IGNORED

Gauntlet clone

walter_J64bit

Uh, if one system has 8 times more RAM than the other, would it not be superior? Notice I didn't say Atari XL? But the game was likely programmed with the lesser models in mind. IMO, the C64 looks slightly better but it doesn't matter since that version is actually playable. It's fine work by Ziggystar, without question, but sadly it's just too much game for the 5200 to handle.

PS: I am an avid 5200 fan and defender, but hardware is hardware and there's nothing wrong with that.

Where do you get this 8x figure from? The 5200 has 16K RAM standard. The 400/800 could officially be upgraded to 48K back in the day.

Ziggy himself said it was a 64K [ROM] cart not 32K.

Here's a bit more info Quoted from a message to me from Ziggystar:

"Levels are actually from the NES version. I am picking and choosing the best ones and sort of duplicating them, the aspect ratio is a little different. I will have about 20 unique levels and then inverted ones of those and some treasure rooms for a total of around 48 levels.

John"
I did the sprite work for the 4player character sprites, but I'm pretty sure the animations for them were cut, and ya, they don't move well, as we already know.
  • Like 1

I thought the Mindscape version was the same as the US Gold/Gremlin version. Then again, Mindscape was on disk and apparently US Gold was on tape. How much RAM was in your system?

128K. I bought it in my 130XE days.

Someone made a youtube of the XE version, and yes, the US Gold/Gremlin version seems to be the same as the Mindscape release (title screen aside). While the monster animation is jagged and ragged, player motion is smooth. That's what I remembered from my gameplaying days, and if you're not stuck on the Arcade original (or better versions), it's a decent port for the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4oB7nYwV-4

I'm a big Gauntlet fan, and would *love* to see an updated version for the A8. Any chance of this, guys??

• Like 1

128K. I bought it in my 130XE days.

Someone made a youtube of the XE version, and yes, the US Gold/Gremlin version seems to be the same as the Mindscape release (title screen aside). While the monster animation is jagged and ragged, player motion is smooth. That's what I remembered from my gameplaying days, and if you're not stuck on the Arcade original (or better versions), it's a decent port for the system.

I'm a big Gauntlet fan, and would *love* to see an updated version for the A8. Any chance of this, guys??

A8/5200 you mean, right? :)

Let's not get confused over which version is being discussed. The official C64 and A8 versions were Mindscape/US Gold/Gremlin and probably was C64 native and then back ported to A8 using lowest common denominator programming with nothing optimized for A8.

I'm not claiming authority but Ziggy's thread comments lead me to believe he - or someone else - made an A8 version first which was "256K" but then reduced to "64K" for the 5200 version. I'd love to see video of this A8 version. It might've been 4-player with adapter cables or playing on a RAM upgraded 800.

As for the info about the levels of Ziggy's version ported from the NES version, well that makes it "authentic" since Tengen *cough* Atari Games *cough* did that work themselves. If I'm not mistaken, Ed Logg programmed the NES version as well as the arcade. Think that applies to Klax as well.

Edited by Lynxpro

Where do you get this 8x figure from? The 5200 has 16K RAM standard. The 400/800 could officially be upgraded to 48K back in the day.

Ziggy himself said it was a 64K [ROM] cart not 32K.

Sorry, 4x then. The full game was probably 64K, but the demo was only 32K. We're getting into semantics, the bottom line is that the game is just not very playable.

• 2 years later...