IGNORED

Supaboy vs. FC16 Go

I have an FC16 Go. I'm interested in the Supaboy, but I've heard mixed reviews about it. I'm more looking to use it for SD2SNES when it comes out.

Should I get the Supaboy or stick with my FC16 Go?

I need to hear from people who have ACTUALLY used both and not hype.

In my opinion:

FC-16 Go:

• + Has wireless controllers and they are actually really good
  • + Sound seems a bit better
  • + Costs ~$60
  • - Has poor ergonomics
  • - Has worse screen
  • - Has worse controls
  • - No controller ports

SupaBoy:

• + Good Controls (not perfect of course)
  • + Great Screen
  • + Feels much better in hands
  • + Just looks better
  • + Controller ports
  • - No wireless controllers
  • - Sound isn't as good
  • - Costs ~$80

I don't have both or anything, but I note that on my FC-16 Go, the wireless controllers drop out if I'm using my Super Powerpak. They work most of the time, but while 'powerpaking' they'll lose connection for ~10-60 seconds every 15-30 min and just flash their light. It's like the receiver isn't getting enough power. *Excellent* wireless controllers when playing real carts though--I wish they'd make a set with a real plug on them so I can replace my messiah wireless controller. With minor texture/styling upgrades they'd be an easy 10/10.

IMO the d-pad built into the face of my FC-16 GO is worthless. Other people don't have quite as many problems, so maybe the defect rate is just really high (I'm on my second GO, the first unit was a DOA). I have to push extremely hard in certain directions to the point where my unit isn't even useful for non-action games. The abxy buttons work great though, which makes me wonder about a defect.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I don't have both or anything, but I note that on my FC-16 Go, the wireless controllers drop out if I'm using my Super Powerpak. They work most of the time, but while 'powerpaking' they'll lose connection for ~10-60 seconds every 15-30 min and just flash their light. It's like the receiver isn't getting enough power. *Excellent* wireless controllers when playing real carts though--I wish they'd make a set with a real plug on them so I can replace my messiah wireless controller. With minor texture/styling upgrades they'd be an easy 10/10.

IMO the d-pad built into the face of my FC-16 GO is worthless. Other people don't have quite as many problems, so maybe the defect rate is just really high (I'm on my second GO, the first unit was a DOA). I have to push extremely hard in certain directions to the point where my unit isn't even useful for non-action games. The abxy buttons work great though, which makes me wonder about a defect.

I have told Yobo to release them as a separate product. The controllers are done, all they would need is the dongle.

I own both, and I think the answer really depends on what your looking for.

From a compatibility standpoint. Which one plays more games and with the least amount of problems(i.e. boots up on the first try, least amount of kill screens, etc)

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

From a compatibility standpoint. Which one plays more games and with the least amount of problems(i.e. boots up on the first try, least amount of kill screens, etc)

Compataibility wise, they are nearly completely identical. Both will play 99% of all SNES and Super Famicom games, though the FC-16 GO has plastic tabs in its cartridge bay that physically prohibit Super Famicom games from fitting. Even so, you can break these off or melt them with an old soldering iron. Once removed Super Famicom games will fit and play perfectly fine.

The only games that are incompatable with either unit are Super Ghouls n' Ghosts (the third stage boss is completely invisible on ALL SNES clones), Demon's Crest (again, later on there are some invisible enemies) and post 1996 SA-1 games such as Super Mario RPG and Kirby's Dreamland 3. These games will not work on either the FC-16 GO or the Supaboy.

The ONLY games that the Supaboy will play that the FC-16 GO will not are Superscope games since the FC-16 GO lacks SNES 7 pin controller ports for the Super Scope receiver.

Tomorrow, I hope to have a full review of the third portable to hit the scene, the RetroBit RetroDuo Portable up on my youtube channel. I'll be posting a link to it when it's done.

• 5 years later...

I looked everywhere on google and youtube but i don't get the ansure i needed so that's why am gonna asking it here ,now i know the popwerpak will work on the fc16 go,but while it also work on the supaboy(s)????

I ask this because i tryed my powerpak on the supaboy s but anytime i hit start i get an error massage,sometimes i do got to the selection screen or the startup screen but anytime when i want to select or startup a game,i end up again with an error massage.

So i tryed the ultra 2 sandisc cartride but again,didn't work, then i tryed the 256MB sandisc cf card,reformatted that card but again ending up with an error massage but this time saying,,sectors missing,,,

I only found 1 forum saying someone used his powerpak on his superboy with the selected game loaded up but he needed a higher voltage to do that but i am too affraid to fry my system if i will do that.

Also someone else pointed out that you can load games on it but that you cannot save.

Pfff i don't know, i can only speculate but my powerpak just works fine on my rigular snesses.

So the clear question remains,does the powerpak work or not work on the supaboy(s)???

Thanks alot..