IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 5 Round 4 Space Dungeon

zylon

Never played this one before.. Cool, but I am having some early troubles reading the rooms while navigating them.. I dont want to fall too far behind , but am not going to put gobs into this round either...

An entry score of 11,420

post-28653-0-32179700-1332955823_thumb.jpg

Edited by peedenmark7

Apparently I'm pretty terrible at this game, but it's still fun. 10,260:

hpim2450v.jpg

My awesome controller coupler (which I'll blame for my low score):

hpim2444i.jpg

I hope I get a chance to put some more time into it, because it's a fun game, I just haven't quite 'gotten it' yet.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I'd encourage those new to the game to stick with it... the game is certainly quite hard at first, but it definetly rewards practice! Another tip I'll add to the ones I gave earlier is that when you stop shooting, it speeds your ship up... helpful for making a quck getaway, dodging shots, or slipping in between two guardians (asterisks.)

Current score: 476,660

post-2092-0-37622800-1333032524_thumb.jpg

Edited by sdamon
  • Like 1

Played a few times in the limited time I had. I still have some of my old skills left but the game gets really hard especially with the horny red guys who spit out bullets when you kill them :lol:

Level 7, 343,800 is the best I can do. If it was 20 years ago I could probably do a little better. :P

post-31-0-82068500-1333081340_thumb.jpg

Played a few times in the limited time I had. I still have some of my old skills left but the game gets really hard especially with the horny red guys who spit out bullets when you kill them :lol:

post-31-0-82068500-1333081340_thumb.jpg

You got that right! Those little red buggers keep spawning and killing me over and over on the higher levels. It helps to avoid shooting them at close range, but when there's four of the dang things bouncing around like mad, it gets really tricky!

no coupler, no cart... no controls = score of : 250

Do you really want me to enter that? ;)

lol, glad I don't need to.., here's a SANE score...

I noodled around with joystick settings to get a better shot,

I cannot shoot well diagonal because there's no stick just keyboard for Keyset A

I have to hit two NUMBER keys to aim diagonal shots.

post-3059-0-57573300-1333299604_thumb.jpg

This round is now over with sdamon taking the win. Well played :thumbsup: . Be sure to play the next round: Keystone Kapers starting soon.

With participation higher than ever in this HSC, I'm now changing the scoring slightly. Only last place will recieve 1 pt. when we have that many players. Instead of starting at 11, the top number will increase with participation. Effective this round and later ones. :)

Final scores:

476,660 sdamon +13

437,050 tank +12

394,435 patbb +11

343,800 NE146 +10

123,390 BydoEmpire +9

91,380 chuckwalla +8

77,195 JacobZu7zu7 +7

72,935 skosh +6

48,485 roadrunner +5

46,620 atariron82 (+4)-late submission

39,130 Sonic R +4

33,605 zylon +3

12,690 trbb +2

11,420 peedenmark7 +1

Edited by zylon

Congrats to sdamon for snagging the most treasure! I thought level 3 was a bit tough, but I can't imagine how insane level 8 must be. Way to go :thumbsup:.

The real challenge to this game(other than wiping out the ubiquitous baddies) seems to be making it to the bonus room with ALL of the treasure. This is a nice 5200 gem, that I haven't played nearly enough. I'll be practicing this one for next time ;).

My internet has been down for a few days, or else I would have posted this score much earlier. Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for an honorable mention this time:

post-21471-0-66333000-1333519349_thumb.jpg

Congrats to sdamon for snagging the most treasure! I thought level 3 was a bit tough, but I can't imagine how insane level 8 must be. Way to go :thumbsup:.

Thanks! It was crazy... I really wanted to beat the record score, but it just wasn't going to happen this time... couldn't even improve on my own score over the weekend.

The real challenge to this game(other than wiping out the ubiquitous baddies) seems to be making it to the bonus room with ALL of the treasure. This is a nice 5200 gem, that I haven't played nearly enough. I'll be practicing this one for next time ;).

I didn't realize this until near the end, but you don't have actually have to collect all the treasures to get the 10,000 bonus... it seems you just need to visit every room. For future reference, below is my adjusted and expanded set of tips...

Visiting every room in the level is worth a 10,000 point bonus when you leave the level. (If you can snag a full or near-full set of treasures plus the bonus, it should result in 2-3 much-needed extra lives!)

Try not to charge right into rooms... you may run into an enemy who's sitting right by the door. (The non-self-centering 5200 sticks don't help with this.)

After visiting all the rooms in level 2 and above, track down the Thief and shoot him to make him give up the treasures he's taken.

Make sure to concentrate fire on enemies who are a direct threat (the ones that are firing at you and/or moving quickly.)

In rooms with laser guns in the corners, take at least one of them out immediately, and then destroy two other ones from a safe angle. The single remaining gun is no threat, but you may want to take it out anyway so that the guns don't respawn if you return to the room. (Thanks to patbb for noting the respawn issue.)

Pass through a room immediately if it contains no treasures.... the real points in this game come from treasure collecting, not fighting.

Leave a room if you're being surrounded. You can come right back and the enemies will be in different positions.

When you stop shooting, it speeds your ship up... helpful for making a quck getaway, dodging shots, or slipping in between two guardians (asterisks.)

The red critters with horns that appear from level 3 on don't fire until you kill them. As such, fire on them from a safe distance so that you can get out of the way of their shots.

My internet has been down for a few days, or else I would have posted this score much earlier. Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for an honorable mention this time:

Man, that sucks that you couldn't get a score in due to an internet problem! Truly sorry to hear it!

When was this game played?

This game was played on Wed evening, a week before my late post.

This game was played on Wed evening, a week before my late post.

I'll give you the 4 points you'd have earned with that score this time as I'd hate to waste a good play. I'm not going to bump the others down a position though.

• Like 2