IGNORED

Music you listen to while programming

Animan

I don't listen to music a lot when I'm working against a deadline but if I'm just messing around it can be just about anything I listen to a lot.
My list of stuff I listen to a lot is pretty long and includes:
Stabbing Westward, Breaking Benjamin, Puddle of Mudd, Lit, Garbage, Live, Stained, Foreigner, Def Leppard, Paramore, Filter, NiN, The Police, Pink Floyd, Loverboy, J. Guiles Band, Van Halen, The Cars........

I knew a guy that listened to Black Sabbath records at high volume while chain smoking and drinking beer.
People called him Magic Bob.
I also seem to remember him telling me some things we wanted to do on the Amiga weren't possible but my very first Amiga code did them.
I guess there isn't much magic in Black Sabbath and cigarettes.

Edited by JamesD

• 2 weeks later...

When I lived in Colorado, I always had the devil's lettuce on call and listened to alot of Pink Floyd...

Just don't listen to UmmaGumma while coding or you will end up linking your retro 8 bit computer with an abandoned nuclear silo in Soviet Russia and starting something you can't finish.

Edited by Opry99er

Seem to have the same stuff on when doing a spot of coding, main ones at the moment are Anthrax doing covers of Smokin-by Boston and Keep on running-by Journey(both of which are surprisingly good), Pink Floyd's live version of Us and Them-from the Pulse album, throw in some Kings X, Opeth, Rush, Thin Lizzy, Metallica, Maiden and a bit of classical-and I am a happy man.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually put together a playlist for when I was doing homework when I was working toward a master's in software engineering. It was mostly mellow stuff...including "Ripple" by the Dead, probably a couple of tunes off James Taylor & Carole King's Troubadors album from a few years ago, etc.

Yesterday I worked from home...for some strange reason I decided to listen to Yesterday and Today by the Beatles while I was coding, and for some reason it worked quite well...

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've realized if I'm into "deep water", i.e. doing something I never or rarely have implemented before, I need relative silence just like many of you in order to concentrate, but if I would be working on something I'm fairly experienced in and mostly is about typing code that I know what it should be like, I can listen to radio or a list of previously mixed music. I would assume more of you have the same diversion between keeping focus or relax your brain.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bands:

Kraftwerk, especially Computerworld.

Ryuichi Sakamoto

Alva Noto

Chris Clark (aka ThrottleClark, aka Clark, etc.)

Wire

Gang of Four

Datasette

Isao Tomita

Wendy Carlos

Jean Michel-Jarre

M83

Tycho

Com Truise

Air

Serge Gainsbourg

Brian Eno

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

D.A.F.

Liaisons Dangereuses

Throbbing Gristle

Kluster

Cluster

Can

Neu!

Popol Vuh

Klaus Schulze (especially Irrlicht)

Ametsub

Aoki Takamasa

Klaus Roeder (especially Frankenstein's Babies)

Massive Attack (especially No Protection)

Frank Zappa

and who can mention Zappa without Captain Beefheart? :)

The Pixies

Sonic Youth

David Bowie (especially Low, and Heroes)

Japan

Sparks (especially No.1 in Heaven)

Telex

and others...

:)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Xplug - Plugin for Oracle Application Express 5.0 Page Designer
// www.oratronik.de - Author Filip van Vooren
//
//
// Music listened to while programming Xplug (in no particular order)
//   Kraftwerk, Loverboy, Apparat, Kebu, Hot Chip, New Order, Moderat, Fleetwood Mac, Sisters of Mercy,
//   Birdy, GusGus, Massive Attack, ...
//
// v0.1 - 2015-07-27  * Initial version
// v0.2 - 2015-07-28  * Bug fix:
//                       - pd_dock_grid_right() and pd_dock_grid_middle() now also work in non-english
//                         language environments => C_SPLIT_HANDLE does not longer filter on element title,
//                         instead we take the 2nd splitter.
// v0.3 - 2015-08-01  * Some enhancements

• 3 weeks later...