IGNORED

ColecoVision Arcade Controller (FINAL Prototype!)

retroillucid

Well, the inclusion of RollerBall (loose like Coleco provided games with their special controllers, but preferrably CiB) pretty much seals the deal for me. That "nut" of a shipping charge is a tough one to swallow, but maybe these can be driven down to a remote area of the border and passed on to someone in the States to handle shipping!!!

Put me down for a left hander controller like in the pics and video... joystick on the left, buttons on the right.

I don't live that far from the Ambassador bridge linking Detroit and Windsor. I can get a sweet shipping deal via UPS. I'm just curious if a Canadian can cross the bridge into Detroit without being inspected.

Got a buddy who is a customs officer at the Bridge... I'll ask him some questions about taking things across..

Just my own thoughts on this....

If its enough % US/Canadian parts/made then we have the free trade agreement with regards to any duty.

Also.. you don't have to declare its value as $250, its going to have ColecoVision right on it which you could say "its refurb, worth $20", LOL

I always ask people to put the value of used goods down on the package, (i know these are new, but they are homemade, do you plan on making fancy CV like boxes and sealing?)

I am pretty sure I can ship the arcade controller anywhere in the USA for $20, that includes packing it in a brand new box.

If that is a rough UPS quote, you should be able to do better with USPS Parcel Post... I would think.

Whatever.

I am pretty sure I can ship the arcade controller anywhere in the USA for $20, that includes packing it in a brand new box.

If that is a rough UPS quote, you should be able to do better with USPS Parcel Post... I would think.

Whatever.

Yeah, your right. The main thing is getting it done and hopefully being able to save everyone some money. Two thumbs-up for offering to help! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Whatever.

Yeah, your right. The main thing is getting it done and hopefully being able to save everyone some money. Two thumbs-up for offering to help! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Better to say high than low. I get a huge discount, so I am sure that even adding a box and packing it will still be a dollar or 2 less than USPS shipping alone. J-F needs to get me measurement and weight if he is interested.

have you guys tested it with a db9 to usb adapter it would be great if it would work on M.A.M.E

http://www.retrousb....&products_id=69

I have one of those and it does work for a colecovision controller but only the directions and fire buttons, the key pad does not work. So I would assume that would be the same with the arcade controller.

Wow that sucks I was just looking and retro zone doesn't look like they have the colecovision to usb kit anymore at all. I bought a few of those but had a lot of trouble trying to get them to work :? I only got one to work out of 5 :_( and retro zone refused to help me with it at all :mad: I wasn't sure if it was my poor skills or retro's stuff or the controllers that I used but I was pretty upset with the hole situation and gave up. I still think I have those things some where.

The old retrousb adapter DOES work with the keypad. I have two that work fine with the standard CV controller. I did have some issues with the Super Action controllers where it was problematic at registering the keypad presses (controller worked perfectly using a test cart on a real CV). I contacted retrousb as I suspected that it just required a tweak in the programming but he was non-responsive. So, I suspect that the adapter should work with the Arcade Controller, but the only way to know will be to try it.

have you guys tested it with a db9 to usb adapter it would be great if it would work on M.A.M.E

I have one of those and it does work for a colecovision controller but only the directions and fire buttons, the key pad does not work. So I would assume that would be the same with the arcade controller.

Wow that sucks I was just looking and retro zone doesn't look like they have the colecovision to usb kit anymore at all. I bought a few of those but had a lot of trouble trying to get them to work :? I only got one to work out of 5 :_( and retro zone refused to help me with it at all :mad: I wasn't sure if it was my poor skills or retro's stuff or the controllers that I used but I was pretty upset with the hole situation and gave up. I still think I have those things some where.

The old retrousb adapter DOES work with the keypad. I have two that work fine with the standard CV controller. I did have some issues with the Super Action controllers where it was problematic at registering the keypad presses (controller worked perfectly using a test cart on a real CV). I contacted retrousb as I suspected that it just required a tweak in the programming but he was non-responsive. So, I suspect that the adapter should work with the Arcade Controller, but the only way to know will be to try it.

