IGNORED

CDI question

Do you know which one it is specifically? They don't make just a "400" model--it's going to be along the lines of 450, 490, etc. You might be able to tell by looking at the bottom of the unit, or on the box if you have one.

Quite frankly, if it's not reading discs, I'd say it's not worth much at all. If it *does* work, and if it has a Digital Video Card (DVC) in it, then I'd say between $50 and $75 for the system. Although personally I'd lean more on the lower end as these things aren't really in demand *at all*. Ask towards the higher end if you scrounge up some worthwhile games (doesn't look like that will happen though).

*edit: One thing I forgot to ask--does it have any controllers or remotes with it? The gamepad-style controllers sell for a pretty penny, so that will make a difference.

Edited by Austin

I'd figure out what game style controller you have and sell it on eBay or something. Those controllers have been going up in price. I've seen several actually sell for $40+ (some even more depending on which one). Part the rest out as junk/broken/parts, unless you find it works.

Also, lift up the left topper and see if you have a Digital Video Card (DVC) built-in. They can sell for $30 to $40 alone for those that need them.

A way to test it--put in a music CD. At least see if that works. Then you might have a better idea if games have a chance of working on it.

Lift the left piece off the unit. I'm talking about the top of the unit that sits flush with the CD drive. Pull it up. If the DVC is there, you will see it right away (it takes up the whole compartment). You can just pull it out. If not, then you don't have one.

You can try music discs, video discs or a burned disc with a game to try if it will run. For the DVC you have to open the cd drive. In the disc bay you will see to press tabs that you have to press to lift the lit off. If it has a dvc you will see a steel encaged unit. If not you will see a connector.

A know problem with the cd-i players is failure of the timekeeper chip. It has a battery inside the chip. If it's giving a low voltages the cd-i can act very strange. Like not reading discs. You have to fix the timekeeper or wait until it has drained complete, before the cd-i player will run normal.