IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2012!

56. Tigger's Honey Hunt (Nintendo 64)

Sweet-natured 2.5D platformer that's clearly targeted at younger kids, but still offers some challenge for the experienced gamer who seeks 100% completion. And I reached that mark, but not without effort: the last stage is tricky, and some of the time trials are pretty demanding!

I didn't pick this game up in a big lot, but bought it à la carte on Ebay after seeing a Youtube gameplay video that intrigued me. A few flaws notwithstanding -- unskippable cutscenes, excessively trivial minigames, and one too many layers of collectathonismus -- I have no regrets. It controls well, looks very pretty (which is mainly why I bought it -- I'm a sucker for 2.5D games in this style), and sounds nice.

Plus you get the incongruous cutscene where Rabbit suddenly appears without explanation, shouts "Tigger, please!", and runs away again. (No, I'm not kidding.) B+.

• Like 1

Completed yet another Disney title: The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse on the SNES. If Darkwing Duck was really a mod of Mega Man 5, than this clearly was one of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts :lolblue:

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs, Mega Twins, Block Block, Three Wonders, The Little Mermaid, 1941: Counter Attack, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Talespin, Mega Man 4, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, Magic Sword, Darkwing Duck & The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse

57. Star Wars: Rebel Assault (Sega CD)

I beat Easy and Normal last year, and started on Hard on New Year's Eve IIRC -- but since Hard takes away your targeting and dodge cues, a couple of the levels were essentially unplayable without memorization. When I ran into one of those (Level 6, the asteroid mission), I gave up in disgust and shelved the game. But then tonight my fiancée was kind enough to help me map out the two problem levels, and with her guidance I got through them.

Actually the asteroid mission wasn't too bad, and only took a couple tries to beat. It was the final Death Star trench run that was really ridiculous: you literally can't see most of the enemy turrets until it's too late, so shooting blindly into memorized locations is the only option. (The other tough mission is the approach to the Death Star, when you have to save a fellow pilot who comes under attack from several enemy ships that are almost impossible to hit -- but that was equally tough on Normal.)

Is it fair to hold Star Wars: Rebel Assault accountable for the kind of game it becomes on Hard? Yes, I'd say so, especially since it points up the basic flaw that scuttles so many FMV games: either you cue everything and it's Simon Says, or you cue nothing and it's unplayable.

The middle path is to cue just enough to guide the player, and Normal sort of does that -- but even with that in place, it's still plagued with poor hit detection, bitcrushed graphics that make it difficult to see what's going on, frustrating controls, counterintuitive stage design, and a laggy, buggy UI. At least it has passwords. D.

• Like 1

Just finished Mega Man 5 on the Wii since I can't afford a physical copy :twisted:

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs, Mega Twins, Block Block, Three Wonders, The Little Mermaid, 1941: Counter Attack, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Talespin, Mega Man 4, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, Magic Sword, Darkwing Duck, The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse & Mega Man 5

Luigi's Mansion (GC)

Never played it before. Fun and surprisingly challenging game. I understand why fans looking for the next great platformer were disappointed, but as a game on its own LM is a lot of fun and a worthy part of a GC collection. Plus, you play for SCORE as well as completion. Reminded me of Ducktales on the NES in that way.

Star Fox Adventures (Gamecube)

A reasonably entertaining zelda-esque adventure game, but its intended audience is clearly those under twelve years old. On the technical side of things, Star Fox Adventures is a solid game. The graphics are excellent by Gamecube standards, and the music is very good as well. However, the sound effects are generic and the voice acting is poor. On the gameplay side of things, it's a very shallow game, with simplistic mechanics, linear design, a convoluted story, and little challenge. There are some decent puzzles, but really, the only challenge in the game comes during several first person shooting segments that require you to aim with the insanely sensitive left analog stick--there were three such segments, in particular, that severely strained my patience. Star Fox Adventures isn't a bad game, but there's nothing especially good about it either. I finished it, and don't regret it, but I don't see myself ever returning to it. I give it a C+.

37. Lords of Thunder (Turbo DUO)

I picked this one up from a friend a couple of days ago and ran through it that same night. I slapped it on Hard and it took me a few tries to be able to get through it. Until just now, I have never completed the DUO version. Part of that is because in the past I would slap the difficulty on to "Master" (or is it Maniac?), where you have suicide bullets (essentially bullets that appear when enemies are destroyed). This makes it a hell of a lot more difficult, and I never finished it. So, instead of putting myself through hell again, I settled with Hard mode. But, man.. It was still tough. Enemies do a ton of damage, and later on in the game you are looking at dying in three or four hits (while losing most of your firepower on the first hit). It's rough, but the game is so good it doesn't really matter. The visuals are excellent, the soundtrack rocks, the bosses are designed well, and there is a good variety in firepower.

