IGNORED

Looking for good Genesis racers.

Reaperman

You gotta be smoking crack if you don't like Super Moncaco GP on the Genesis. The RPG/Quest element they put into the home version is great, and it's one of the few games I really felt like I was "racing".

It's a little hard to get into today since our expectations have been raised with so many newer games, not to mention it takes dedication and PRACTICE. but it's still a quick favorite of mine to pop in now and then and see if I can make it to Team Madonna. :)

Edited by NE146

In no particular order some of my favorites:

Kawasaki Super Bike Challenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkcTtW-qzC0

Wow that's an insta-buy (just did actually). Now those are some graphics. It's also encouraging to see an attempt to have the back end kick around rather than the standard 'pole position' understeer model. Genesis is starting to really warm up for me in terms of racers.

Agreed. Never heard of this one but it looks fantastic. I'll keep my eye out for it and nab it if I can find a good CIB copy.

I bought both monaco games for really cheap, but I don't like them at all.

I 100% agree with that. I bought both, and in both their physics are the same understeer-only handling of 8-bit racers, but far less forgiving. Controls aren't rewarding at all. IIRC, the second one has a battery save, which would be a welcome feature on some other games though.

So far, the Domark F1 game has my vote for best open-wheeled racer. I'm still waiting for 'andretti-something-or-other' to come in the mail, and then I hope to do a youtube shootout between all six genesis open-wheelers that I have. I've said before that I don't do well at F1 video games, and that's still true, but I can probably put together a fair comparison.

Power Drive came a couple days ago, but I've been too busy to try it out. Looks awesome though, and it's nice to have that series on a system that I have plugged in more frequently than the jag.

I would like a really fun overhead racer on the Gen/Megadrive, I have power drive for the Jag. It's good :)

• 3 months later...

Looks like there's an F1 game from the same shop that did the Kawasaki game. It's got some impressive draw distance coming down some of the hills. I went ahead and ordered this one too. Genesis is sure not hurting for quality open-wheel racers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qofonsN3Nwc

There are two F1 games from that company for the Genesis/MegaDrive.

That video, despite the title, is actually footage of an earlier game. The game in the video is titled Formula One in North America and was titled F1 in Europe. So if that's the game you own, there's also an excellent sequel out there called F1 World Championship Edition (Which is a Euro exclusive). Here's video of the sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qEJcc0-uY&feature=related

And if that's the one you actually bought, the original shown in your link is also well worth a look as well.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

My all-time favorite Genesis racer is Super Monaco GP. (not the sequel although it is good too).

SMGP is an F1-style racer. If memory serves, there are like 16 courses. You'll have to write lengthy passwords to save your place. But it's worth the fun and rewarding feeling you get when playing the championship, selecting rivals, losing then memorizing the curves and trying again for a win.

And Super Hang On is really fun too. Arcade-style racing.

I can't agree more! That is still is one of my favorite Genesis games. I don't even know how many seasons I played though back in the day. The season/career mode is great. You move up the ranks and on to better teams with faster cars. Definitely lots of fun, and not too hard of a game to find.

Edited by 16-bit

• 2 weeks later...

called F1 World Championship Edition (Which is a Euro exclusive). Here's video of the sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qEJcc0-uY&feature=related

I did buy the older one, but this one looks just incredible. If it plays at (or near) the right speed on my genesis, I'll import it for sure.

On the earlier games, the left side of the screen is a little messed up, and it's a distraction (especially on the motorcycle one). I'm glad to see that they took care of it in the newer game.

Edited by Reaperman

The European Micro machines games are fantastic, and yeah, get yourself a speed switch. I love the military version. I imported them specifically because they are awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmUpJ9ICVZ4

That and ROADBLASTERS! AHHHH, for some reason shooting and racing are always so good together. (honorable Road Rash mention, kicking and chains are fun too)

The European Micro machines games are fantastic, and yeah, get yourself a speed switch. I love the military version. I imported them specifically because they are awesome.

I have the '96 one, but could really use a speed switch on my nomad. I haven't found good instructions yet. (I have the region switch, but as you can imagine, without color)

The original arcade version of Super Hang-On, a game many Genesis fans have fond memories of, is now available for download on current generation consoles (Although it's packed in with two other games on XBLA with the package titled as Alex Kidd & Co, so don't go looking for a download titled Super Hang-On there).

Fans of classic Sega racers should do themselves a favor and pick this up. The only problem is you won't want to go back to the Genesis game after playing this.

Edited by Atariboy