IGNORED

The official Atari-2600-to-ColecoVision discussion thread

Pixelboy

about ALIEN and to go with your idea, you could have one man of your team wandering the maze, with fuel reserve to reload your flamethrower when you touch him...if you wait too long the egg is hatching freeing a facehugger that will attach itself on the guy, he will run faster and become someone to avoid or stop moving and block that part of he maze.... another member of your team will replace him

I have no idea how it works now, but it might be worth considering making everything dark except what you can actually see in front of you (and maybe beside and behind).

Yes, if one of the facehugger in its seach for your companion is reaching the center, it could set the alarm of the base off, and you will have the flashing alarm light so you see part of the maze

about ALIEN and to go with your idea, you could have one man of your team wandering the maze, with fuel reserve to reload your flamethrower when you touch him...if you wait too long the egg is hatching freeing a facehugger that will attach itself on the guy, he will run faster and become someone to avoid or stop moving and block that part of he maze.... another member of your team will replace him

I have no idea how it works now, but it might be worth considering making everything dark except what you can actually see in front of you (and maybe beside and behind).

Yes, if one of the facehugger in its seach for your companion is reaching the center, it could set the alarm of the base off, and you will have the flashing alarm light so you see part of the maze

Awesome ideas, guys. :)

Demon Attack!

Demon Attack!

That's one one I've wanted to see on colecovision, though do you stay true to the 2600, or use some of the graphics from other systems?

I think the Intellivision version of Demon Attack would make a better blueprint for a Coleco conversion, given the added backgrounds and more importantly the impressive boss ship.

This IS an awesome thread that just makes me wish even more that the "Crash" wouldn't have happened so abruptly!Maybe if the crash was delayed for maybe say, 1-2 years, some of these 2600 to CV ports would've actually happened?I would love to have more Activision 2600 games ported to the CV.I wonder if the games were ported back then, would they be as good as today's home brews? probably not too likely.

All first generation of Activision Title that does not exists yet on colecovision!!

And but this one is on my TO DO list (and could be the next game i do after the one i 'm currently working on) , and i would like to reserve it : "STAR WAR : the empire strike back" (Parker) . Of course, as all my games it won't be a portage and i didn't try to do the exact same game. The gameplay will be the same , but i will push the limit of the colecovision technically in matter of scrolling , sound , and graphism.

You have me dieing for this!!! STAR WAR : the empire strike back was one of my favorite Atari 2600 games (next to Sea Quest) That game will be amazing on the Colecovision! :-D :thumbsup: I can't wait!!!!

All first generation of Activision Title that does not exists yet on colecovision!!

I fully agree with that statement, and I'm even going to take it one step further! Here's my contribution to this thread for today: The Activision "Fake Arcade Game" conversions! :D

In the good ol' Atari days, Activision released games that were original products ("original" as in made in-house and not directly based on existing arcade games of that time period) but many of those games still had a pick-up-and-play arcade vibe to them. Pretty much all of these games could be converted for the ColecoVision, and several of them actually were, like Pitfall, Keystone Kapers, H.E.R.O. and River Raid, just to name a few. But for those that didn't get a commercial conversion, the question is this: Would homebrew conversions offer anything better than the original Atari 2600 games? It's actually a fairly good question, when you stop to think about it.

If I were to do such homebrew conversions, I would go out of my way to graphically reformat the games to look like they're actual arcade game conversions, similar to what Opcode did with arcade ports like Space Invaders and Pac-Man. I would add a proper arcade-like title screen, with a flashing "INSERT COIN" under a beautiful title logo, a high score table, an attract mode, intermissions between levels, cute cartoony graphics (where applicable), everything that the game needs to appear like it's trying to reproduce every detail of the original arcade game... which doesn't actually exist! :P

And just to push the concept to its limit, the box art would feature a completely fake (but totally real-looking) picture of the arcade cabinet, just like the US boxes of Coleco's early arcade ports.

With all of this in mind, try to envision what these Activision classics would look like, as "fake arcade" conversions:

- Frostbite

- Pressure Cooker

- Chopper Command

- Enduro

- Crackpots

- Megamania

- Oink!

- Plaque Attack

- Seaquest

- Spider Fighter

Mouth-watering, isn't it? ;)

I Agree 100% that is one hell of a great list of fun games. I would love to see a Colecovision(arcade port) of each of those game! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Wow, I had completely forgotten about this old thread of mine. :) And I came up with some new ideas for "improved" Atari 2600 conversions since the last time I posted in it.

