IGNORED

Atari 2600 PAL and Composite, Svideo etc?

moijk

Hello.

As a child of the very year the atari 2600 was released I never got around to play with one in my childhood, the first computer I had contact with was a Vic 20, then the c64 when it was released.

But now I've collected a set of computers from the 80s and 90s. and well, I'd love to have a 2600. However, I don't fancy to run anything through RF so I'm wondering what kind of modifications one can do to a PAL until (I've only seen for NTSC) to allow that, or if I'd better get another of the 8 bit consoles from Atari to play the games through.

Composite, Svideo, Component, RGB, VGA - anything but RF.

• 4 weeks later...

You can do Composite and S-video mods, however you cannot do the "stereo" mod.

S-video is the best possible option for 8-bit Ataris as the video chip itself output in that format (technically it outputs chroma along with a series of binary signals that when mixed with the proper resistors make up the luminance part of an S-video signal)

The simple option is to get an old VCR with RF input and Composite or S-Video output. Then connect the 2600 to the VCR and connect the VCR to the TV.

If you are good with electronics check out this: http://www.atariage....pal-atari-2600/

You could contact http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/ they have a PAL AV Mod, but I haven't tried it myself.