IGNORED

AtariProtos.com 5200 Update

Albert

http://www.atariprotos.comMatt Reichert (aka Tempest) has recently added a large batch of thorough prototype reviews to the 5200 section of his website AtariProtos.com. The newly added titles are A.E., Asteroids, Barroom Baseball, Black Belt, Final Legacy, Jr. Pac-Man, Microgammon, Millipede, Miniature Golf, Meebzork, Stargate, Super Pac-Man, Tempest, Track & Field, and Xari Arena. If you'd like to learn all about these prototypes, along with others for the 2600 and 5200, please stop by AtariProtos.com today!

>>You did a great job with these and shed some light on the evils of the Tramiels.

Well I didn't mean to be so harsh on them, but they really did screw over the 2600, 5200, and 7800. However they did help the ST line of computers...

Thanks for the comments.

Tempest

If it wasn't for the Tramiels there would be no Lynx, Jaguar, 7800, ST, TT, PC portfolio, 130XE......  

The Tramiels are the ones who killed off the 7800 in the first place. Just because they half-heartedly brought it back doesn't mean they were responsible for creating it.

And, yes, Allan is right: without Tramiels we never had all the Ataris after 1984

I'm not sure that's true. I think many other people could have bought Atari and done a much better job. The Tramiels are just the ones who got there first (and ran it into the ground). It's impossible to say what direction or future Atari would have had sans-Tramiel.

Tempest

And, yes, Allan is right: without Tramiels we never had all the Ataris after 1984

I'm not sure that's true. I think many other people could have bought Atari and done a much better job. The Tramiels are just the ones who got there first (and ran it into the ground). It's impossible to say what direction or future Atari would have had sans-Tramiel.

Tempest

Yep, it's true, we can't say what could be happened... Atari could also close, who knows? What I mean is, without Tramiels no XE, ST, Jaguar etc. So, I agree :)

I forgot to mention this before but thanks Matt for the pic the the Asteroids controller. I've been waiting to see this for over two years (that's when I first learned of it's existance.)! And great site as well. Does the inclusion of the Tumbleweed title mean you have access to the game and your going to review it soon? Of course your right about the 7800 but if Warner couldn't find a buyer for Atari, they might have just liquidated the company and took it as a loss and then I wouldn't be able to play Klax right now. :)

Allan

Thanks for the compliments

Does the inclusion of the Tumbleweed title mean you have access to the game and your going to review it soon?

Yes and no. Yes I've seen it and know some information about it so I can write a review, but no I don't have access to it. I'm hoping John Hardie will dump it so I can review it properly. Here's to hope...

Tempest

Great work on your Protos site, Matt. I was particularly interested in Steve Baker's port of Miniature Golf, since I never saw pics of it before and I've been tinkering around with a similar idea.

That game would have flopped with its use of the 5200's high rez mode yielding two or three colors, IMHO!

Great work on your Protos site, Matt. I was particularly interested in Steve Baker's port of Miniature Golf, since I never saw pics of it before and I've been tinkering around with a similar idea.  

That game would have flopped with its use of the 5200's high rez mode yielding two or three colors, IMHO

Yeah that was what Atari said. Add more colors! And remember that the screenshots are all wrong due to the way the emulators handle Artifacting (same with Microgammon). I think I have one "corrected" image on the individual prototype page. Even then that one isn't quite right.

Tempest