The graphics engine was limited to 8x10 sprites so I had to do a little hacking to make the double height pac in the intermission. I should be able to figure it out.

Something that might surprise people is that it appears 7800 Ms. Pacman was built directly off of this version. I've been able to use the 7800 source code to help me figure out the how the 8-bit version works. While the graphics code is completely different, the game engine, monster logic, etc. is about 95%, line by line identical. The variable tables are also virtually the same.

Just played on my PAL 800XL, wow! this is much tougher!!

Same comments as above plus when you are caught I think theres a bit of pacman debris before the death sequence. Also doesn't return to title screen after your go & the hi-scores are not displayed?

Was that pause after killing the ghosts the same length as the arcade ver? - might seem a tad long but perhaps it gives the player a quick rest!

That bear mode feature is kinda neat - the ghosts move in surges, maybe this would be make a separate copy of the game?!

Keep up the great work :thumbsup:

Just played on my PAL 800XL, wow! this is much tougher!!

Ms. Pac-man did adjust the sound and colors for PAL but didn't adjust the speeds. I fixed it. :)

Was that pause after killing the ghosts the same length as the arcade ver? - might seem a tad long but perhaps it gives the player a quick rest!

The delay should be reasonably close to the arcade. I used MAME as a reference but didn't do any precise timing so I'm sure it's off. I'll tweak some of those things after I finish the bigger changes.

Thanks for the compliments! I really appreciate it.

With version 2 I've fixed a few bugs and added joystick button start. The uneven monster movement on the bear level was a mistake I made with the speed constants. It should look smoother now. I also found a typo in the program which may be the cause of the corrupted sprites you see occasionally. I havn't seem them myself, so I don't know if it's really fixed. Please let me know if it's still happening.

Perry

pacmanv2.xex

I worked up the beginnings of a title screen last week. The artwork is derived from the original cabinet. I didn't use too many color changes, as I wanted to stick to the original simple color scheme. You're welcome to use it for your version if you like.

post-6369-0-01804600-1323413426_thumb.png

Looks nice MrFish, but I'm trying to go for arcade original, like this. No title needed. That would work nice on a cartridge label.

post-24519-0-37410300-1323485250_thumb.png

I worked up the beginnings of a title screen last week. The artwork is derived from the original cabinet. I didn't use too many color changes, as I wanted to stick to the original simple color scheme. You're welcome to use it for your version if you like.

Looks nice MrFish, but I'm trying to go for arcade original, like this. No title needed. That would work nice on a cartridge label.

Thanks. Yea, I figured you were going to be using that screen, as I would too. This is more like a preloading screen or an intro type of screen (think Bomb Jack), which would come before that screen. I can just release it as an executable. That way anyone who's interested can tack in onto the front of the binary (or any Pac-Man binary) using "Integrator". :)

Seeing this Arcade picture and as you're adding White for the Eyes you could also add the Blue and get them exactly like Arcade.

How about this?

post-6369-0-86242800-1323505627_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2