IGNORED

Pac-man Update for Atari 8-bit

tep392

Hi, I think pacmanv5 is the latest version in this thread. You know I think you can edit/update the original post so the latest version is in the original post instead of digging through pages to find it. Anyway in version 5 on NTSC, the red ghost is kinda magenta, but the cherries and strawberries look red, but in the original pacman.bin the red ghost was correctly red, but the cherry and strawberry were magenta instead of red. I should mention, this is using Altirra 2.0 with default palette.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi, I think pacmanv5 is the latest version in this thread. You know I think you can edit/update the original post so the latest version is in the original post instead of digging through pages to find it.

Thanks,

Bob

post-10165-0-50637300-1325439824_thumb.png

One of the nice features of the forum page is the link button on the topic.... Just double click it and you get a list of viewable or downloadable items in that topic....

Hi, I think pacmanv5 is the latest version in this thread. You know I think you can edit/update the original post so the latest version is in the original post instead of digging through pages to find it.

Thanks,

Bob

post-10165-0-50637300-1325439824_thumb.png

One of the nice features of the forum page is the link button on the topic.... Just double click it and you get a list of viewable or downloadable items in that topic....

Ahhh, I've noticed the paperclip before, so I knew there were attachments in those threads, I just never knew you could click on it to see all those attachments. I'm starting the new year a wiser man. Although I still don't think it's a bad idea to update the original binary.

Thank you

Bob

I don't see any edit button in my original post. Just report, multiquote and quote.

Hmmm, I actually don't know how you update your uploads, I just know I've seen posts where the author has made a change and has stated they updated the original upload. I was playing with v5 again in altarri and if you switch to PAL instead of NTSC, you do see a red ghost. There are some differences between the 2 systems colors, so you could try to find a red that looks red in both or add code to detect which system you're on and adjust the color that way. By the way, did you ever look into if you could change the pupil eye color to black instead of the ghost color, I think it really would look better.

Bob

Perhaps you have to be a subscriber to edit your own posts after a while ?

The paperclip is ok but lists every attachment graphic etc so there are 40+ for this thread already :ponder:

Don't forget to make the game startable by pressing fire in the demo mode (to save me from getting up for that walk to the TV) ;)

We're playing Pac-man 'Arcade' (and a few others) in the High Score Club's Season 8 Finale... everyone welcome to play see link below :)

I noticed earlier in this thread someone created graphics that made the pupils of the ghosts black instead of the same color as the ghost itself. If that can be done, I think it looks better. Actually aren't the eyes blue in the arcade game. Maybe you could use the wall color in the eyes instead of black. Not sure which would look better, but I think either would look better than the current look.

Thanks,

Bob

From my experience with hacking the Ms Pac on the 8-bit back in the day, the white of their eyes are a white rectangle behind the Monster. Black is created by emptiness, so leaving them black would only allow more of the white to show through. (If the white wasn't there, we'd probably see the dots through their eyes) The Atari 8-bits do not have multi-colored sprites (aka: players), so the 4 players and 4 missiles must be shifted around, faster than we perceive, to create the illusion of multi-color objects (which is why game play is choppier on Ms Pac Man than PacMan.).

Don't forget to make the game startable by pressing fire in the demo mode (to save me from getting up for that walk to the TV) ;)

Have you tried it? Should start from the menu and game over screens by pressing fire. :)

Have you tried it? Should start from the menu and game over screens by pressing fire. :)

but not on the demo so you have to wait or get up press start and then get back to your seat without (i) being eaten by a ghost or (ii) sitting on the cat or (iii) both ;-)

[

but not on the demo so you have to wait or get up press start and then get back to your seat without (i) being eaten by a ghost or (ii) sitting on the cat or (iii) both ;-)

I see. I better get working on that then. I'd had to see your cat get squashed. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another update.

I've tweaked the NTSC colors, added joystick selection of options and fixed some bugs. Since I can't test on PAL and I've heard the current colors are messed up, I just made the PAL color codes the same as NTSC. If your not happy with the colors please suggest better ones and I'll make the update. You'll need to give me the Hue and Luminance values. Thanks. You can now select the start level and 1 or 2 players by pressing the joystick left or down respectively. It's nothing fancy, but it was very simple to implement since the bits for those direction correspond to the same bits in the consol key register.

I've also have a bin available now that can be flashed to a 1mb Atarimax cart. This new version saves the high score on the flash cart at the end of the game. Only one high score is saved and no initials. If you want to reset the high score, type "RESET" from the menu screen. One thing you will notice is the game will only go to the strawberry level. I'm going to be selling carts of this so I've decided to make this a demo version. I'll still be updating the xex version which will maintain full functionality. It just won't have the high score save or the animated menu screen.

Next update will be adding the animated menu screen to the Maxflash version. It will probably take a few weeks before it's ready.

PS. I've put an easter egg in the Maxflash version. The key to finding it is in the characters ;)

pacmaxflashV1.bin

pacmanV6.xex

That's interesting. I was testing the flash cart on my 800xl (NTSC) and had a similar experience. It was working but then all of a sudden, I saw some colored vertical bars. I pressed reset and it went black. After that, nothing would run. I suspected a problem with the computer so I tried it on my 400, and all worked fine. I pulled apart the 800XL, and probed some of the signals and wasn't seeing anything on the data lines. I reseated the chips, and it all started working. I'm by no means saying you are having the same problem on your computer. It's just funny that I had a similar problem with verticle bars, then blank screen.

Seems to work fine in Atari800win in PAL mode.

observations: (tested on win800plus4.0 only)

* After hi-res highscore was added, pacman & ghost tops sometimes vanish on top row.

* Blue ghost feet not same as normal ghost feet.

* In intermission, ghost tears cape and foot now same color as cape. (earliest versions were ok)

* Start of apple round one ghost missing its Player cover.

post-17239-0-01368400-1327725291_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know. I am having exactly the same problem as MrFish on a real PAL 800XL. However, everything works fine on Atari800MacX.

OK. I don't have a PAL machine so I'm stuck using emulators for debugging. Works on Atari800win. I'll try it on Altirra and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the feedback.