IGNORED

How to beat Haunted House?

GameGirl420

:-o Okay, sorry if this is a dumb question but I've been trying to play this game lately and figure it out ,and have no clue what to do. I've figured out how to beat E.T. and I've seen other people beat Raiders of the Lost Ark,but Haunted House? I have no idea what the object is.

Anyways I do love the sound effects and the graphics. Nice game to put on in the dark when everyone's asleep,but I have no idea what to do.

Well, it's on this site. It's a pretty easy game, WAY easier than Indy, and quite a bit easier than ET even. Once you know what to do, it's quite easy to beat. And it's a quick manual to read. I like the background they provide at the beginning of the manual also.

OK, sorry, I thought everyone was aware of the awesome section of this site that has all the screencaps, box scans, manuals (scans and/or HTML), & other info.

Main HH page:

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=233

Specifically to the manual (sorry this one doesn't have a scan, just HTML, but the scan may be available over on AtariMania):

http://www.atariage.com/manual_html_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=233

Old man Zackery Graves. died in his mansion. They say he still haunts it...

This was one of my favs... So you have to collect the pieces of the Urn. The game really runs on variables- it's meant to start at a really easy mode, and then you can make it harder buy changing the game variation.

Okay... so the way it starts... you can see all the walls. In harder levels you can't. Also the Bat and Spider can't travel through locked doors. In the VERY hardest level they can. The Scepter makes you immune to the Ghost, the Bat and the Spider (except in the hardest level -the ghost is invincible). You can only carry one item at a time.

Only in the basic difficulty can you see everything. In the intended harder settings you cannot see the walls and items without using your matches (fire button). The default (easy) level is meant as practice. You need to find the three pieces of the Urn. When you hold one and find another, they combine. But this leaves you vulnerable to the enemies, unless you run around with the scepter. The house has at least three floors (the walls change color) that you can get too via the sides of the screen.

A little like Adventure, you need to bring the Urn (completed) to the bottom floor... then you win.

But doors are locked, so you need the key... using matches lets you see around you (all items are hidden, you need to use matches -you can use all you want, but the more you use, the lower your score).

I know this might be convoluted, but I hope it describes the game...

It is a lot like Adventure, but more condensed... and more startling, which is cool because it is supposed to be one of the first scary games. Playing it along in the dark, especially around Halloween, still works.

Watch out for Zachery.

Edited by CaptainBreakout

• 2 weeks later...

Other than the pack-in Combat, this was the first game I bought for my 2600. Must have been summer of '83, I bought it while on vacation and had to wait to get back home to play it.

Anyway, HH is a fun moody game. The harder levels were too much effort for me though. LG did you complete any levels yet?

It is one of my favourite atari 2600 carts and i finally it managed to find the time to sit down with it last year,i completed it on all nine games but i was having problems with game 7 so after completing games 8 and 9 i had to go back to it and it was another day or so before i managed to get good variance and crack level 7. :cool: .

If you want my advice get some paper and do a rough diagram of what doors are blocked on each game level it will save a lot of time in finding your way back to the ground level and exit door when you get all 3 pieces,this is what i had to do with the later levels (and still had trouble with game 7 lol)

• Like 1

Other than the pack-in Combat, this was the first game I bought for my 2600. Must have been summer of '83, I bought it while on vacation and had to wait to get back home to play it.

Anyway, HH is a fun moody game. The harder levels were too much effort for me though. LG did you complete any levels yet?

No I haven't completed any yet. Still trying to figure it out. I only play my games and systems on occasion as I always really never have alot of time to get around to them. Although I do love the start screen and how you can move your characters eyes around lol. So trippy just to put that game on late at night in the dark. I dunno why but the sound effects remind me of Pink Floyd lol.

Definitely try it out again tonight. I haven't really gotten down to playing it and figuring it out. Everytime I play HH I just run around the rooms for a few minutes lol,and then get bored ,turn it off,and then just put another game on. I will it seriously tonight tho.

I think I finally beat this game this morning!! :D

Okay so I went through only 2 rooms and picked up two item pieces, and then I went into this room on the right side and all of a sudden the whole screen started flashing and started playing what sounded like the Twilight Zone theme. Then all of a sudden the whole game stopped and the item turned into some kind of trophy. Does that mean I won??? lol Didn't even take long either. Took only 2 minutes.

Edited by lushgirl_80