IGNORED

What were these games? Solve the mystery.

BillyHW

1. I think it was a C64 game (possibly NES, but most likely C64). You would drive a little car in overhead 3/4 perspective. Futuristic setting. I think the track was grey and had a grid pattern on it. The track also had hills and drops so you could jump and get some air. You could play with gravity settings, so that you could simulate driving on the moon or some other planet.

2. I think it was an SNES game (possibly NES, but most likely SNES). You would drive a little car in overhead 3/4 perspective. I think it was a mostly off-road environment (it was not Off-Road, the cars were much bigger and you didn't see the whole track at once). Hills and jumps. I think there was a 2-player split-screen mode.

3. I think it was a Mega-Drive game (possibly PCE-Engine, but most likely Mega-Drive. Not sure if it was ever released here on Genesis.) Never actually played it, only read a review once. Total shameless rip-off of Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past on SNES.

4. I think it was a demo I saw on an Amiga in a computer store once. The demo had an animated skeleton slashing a sword, I think. Very big, beautiful graphics and smooth animation on the skeleton. For some reason I think of Drakkhen, but I've never seen that skeleton again anywhere.

Edited by BillyHW

4. Sword of Sodan? Also a Genesis/MegaDrive title, but not as good as Amiga version.

I dunno about the Amiga version, but the Genesis version is a "back of the box" game. The screenshots with the huge characters look enticing on the back of the box, but then you play it...

Edited by mbd30

4. Sword of Sodan? Also a Genesis/MegaDrive title, but not as good as Amiga version.

I dunno about the Amiga version, but the Genesis version is a "back of the box" game. The screenshots with the huge characters look enticing on the back of the box, but then you play it...

No shit! I fell into that trap; luckily when I bought the game it was second hand.

Unquestionably one of the worst videogames I've ever played in my life.

Crusader of Centy is really not a shameless rip off of ALTTP. It has a similar art style and semi similar mechanics, But it has a whole other depth of game play that ALTTP doesn't have. It's definitely worth checking out.

Is there anything else you can say about mystery game #4? Was the skeleten the main player character or an enemy? What did the background look like? Was it side scrolling?

Edited by Legend

Crusader of Centy is really not a shameless rip off of ALTTP. It has a similar art style and semi similar mechanics, But it has a whole other depth of game play that ALTTP doesn't have. It's definitely worth checking out.

Is there anything else you can say about mystery game #4? Was the skeleten the main player character or an enemy? What did the background look like? Was it side scrolling?

I will try out Crusader of Centy sometime.

As for #4, I'm not sure if it was a game, graphics demo, or maybe just an intermission of a game. The skeleton's upper body took up the whole screen and it was animated, it was striking the viewer with a sword, I think. The background was just a solid color, I think. For some reason for the longest time I thought it was Drakkhen. I know this one is a tough one and we probably won't ever figure it out.

PC-Engine/Turbografx game that is a ripoff of Link to the Past sounds like Neutopia and Neutopia II, also. It was never released for the Genesis as far as I know. But I guess you already decided it's the Centy game. I had never heard of Crusader of Centy so I looked up screenshots and it does look very similar.

#2 could be RPM Racing on Super-NES.

#3 would be Crusader of Centy on MegaDrive.

3 down, 1 to go.

Thanks Pixelboy. Wiki says that RPM Racing even uses the same engine as Racing Destruction Set, which is fascinating.

I remember thinking that RPM looked very much like Racing Destruction Set. The cool thing about them is that you could create you own tracks. Racing Destruction sucked if you were the motorcycle and got stuck between two hills.