Shark Attack (Apollo)

This title seems like a rather poorly designed maze game, but I think that's only because of the 2600's limitations, and I actually see some interesting potential here. Aside from upgrading the graphics and giving the game an arcade vibe, I would make one big alteration to the game's design: Most treasures would be hidden inside the platforms, and you would have to bump them to reveal them, similar to bumping blocks in Super Mario Bros. This would give the game a search-and-explore characteristic, which is not often seen in maze games of this type. You would also have several types of animals (sea urchins, crabs, etc.) that would get in your way as you collect coins and assorted treasure, in addition to the shark and Nessie. Certain items could be picked up and used for a limited time, such as a portable sonar which would facilitate the detection of nearby treasure, or a harpoon to kill the shark (but another shark would come in after several seconds). Yep, lots of potential there, I think. :)

Towering Inferno (US Games)

I actually had a lot of fun with this game when I was a kid. But even back then, I felt that the game could have been so much more if done on superior hardware. In a ColecoVision version, the player would have to go through not just a single room, but an entire floor of the building, fighting spreading fire and rescuing trapped citizens (by touching them to take them in tow, and then leading them out to the exit). At the lowest skill level, you would have an unlimited water supply, but at higher skill levels, the available water would be more limited, and rescuing people would imply exposing them to unextinguished flames. The more I think about it, the more I see fun possibilities in terms of gameplay elements (like locating keys to open locked doors) but I think the end result could look quite different from the original Atari 2600 game. :)

How about we think outside the box a little on this one and make a "Worst of Atari 2600" compilation cart. Really if you think about it, there have been so many "Best of" style releases or ports of games from one platform to another that sometimes improve upon gameplay and graphics, but no one has ever been brave enough to take the worst of the worst and sugar coat it as something other than what it is... a "Box of Crap" to steal from a prominent AtariAge member. :P

It would probably take a MegaCart PCB to handle all the possibilities/candidates, the creation of a menu system for selecting games and writing the bank switching code, but even all of that could be handled just like the original programmers of the selected games did back in the day... CRAPPILY! You know, misspelled words, random menu glitches that makes selecting games impossible by random choice, wrong game loaded after a menu selection, etc. The possibilities are limitless.

I'm sure there are plenty of devious ideas that we can come up with for a box as well. As far as a manual, crappy games shouldn't come with a manual, rather it should be left up to the gamer to figure things out and to leave them guessing whether there is more to the game that they are missing.

I guess it's too late for this little project to take off and be ready for April Fools Day, but maybe this could be planned for release on 04-01-14 especially considering you (PixelBoy) have a pretty full plate of games to release this year already.

Just my two cents. :-D

How about we think outside the box a little on this one and make a "Worst of Atari 2600" compilation cart. Really if you think about it, there have been so many "Best of" style releases or ports of games from one platform to another that sometimes improve upon gameplay and graphics, but no one has ever been brave enough to take the worst of the worst and sugar coat it as something other than what it is... a "Box of Crap" to steal from a prominent AtariAge member. :P

It would probably take a MegaCart PCB to handle all the possibilities/candidates, the creation of a menu system for selecting games and writing the bank switching code, but even all of that could be handled just like the original programmers of the selected games did back in the day... CRAPPILY! You know, misspelled words, random menu glitches that makes selecting games impossible by random choice, wrong game loaded after a menu selection, etc. The possibilities are limitless.

I'm sure there are plenty of devious ideas that we can come up with for a box as well. As far as a manual, crappy games shouldn't come with a manual, rather it should be left up to the gamer to figure things out and to leave them guessing whether there is more to the game that they are missing.

I guess it's too late for this little project to take off and be ready for April Fools Day, but maybe this could be planned for release on 04-01-14 especially considering you (PixelBoy) have a pretty full plate of games to release this year already.

Just my two cents. :-D

Well, to be honest, I find the first paragraph in your post rather interesting, the rest not so much. :)

For instance, one could easely take a 2600 game like Math Gran Prix and rafine it a bit, without altering the game's design too much.

Also, I always imagined that if BasicVision were to become reality, people would start by trying to program simple games with it, and some 2600 titles make interesting candidates. Air Raid or Chase the Chuck Wagon, anyone? ;)

How about the worst elements of select 2600 games put into one CV game?

I...... can't ..... resist..... the..... temptation..... :mad: , so here we go:

:-D Well then, that would involve porting all of the 2600 library to CV format. With that being the case, it would be easier to just buy a Harmony Cart, load it up with all the 2600 rom images and then play them thru the ColecoVision with the Exp. Mod, #01. :-D

I kid, I honestly kid! |:)

Of course, if we had a Colecovision BASIC we could easily port batariBASIC games. =)

CatariBASIC?

Isn't BatariBASIC designed towards the 2600 hardware? The CV is very different under the hood...

Anyway, how about Basic Programming? The CV already has the required keypads. :)