IGNORED

Have you ever regretted selling an item from your collection?

SEgamer

I see tons of posts by people who are eager to "get rid of the clutter" and scale back their collections... and it seems like just as many posts by people who regret doing that and want to get their stuff back.

I got rid of everything except my 2600 collection a while back. Every once in a while I regret it. Especially miss my Colecovision and Inty from time to time. Thank god for emulation on the Wii.

I got rid of everything except my 2600 collection a while back. Every once in a while I regret it. Especially miss my Colecovision and Inty from time to time. Thank god for emulation on the Wii.

what where your reasons for getting rid of most of your collection?

Edited by so_tough!

what where your reasons for getting rid of most of your collection?

I was moving out of state and got rid of all sorts of stuff...I also got rid of my MAME cabinet...which was a refurbished Donkey Kong machine. Sick about that too. Now that we've been settled for a couple of years I've been considering building things back up again.

I regret almost every video game related item I sell. Sometimes I get in a bind on car repairs or something and need quick cash so I sell something, but I almost always regret it. I still have a very nice and large collection, but it's always in the back of my head about how great it would be if I still had everything i've ever owned.

I regret almost every video game related item I sell. Sometimes I get in a bind on car repairs or something and need quick cash so I sell something, but I almost always regret it. I still have a very nice and large collection, but it's always in the back of my head about how great it would be if I still had everything i've ever owned.

I hear ya, I use to sell all common games and then I thought about it, is selling 20 games for $15 really worth it? I then decided to keep every single item I don't own. I pretty much only sell stuff I have in my collection. Then again, push comes to shove the collection will be sold to pay for bills and what not.

I sold my collection off before and hopefully I wont have to again. Thats the main reason I started collecting every thing for every system, this way I have lots of suff to sell before I have to sell the stuff I really like. I Have actually builty my huge collection I have now pretty much over the past 3 years.

The recession has definitely been good to those of us who were lucky enough to hold a job and have the ability to grab stuff on the cheap now. Most people just clean out the attic looking for extra cash, but it really sucks for those who have had to sell what they love to pay bills. I know how it feels.

I have the nasty habit (that I'm trying to get out of) of parting with portions of my collection to fund other things, be it other hobbies or other items that fall in my gaming hobby (rarer systems, games I want in a specific moment, etc). I have done this sooo much over the years that, naturally, there are a lot of things I regret parting with. This is especially so now that most of it has risen to values far higher than what I originally paid for them (likewise what I sold them for).

My mom gave away (to her poor friend who had like 10 kids) the following systems/games

My 2600 with about 25 or so games

My 7800 with 2 games (we had a 7800 for a month before my mom bought us an NES)

My NES with about 50+ games

My SNES with about 20+ games

I had the 2600, 7800 and NES all boxed up with all the games and stored in my parents attic while the SNES was still hooked up in my room when I moved out with my girlfriend in 1996

So my mom felt bad as her friend with the 10 kids could not afford to buy any system for her kids, so my mom said hey I have a bunch of systems and games that are not being used they are just up in the attic lets give it all to your kids!

I learned later that she asked my little brother if there was anything he wanted to keep and he said no because he had the N64 hooked up in the living room

So not only did my mom give them all the older systems she had my bro go in my old room and unhook the SNES for her to take to her friends kids

Fast forward to the year 2000, my girlfriend (now wife) had moved up to Seattle and I started to get the craving to play all my old treasured games, I couldnt wait to visit my parents and brothers and dig up in the attic and get down all of my stuff

Well I called my mom and was talking about my plans to hook them all up in Seattle when she dropped a bombshell on me

I was furious, I couldnt believe it, and it made me even more mad when my mom told me how happy the kids were to get all my stuff!

I have bought back everything I owned and everything I wanted to own and then some, but it would have been so awesome to have my original systems

I forgave my mom, it only took me about 10 years to do it

• Like 1

Over the past couple of years I've sold a few different games and systems in my collection, but nothing I regret selling. The money I got from what I sold went towards other games and systems that I wanted. Like just about two months ago, I sold my SMS that I never played and regreted buying to get a 3DO that I really enjoy playing and have wanted for years.

The major regret I have actually was loaning my original nes and games to a someone I knew and trusted, who later pawned it for drug money. I have never felt so betrayed. I got another nes and all the games, but it is not the same without my orginal one. I will never trust anyone with my games again. That is also part of the reason that I don't tend to sell any games except for outdated sports games on the new consoles. I have done that before, always regret it and wind up buying it back for more than I paid before.

