IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

What's the deal?

The deal is that there are two versions of Star Castle.

A Kickstarter funded ended project of Star Castle by solidcorp programmed in 8K, no longer available new.

A homebrew AtariAge project that's 32K by CD-W with title screen, music, and high score table (rom available, limited carts made for a gaming expo), and work continuing on it from Thomas Jentzsch for later cartridge release in the AtariAge Store.

Quoting CD-W

"I'd just like to point out that "my" version is actually a team effort:

Nathan Strum produced the awesome sprites and artwork and spent a lot of time play testing the code.

David Dries and Nathan are working on the label and manual for the game.

Ivan Machado produced the awesome arcade style sound effects.

Richard 'Kulor' Armijo produced the cool title tune.

Fred Quimby helped with the ARM code to make the game work on the Harmony cart.

Thomas Jentzsch is currently optimising and extending the code to make it an even closer match to the arcade version.

Stephen Anthony extended Stella to support the Star Castle bank switching scheme.

All these people freely gave their time to make my version as good as it could be (apologies if I've left anyone else out!).

Chris

Edited by cd-w, Thu May 3, 2012 5:30 PM."

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 1

I got number 16 and finally got stuff hooked up and played it today. My sansei was so happy :)

The play really is great and I enjoyed how different it's rhythms are from the arcade and vectrex version.

I enjoyed the challenge of figuring out how to destroy the star castles in this version. It's firing mechanism is

different and I can't use my tactic of firing from one corner through another corner. I

have to get more up close and personal :)

There is something special about seeing your own title screen on a 2600 cart :-) Great port, imho.

Nifty controller. I never saw the sansei before.

Love your vanity screen!

Thanks :) I spent quite a bit of time on such a small amount of pixels. I did my initials as an homage to the block style of the vanity initials from the Apollo space chase initials advertised long ago. Then, in the rest of the space I did my best to illustrate the ship and castle from the arcade flyer along with the name...

• 1 month later...
I hope this has a theshold of difficulty and doesn't just increase into "unplayable"

As for me, it definitely reaches "unplayable." The space mines get so fast that I get killed no matter what I do before I can even move. I usually have at least 10 lives in reserve by this point and lose them all once I reach this difficulty.

It's still a fun game to play. But for me, the goal ended up being to see how many points I could score before I reach that level of difficulty (because once I get there, it's essentially game over).

As for me, it definitely reaches "unplayable." The space mines get so fast that I get killed no matter what I do before I can even move. I usually have at least 10 lives in reserve by this point and lose them all once I reach this difficulty.

It's still a fun game to play. But for me, the goal ended up being to see how many points I could score before I reach that level of difficulty (because once I get there, it's essentially game over).

Was the original arcade game like this?

Still waiting for my copy as well, now well over two months after the delivery date originally promised. I understand these things take time, but the lack of updates is pretty abysmal IHO.

His fingers are probably bleeding from the constant cart making and he doesn't want to get his keyboard wet.

The manual labor for these is rather intensive so progress has been slower than expected, but you can be assured Scott is plugging away at these and your copy will arrive sooner than later. :)

I don't know. I've never been good enough at the arcade game to find out.

Edited by KevinMos3

Yes, the arcade game got hard pretty quick, then it got impossible not long after it got hard. Of course this may mean I was'nt any good. Rmaerz is pretty damn good at the arcade version, hopefully he will chime in on this. I think he also posted some videos of him playing on Youtube (I might be wrong about that).

Yes, the arcade game got hard pretty quick, then it got impossible not long after it got hard. Of course this may mean I was'nt any good. Rmaerz is pretty damn good at the arcade version, hopefully he will chime in on this. I think he also posted some videos of him playing on Youtube (I might be wrong about that).

It would be odd if it really gets impossible. That would be poor design.

I haven't gotten my copy of Star Castle (2600) yet. I'm curious how this plays with a joystick. I'd like to get one of those button controllers to play with this game (I think they're called Starplex controllers?).

On the arcade side, my high score is 27,260. I scored 25K on Richie Knucklez Star Castle, 24K on Timeline Arcade's Star Castle, 23K on Funspot's Star Castle and 19K on High Score's Arcade Star Castle.

Here's a video of a 20K performance on Star Castle (MAME). Notice how the difficulty ramps up when you hit around 14K and the insane speed of the sparks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4FPd2KV_A

Here's a video of my world record performance of 1,010,720 on Star Castle (Vectrex). The Vectrex version is easier because the sparks never wrap the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgyaMScFjB0

• Like 1