IGNORED

Going to look at a Space Invaders Deluxe

racerx

So, I've never owned an arcade cabinet before, but after 16 years of nagging, I've got the wife coming with me to check out a Deluxe Space Invaders machine this weekend. The guy's asking $275 and from pictures it would appear to be in decent shape. Any helpful hints or "gotchas" that we should be on the lookout for?

I know it's probably a mistake and I'll likely get bored with it after a couple years, but I figure it's like a boat. Everyone has to do it at least once. :P

Edited by racerx

I don't think you will ever get bored with it. I suggest that you swap out the one or two(hopefully two) joysticks out and replace them with a couple HAPP competition joysticks. Add 5 more buttons, get a nice free download of MAME, and voila. You will have infinite enjoyment with your new custom arcade cabinet.

For more hints on building arcade cabs, go see BYOAC.com.

We actually picked it up about noon yesterday...the guy took $240 for it. It works beautifully; I'd guess the monitor was replaced at some point and the motherboard looks pretty clean, too. Everything works like a champ except the coin mechs. Only the right side one works.

The cabinet looks pretty good for a 30+ year old piece. The right side has a zig zig vandal-esque scratch but the rest is pretty clean.

Not real interested in making it a MAME cabinet, I got it to have a vintage piece. I'll end up getting a purpose-built machine if I ever go the 60-in-1 route.

DSC_5947.jpg

DSC_5950.jpg

• Like 4

I suggest that you swap out the one or two(hopefully two) joysticks out and replace them with a couple HAPP competition joysticks. Add 5 more buttons, get a nice free download of MAME, and voila. You will have infinite enjoyment with your new custom arcade cabinet.

SID uses buttons, not a joystick. It is also a black & white monitor with a mirror, so this is not a good cabinet to bastardize and ruin.

• Like 4

I suggest that you swap out the one or two(hopefully two) joysticks out and replace them with a couple HAPP competition joysticks. Add 5 more buttons, get a nice free download of MAME, and voila. You will have infinite enjoyment with your new custom arcade cabinet.

SID uses buttons, not a joystick. It is also a black & white monitor with a mirror, so this is not a good cabinet to bastardize and ruin.

+1

Very true. However it's probably worth noting the original Taito Space Invaders Part 2 (SID being the Midway licensed version) did indeed use a 2-way Taito joystick.

There are a bunch of other differences as well both in the game, but especially the cabinet. The original had a bright red sky background and different blue moonbase. SID was much darker looking. :)

But whatever.. you have an SID and that did indeed use button controls. And by the way that cab looks awesome man.. looks to be in real nice condition. :)

One of my favorite games and cabinet designs. The artwork is fantastic. I like how Bally-Midway used their background in pinballs and utilized mirrors, black lights and displays to create a 3D field of depth. Great, great game. The introduction of SI in Japan actually created Yen shortages. People freaked for it.

I would also suggest getting the Braze multi kit.

This is a photo of my Taito SI. Great Sideart, but falls short in the 'playfield'

IMG_1718.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think you will ever get bored with it. I suggest that you swap out the one or two(hopefully two) joysticks out and replace them with a couple HAPP competition joysticks. Add 5 more buttons, get a nice free download of MAME, and voila. You will have infinite enjoyment with your new custom arcade cabinet.

For more hints on building arcade cabs, go see BYOAC.com.

Get TF outta here! Don't blaspheme a classic cab!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We actually picked it up about noon yesterday...the guy took $240 for it. It works beautifully; I'd guess the monitor was replaced at some point and the motherboard looks pretty clean, too. Everything works like a champ except the coin mechs. Only the right side one works.

The cabinet looks pretty good for a 30+ year old piece. The right side has a zig zig vandal-esque scratch but the rest is pretty clean.

Not real interested in making it a MAME cabinet, I got it to have a vintage piece. I'll end up getting a purpose-built machine if I ever go the 60-in-1 route.

DSC_5947.jpg

DSC_5950.jpg

Great pic!

What are their hi-scores?:)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
I would suggest getting the multi board by Braze Technology. Lots of fun games in it, so you will not get as bored with it. Just a warning: I have spent more on repairs on my SID than I have on my 5 games!

Finally got around to installing my Braze kit. Works like a champ, and the high score save and free play options are nice touches.

DSC_8768.jpg

DSC_8771.jpg

• Like 2

That machine looks great! Congratulations on the score. Do the kids get to keep it in their bedroom?

It's actually in the basement family room. You can see the evolution of the sickness here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/207401-evolution-of-a-collection/

Edited by racerx

• 1 year later...

Finally got around to installing my Braze kit. Works like a champ, and the high score save and free play options are nice touches.

Still happy with the Braze kit? I have a Space Invaders Deluxe machine as well, and I am giving it some thought, but I am a little conflicted about it, since it is currently all original parts ( to my knowledge).

Also, I'm wondering if you've ever had any trouble with your monitor? Mine is normally bright and beautiful, but has started going blank or dim occasionaly.

Still happy with the Braze kit? I have a Space Invaders Deluxe machine as well, and I am giving it some thought, but I am a little conflicted about it, since it is currently all original parts ( to my knowledge).

Every SI needs the Braze kit. It just piggybacks between the 8080 and the pcb, so you keep all the original hardware and it can always be removed.

Hard to diagnose your monitor issue, though if everything's original a cap kit is always a good start. You might want to find Randy Fromm's troubleshooting flowchart for the Motorola or Wells Gardner in your machine. Have you checked all your voltages?

• Like 1

Every SI needs the Braze kit. It just piggybacks between the 8080 and the pcb, so you keep all the original hardware and it can always be removed.

Hard to diagnose your monitor issue, though if everything's original a cap kit is always a good start. You might want to find Randy Fromm's troubleshooting flowchart for the Motorola or Wells Gardner in your machine. Have you checked all your voltages?

Ok. You ang my wife have talked me into doing it. Plus, the opportunity to have Lunar Rescue running in my beautiful Space Invaders Deluxe cabinet is too much to pass up.

Checking the voltage would probably result in my destroying my cabinet and blowing my arm off. I'm too much of a clutz to trust myself with a job like that.

What I think I am going to do is buy the kit, then get a repair guy out here to look at my monitor issue and install the kit for me. I also have a somewhat unresponsive left button on it, and a few other quirks, so I think it is time for a tune-up.

BTW, I watched a video last night on Youtube of someone demoing this kit in a SID cabinet, with a reflection of Zaxxon on the glass. I figure that has to be you.