The other thing I kick myself for is tossing the boxes for most of my games. I was pretty good about keeping the manuals but the boxes got thrown away at some point, even the nice clamshell ones. Sigh.

My mom gave away (to her poor friend who had like 10 kids) the following systems/games

Not to thread-hijack, but I'm just curious, as it seems that EVERYONE has a story about parents giving your crap away without your consent...

Don't parents realize this is essentially telling kids that stealing is OK, and that respect for someone else's property is unimportant?

"Yeah, mom, you know that china that you keep in the closet that you got for your wedding? I gave it to goodwill. I mean, it's not like you ever use it..."

• Like 2

Back in the day? Who knew things like this would have been worth the money they command today. Or that anyone would still be or even still want to play them?

Not me, and certainly not my folks.

Now, when it comes to anything I've bought now as an adult (figure from Xbox forward) the collector in me treats everything as if it might be worth something, someday. I take care to keep boxes for my kids stuff too, if I think it *might* have some value down the road. My wife on the other hand would prefer I threw everything out.

On the other hand, you can't keep everything, unless you plan on moving to a bigger house every few years, so you have to pick and choose. So I can understand where my folks were coming from when it comes to them tossing my stuff.

I just wish I had my Micronauts back...

I never sell off anything. Not sure why and I know my wife hates it, but that's how I've always been. The only thing of consequence that I did sell off was a nice CIB copy of Intellivision BASIC for the limited release Intellivision computer. I had the opportunity to get a paid trip to one of the Vegas conventions and a Bounty Bob for the 5200 out of it so I sold it. I regret it every now and then since it is such an insanely rare piece, but I figure I'll never have the opportunity to get the computer unit so it's probably for the best. Bounty Bob rocks too!

My mom just didnt think I would ever use it again because I was moved out and away from home, and when she asked my little brother he told her that all he needed was the N64

I had no idea that the system would be collectable today, if that was the case I would have never thrown away all the boxes and woud have handled the instructions and games with care

I mean I remember friend Dustin offering to trade me 30+ 2600 games for Mike Tysons Punch Out, which I declined

I understand why my mom did it, she watched us move on from system to system and as soon as the new one was hooked up the old one was boxed up and put away

So in her mind as long as the family had the latest system all the rest of the stuff was useless

She thought she was doing the right thing, I dont blame her now

It was easier to not blame her after I had bought back every system and game I owned (and the ones my friends owned and I wanted)

But I still just have that nostalgic feeling about how cool it would be to have all my original stuff

I had a rather large NES collection at one time. I would love to have that back. I'm collecting for the system again, and while I have 150 or so games for it now, it sucks to start over on that knowing I have many many more at one time. Live and learn.

Room to store these items was the reason I had to let them go then, now I just find a way to make more room :D .

The hard part is figuring out what is actually rare, and what is just common but really expensive. Neo Geo stuff is pretty easy to find on ebay, but you just have to pay a lot to get it. I think if there's a chance I could find something again if I ever wanted it again, then I shouldn't nfeel bad about selling it now when I need money and space. So most CIB NES, Genesis, SMS, Super Nintendo and Game Boy games I have should be fine. The only thing I have that is quite rare and I should probably hang onto no matter what would be the complete collection of all 12 Sonic games for Game Gear. Those last four were really hard to get complete. Like a once in a year find. - Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Blast, Tails Adventure and Tails Skypatrol (Japanese).

As much as I love Suikoden II I think I'd be ok with letting my copy go. I can always buy another one on ebay in better condition than this one for about the same price if I want to play it via my PS3 again. And if they put it on PSN in the USA like they did in Japan, then I could just buy that. Otherwise I could play a burned copy on my PS1, PC, modded Xbox or modded PSP 1000.

Even most game systems can be easily replaced. The only ones I think I should never let go are the ones that have accounts tied to them, or modded ones. I had a lot of fun trying out pre-NES games but I realize I don't spend much time with those systems. I've got a good amount of Intellivision and Odyssey 2 stuff but don't really care for those systems much. I like Colecovision, Astrocade and Atari brand stuff much more than those.

I have a TurboDuo that still works just fine. I don't know if I should just sell it and buy a Japanese Duo-R (will I get enough to have money leftover after buying the Duo-R?). And I have a complete in box TG-16. I don't care about having the boxes for systems so I figure I should sell all the old systems that have their boxes and re-buy them cheaper without them. I'm to the point wondering why I chose to collect every form of a system. I think I'll keep just the forms I like best. Maybe my boxed Jaguar CD will sell better if I sell my boxed Jaguar with it and buy a separate unboxed Jaguar system later. If I make that move I might keep my few Jaguar games, AV cable and one of the two controllers.