IGNORED

ALT TECH The Looming Cloud-Streaming Game Wars: OnLive Partners with Google

pocketmego

ALT TECH The Looming Cloud-Streaming Game Wars: OnLive Partners with Google TV

http://techland.time.com/2012/01/12/the-looming-cloud-streaming-game-wars-onlive-partners-with-google-tv/#ixzz1jIiTXESx

Forget “what’s in your wallet,” what’s in your TV? If you’re looking to pick up one of these newfangled Google TV-based televisions, make that OnLive, the cloud-streaming game service that lets you play high-end video games over the Internet without worrying about platforms, downloads, installs, or system specs.

The news comes in the wake of LG’s big announcement at CES that it’s partnering with OnLive competitor Gaikai to bring streaming games content — not the full smorgasbord, but an LG-selected number — to its Smart TV lineup later this year. Like OnLive, Gaikai lets you stream high-end PC games providing you have a 3 Mbit/s (5 Mbit/s recommended) connection. You play the games using a USB gamepad that connects directly to the TV.

I like that news. Hopefully Onlive will really catch on, and I won't have to worry about them going belly-up and me losing access to all my kick-ass games. Assuming the google tv buyers realize the functionality that they have.

I'm reminded of when VM Labs partnered with Toshiba and Samsung to sneak their Nuon gaming chipset into common DVD players. That didn't really go very far. They sold a ton of dvd players to people who largely didn't realize (or care) that they could play games.

• Like 1

I don't see ONLIVE going belly up any time soon. They just released the cloud desktop on the iPad and soon for androidl...which along with this google thing is going to be huge. I really think they are set to be a fairly big player in the next gen. But, we shall see.

I think all you can do initially on these new LG sets though is watch OnLive games....not actually play. Don't get me wrong, it may only be next month that full play ability is released, but then again I'm still waiting for my Colecovision Super Game Module too.

OnLive Viewer comes to Google TV, full gameplay capability coming soon

But if it comes to fruition, it's always nice to have additional options, even though I personally don't intend to give up my console anytime soon.

even though I personally don't intend to give up my console anytime soon.

Most people wouldn't--but would you rather plink down $400+ for the next console early on, or wait for a few price drops while playing a smaller selection of next-gen titles on onlive? Early next gen is where I see onlive's 'killer app' of not requiring new hardware coming into play.

• Like 2