IGNORED

Black Thin Vertical Lines on LCD. Help?

bwestdpm

Hi. I notice black vertical very thin equally spaced black lines on my screen of my 2600 with composite mod, coleco with composite mod, and FC twin...on 2 different brand of LCD tvs I have. It's playable but really detracts from what I was hoping to achieve with composite.....any ideas to fix or is this just the price of playing these old systems on new tvs....despite the video mod upgrades??? thanks for any help,

I think you answered yourself, LCD tvs are crap for classic consoles, you can improve the picture a bit with a scaler but the good ones are expensive and you still will get worse picture than with a CRT tv, even with the filters. Also I´m sure you still can find a decent CRT at a nice price.

I personally use a 22" Sony Trinitron CRT tv for classic consoles and a LCD for the actual systems.

I don´t know what causes this, maybe it´s because the video output in the classic consoles has much less resolution than the LCD and the tv needs to upscale it.

I was worried about this problem with modern tvs as my old CRT were in its last moments so I bought one Lenkeng scaler (the cheaper, about 50€) and it didin´t do much. Then I decided to look for a second hand 21" CRT that finally cost me less than the scaler.

Sorry if my english is not the best! :)

I think you answered yourself, LCD tvs are crap for classic consoles. I personally use a 22" Sony Trinitron CRT tv for classic consoles and a LCD for the actual systems.

My word. Not only for classical consoles. Xbox, PS2 as well! As for PS3, if the game is really render in the physical resolution of the LCD panel, that perhaps, OK... otherwise... rejected!

As well, CRT's 'shortcomings' in picture clarity were sometimes used to programmers advantage. One good example is The Terminator for Sega Genesis. At the end of Stage 1 when you enter the SkyNet time travel thingy there's a red light over the doorway that you walk thru. When I play the game on my actual Sega Genesis/CRT TV it looks fine, you walk thru and the red light shine on you, when I play it on an emulator (with no picture enhancing filters or anything) it's a series of Vertical red line, and when you walk thru them you have a red stripe/normal stripe/red stripe/normal stripe/etc... and it looks really crappy and no where near as convincing. Same thing on Stage 3 when you run behind the fencing on the rooftop of the Police Station, on a CRT TV it looks like you are behind the fence, on an Emulator (again with no filters) it looks like a mess of pixels

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1