Unfortunately when I tried to get it, all they had was the kit(just the board and usb) you had to solder everything your self :? They said it would be easy :? They said they stopped selling the adapter :thumbsdown: premade by them. I was able to get one controller to work keypad and all but all the rest didn't work at all(killed 5 working controllers :mad: what was funny is the one controller that did work was broken before I put the chip in go figure :roll: ) and there customer service was horrible :mad: . It looks like now they stopped selling anything colecovision. :thumbsdown: The Genesis adapter that they sell now doesn't work the keypad but works everything else.

Edited by RelliK111

Unfortunately when I tried to get it, all they had was the kit(just the board and usb) you had to solder everything your self :? They said it would be easy :? They said they stopped selling the adapter :thumbsdown: premade by them. I was able to get one controller to work keypad and all but all the rest didn't work at all(killed 5 working controllers :mad: what was funny is the one controller that did work was broken before I put the chip in go figure :roll: ) and there customer service was horrible :mad: . It looks like now they stopped selling anything colecovision. :thumbsdown: The Genesis adapter that they sell now doesn't work the keypad but works everything else.

Yep, mine were the kit ones as well. Quite fiddly to solder and insert in a housing. Perhaps I was lucky but mine worked fine (http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/184187-coleco-controllers-for-emulators/page__p__2314215__hl__retrousb__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=2314215)

• Like 1

Yep, mine were the kit ones as well. Quite fiddly to solder and insert in a housing. Perhaps I was lucky but mine worked fine (http://www.atariage...._1#entry2314215)

I didn't get the female piece that you show :_( I had to put mine in the controller itself. maybe thats where I went wrong but I don't know where to get a female plug for the colecovision.

Ok, did tried to use Arcade Controller with Expansion Module 1

I can't plug into the module, the cable is apparently too tick

Similar when you try to plug a Genesis controller into a Vectrex

It's not impossible, you only have to cut the tip of the plug a bit to get it fit

So, I presume that's the same case when you use Arcade Controller with Exp Module 1....... ....

Yep, mine were the kit ones as well. Quite fiddly to solder and insert in a housing. Perhaps I was lucky but mine worked fine (http://www.atariage...._1#entry2314215)

I didn't get the female piece that you show :_( I had to put mine in the controller itself. maybe thats where I went wrong but I don't know where to get a female plug for the colecovision.

I had to buy the parts from digi-key. Retrousb didn't supply them. If you want to know the part numbers I purchased just PM me and I'll let you know.

• Like 2

I couldn't get the controller to USB working either and instead of sending me a F^#king $2 replacement board, they kept saying send it back so we can check it.

They must not understand that if a guy like me has problems it is the f*&king board and not my soldering. I even told them that I wanted a working one so, I could offer a USB controller mod service. I ended up shipping everything back with DC and demanding a full refund. Some people don't give a f&^k about customer service I guess.

• Like 1

I couldn't get the controller to USB working either and instead of sending me a F^#king $2 replacement board, they kept saying send it back so we can check it.

They must not understand that if a guy like me has problems it is the f*&king board and not my soldering. I even told them that I wanted a working one so, I could offer a USB controller mod service. I ended up shipping everything back with DC and demanding a full refund. Some people don't give a f&^k about customer service I guess.

I know they don't care :razz: They never gave me the option to return it for a refund so I just had to eat the cost and chalk up as a lose Oh well leason learned right :roll:

I had to buy the parts from digi-key. Retrousb didn't supply them. If you want to know the part numbers I purchased just PM me and I'll let you know.

PM sent

It's not impossible, you only have to cut the tip of the plug a bit to get it fit

So, I presume that's the same case when you use Arcade Controller with Exp Module 1....... ....

Is the cable provided with the Arcade Controller a DB-9 on both ends and more importantly is the port on the back of the controller a DB-9... I couldn't tell from your video? If it is, you could use one of the joystick extension cables that were available back in the day. This should allow you to plug the Arcade Controller into the Exp. Mod. #1.

The only problem is tracking down one of these old school extension cords. I'll let everyone know once I get my controller unless an answer is provided beforehand.

Is the cable provided with the Arcade Controller a DB-9 on both ends and more importantly is the port on the back of the controller a DB-9... I couldn't tell from your video? If it is, you could use one of the joystick extension cables that were available back in the day. This should allow you to plug the Arcade Controller into the Exp. Mod. #1.

The only problem is tracking down one of these old school extension cords. I'll let everyone know once I get my controller unless an answer is provided beforehand.

The arcade controller comes with an extension cable. Perhaps you could find an extension cable from another supplier that would fit.