Phew... how many Disney titles did Capcom make? Must be close to the # of Mega Man games :lol:

Anyway, just finished Mickey's Dangerous Chase on the Super Game Boy, since I didn't setup my new Cube/GBA-Player combo yet :)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs, Mega Twins, Block Block, Three Wonders, The Little Mermaid, 1941: Counter Attack, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Talespin, Mega Man 4, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, Magic Sword, Darkwing Duck, The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse, Mega Man 5 & Mickey's Dangerous Chase

38. Painkiller (PC)

In an attempt to gather some footage for a potential video review on this game, I rolled through the game's entirety on the hardest difficulty setting ("Trauma" mode). This is a personal favorite of mine that I come back to at least once a year, much like the DOOM series, and it definitely comes recommended from me if you like "mindless" run 'n gun first person shooters. :thumbsup:

Finally beat UN Squadron on the SNES which I've owned since the early 90s but could never beat. I didn't know then that you could keep doing those supply bombing runs to get more money and upgrade planes. The game is not so hard that way.

Also beat Donkey Kong Country, obviously, on the SNES. I've been on a big SNES kick lately. The last few years I've kind of ignored it since it was the system of my childhood and I played so much of it in the past and I wanted to play the other systems that I missed out on growing up. Very solid system, really wish I could find a working copy of Doom for it :(

Edited by GKC
  • Like 1

58. Star Odyssey (Genesis)

Finally. Last year I'd reached the final boss (and gotten whupped) when I stopped for the night, planning to grind the next morning, and my savegame was corrupted overnight. (On discovering this, I think my exact words were "Are you f---ing kidding me?")

This year I didn't make the same mistake, grinding continuously as soon as I reached the final planet, and beating the boss on my third attempt. The first time I was just too weak, but after the second try, I suddenly realized I'd overlooked my offense-boosting magic -- and the magic's effects are cumulative, so pretty soon my Tolerian was dealing out more than enough punishment to compensate for the boss's 600HP-per-round gain.

It was actually sort of fun to play through the game again, but it is too heavy on the meet-'n'-greet quests, and otherwise there's not all that much to it. (I did find an item I'd overlooked on my first playthrough, though: the News, oh boy.)

The combat is extremely easy, and I didn't need to do any real grinding until the end -- in part because of the ridiculously high random encounter rate, of course. And the manual really is undercooked, with no explanation of the game's Force Items, and insufficient detail about the Force system itself: why isn't there a chart listing the number of Force Points used by different spells? Why doesn't it list the minimum ability required to combine elements?

Anyway, I'd give it a B, but I couldn't argue with a B-minus. And if I go back in a few days and find that my savegame is corrupt again, this time I'll laugh -- but I'll still dock the grade.

This evening I played through Quiz & Dragons on CCC2 for the PS2, coop with my wife :)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs, Mega Twins, Block Block, Three Wonders, The Little Mermaid, 1941: Counter Attack, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Talespin, Mega Man 4, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, Magic Sword, Darkwing Duck, The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse, Mega Man 5, Mickey's Dangerous Chase, Quiz & Dragons

Oh, and coincidally, I also beat Mass Effect on the 360 tonight :)

Whoa, I managed to play through two games already today: Varth and Eco Fighters. As usual the CCC2 versions on the PS2, certainly with unlocking all extras along the way :)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs, Mega Twins, Block Block, Three Wonders, The Little Mermaid, 1941: Counter Attack, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Talespin, Mega Man 4, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, Magic Sword, Darkwing Duck, The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse, Mega Man 5, Mickey's Dangerous Chase, Quiz & Dragons, Varth & Eco Fighters

Geist (Gamecube)

Although the story, art direction, and level design are all mostly average, Geist's unique core concept produces some surprisingly engaging gameplay. The FPS aspects of the game are a bit weak due to sloppy controls, but the puzzles are intriguing, and there are several excellent boss fights. Geist was entertaining enough to earn a B-.

Edited by Christophero Sly

• 2 weeks later...

And again, Disney... I played a couple of times through Aladdin until I've seen both endings. Actually I thought the easier to get Magic Carpet ending was the better of the two ;)

Capcom games beaten in 2012: Bionic Commando, Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man 2, Last Duel, Duck Tales, Strider, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Gargoyle's Quest, Chip 'n Dale - Rescue Rangers, Little Nemo - The Dream Master, Mega Man 3, Final Fight, Mercs, Mega Twins, Block Block, Three Wonders, The Little Mermaid, 1941: Counter Attack, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Talespin, Mega Man 4, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, Magic Sword, Darkwing Duck, The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse, Mega Man 5, Mickey's Dangerous Chase, Quiz & Dragons, Varth, Eco Fighters & Aladdin.

Mopping up on Tiberium Wars right now. I've finished all the missions with all intel and bonus objectives on the medium difficulty. I've done the same for all Nod missions (including Kane's Wrath) on Hard difficulty. I haven't finished any Scrin missions on Hard, and I need to go back through the GDI ones and earn some intel and bonuses.

For now, though, DOWN with GDI!