IGNORED

800XL stuck asterisk key

rpc9943

Well, I'm not sure how to do that.

Turn it over, remove the screws from the bottom. Turn it back over, and then lift the top, lift the right side 1/2 inch, and the left side 4-5 inches. Inside you will see the kb connected to the mainboard by a ribbon cable, carefully with two hands lift up on it...

Connect power/video connections, and turn it on... if the key is still stuck, then bad 4051 or pokey. if it isnt stuck then problem in the key itself...

sloopy.

• 2 months later...

Okay, well it turned out that now it's just the break key that works, and everything operates just fine. This must be the keyboard. I took the atari apart and removed the ribbon, and pencil erased it. There was the same outcome. I also got two atari 130XE's which both don't load properly, not sure what the hell to do with those! I think we have an atari 600 somewhere at my parents, maybe I'll just get that and hope for the best.

• 1 year later...

Turn it over, remove the screws from the bottom. Turn it back over, and then lift the top, lift the right side 1/2 inch, and the left side 4-5 inches. Inside you will see the kb connected to the mainboard by a ribbon cable, carefully with two hands lift up on it...

Connect power/video connections, and turn it on... if the key is still stuck, then bad 4051 or pokey. if it isnt stuck then problem in the key itself...

sloopy.

I have the same problem with my "7" key... when I turn on the 800XL, the number 7 just keeps going across the screen... if I press down on the 7 key, it stops and the other keys are functional.

Should I follow sloopy's steps above?!?

Thanks