IGNORED

Have you completed Lucasfilm's The Eidelon?

Gunstar

I've really been getting into the Eidelon recently, driven to finally complete it (and Koronis Rift) after 27 years. For the first 20 years I don't think I made it past level 4 or 5, then sometime in the last decade or so I made it to level 7, I didn't remember this until I made it to level 8, realizing it was the first level that was completely new to me (and what a suprise it was!).

So, I think level 8 is the final level, judging by the differences in the cavern and beast I fought. I didn't win, and I'm hoping when I finally do soon, there will be a decent ending for my trouble. The last level, if 8 is, was still exciting to see, finally.

Has anyone finished The Eidelon or Koronis Rift? (my next mission)

My highest score ever!

post-149-0-57667800-1333593494_thumb.jpg

Funny - I just began playing The Eidolon again last week - I made it to level 3 and then something came up and I had to quit (wish you could save your spot!). It's a great game with fantastic animation. I'm going to try to beat it but I remember I never could. Koronis Rift, either. It's just a coinkidink on those two games, very similar to what I went through. I'll see how far i get and post my score. Please post if you get past level 8!

Koronis rift's cross-hairs have always been my problem; they don't move fast enough to zero in on the target (which move much faster), so you have to wait for the target to come into your cross-hairs. After that It's trying to figure out what artifacts are useful in improving my vehicle. But I am going to keep trying.

I finished the Eidolon when it came out - I seem to remember the last battle finished off my spacebar on my 800XL though :( I could describe/spoil the final cut scene for anyone who's interested, but it's one of the few games of the time that actually has an ending worth playing through to. Never finished Koronis Rift as it always seemed to crash when I got near the end.

Cheers,

Simon

Just played Koronis Rift and Eidolon for the first time last week. Never had these games when I was younger. Not a huge Eidolon fan so far but Koronis Rift is a damn cool game.

So far I have yet to make it beyond Rift 3. My only complaint is the targeting....you can't really move the cursor while firing making following a target really tough.

Was amazed when I saw the Atari graphics compared to the other versions. Even the C64 version looks like ass compared to the Atari version. They put some love into this title. Definitely one of my new favorites. I love the work they put into the robot and nice looking well-shaded module area. The landscape shading is a nice touch too. From a distance I'd mistake this for an ST or Amiga game. I don't even know if the ST could display as many on-screen colors as this game seems to use.

Don't know if I'd call it "THE" game for the A8 but definitely in my top 5 now and certainly made good use of the hardware.

Does a single-file XEX version of Koronis Rift exist? I'd like to stick it on my MyIDE so I can load it with SIDE Loader. I have plenty of RAM (576K). I found an XEX version but it's 2 files instead of 1. Any easy way to combine them?

• Like 1

I have no idea why Koronis rift would be split into two xex files. I don't know how that would work. You can have more than one ATR file, for multiple disks/sides, but multiple XEX or EXE/COM files?!?

Anyway, I've found executable files for all but Koronis Rift also. I'd like to see the executables you have of it, where did you get it? The Eidelon XEX that I have is 128K version of the XE cartridge, not the disk version.

You can really tell when games are made FOR the Atari, then ported to other systems becuase the ports look like ass...sort of like when Atari get's ports of C64 games, eh? For once the tables are turned when it comes to Lucasfilm games. All it takes is a little care and love for the system. If I were the head of a software publishing company, I'd make sure that the people working on games/programs for a certain system are fans of that system, otherwise they get the boot or tranfered to the system they love. Then every computer/system would be the best it can possibly be...

Edited by Gunstar

I have no idea why Koronis rift would be split into two xex files. I don't know how that would work. You can have more than one ATR file, for multiple disks/sides, but multiple XEX or EXE/COM files?!?

It's split in 3 segments.....Koronis.XEX, Koronis.000 and Koronis.001. SIDE Loader loads the XEX fine but I guess it can't find the other segments to finish loading.

I have a version of Karateka split up like this as well. I found a single-file version later.

It would be nice if I could just append .000 and .001 to the XEX but there's probably code at the end of each segment to fire off loading the next from disk and I'm really not an expert when it comes to how something like this works.

Anyway, I've found executable files for all but Koronis Rift also. I'd like to see the executables you have of it, where did you get it? The Eidelon XEX that I have is 128K version of the XE cartridge, not the disk version.

I pulled them from a Homesoft ATR image I think. I can send them to you if you want. They can probably be loaded from MyPicoDos. My MyIDE is flashed with SDX and I don't have Sijmen's custom OS on an EPROM yet (need a burner) so booting other DOS's is out except via SIO2PC until I either A.) Install Sijmen's OS or B.) grab an SIO2SD.

You can really tell when games are made FOR the Atari, then ported to other systems becuase the ports look like ass...sort of like when Atari get's ports of C64 games, eh? For once the tables are turned when it comes to Lucasfilm games.

Yep, no doubt! For a good chuckle go check out the NES port of BallBlazer..... pretty sure the NES coulda done better but it's still funny and a perfect example of what you described.

The C64 version of Koronis was not near as funny as the Apple II or Amstrad versions. Glad my parents actually liked me and didn't buy me an Apple II as a kid. The 130XE was like a Ferrari compared to that turd. Hated'em in school.

--Kevin

I know of the NES version, I laughed for a long time when I saw that p.o.s.

I begged my parents for an Apple IIc for about a year, attempting to convince them it would help me with school, but they weren't convinced. I finally saved up money from a paper route and bought a 130XE in late summer of '85. I knew I'd never last long enough to save up for my own Apple, but $200 for a 128K XE I could do...I chose it over the C64 and 800XL for the extra ram. I've never looked back and am grateful my parents didn't buy me an Apple and I ended up with Atari, never regretted it once.

Of course, if I knew then what I know now, I would have gotten either a 1200XL or 800XL on clearance and just upgraded to 256K.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

BTW, for those interested on Koronis Rift, I wrote an extensive guide about it: http://atariteca.blo...ronis-rift.html

And here you have a video regarding the first levels...don´t miss the easter egg!

http://youtu.be/ZczYJ5q6qF4

I'd love to use your guide for Koronis Rift, but I need it in English and when I choose the translator, it takes me away from your page (and doesn't translate anyway) Do you have it in another form like a document or PDF or something?

There is one thing about the Eidelon and Koronis Rift that disappointed me; With Lucasfilms first games BallBlazer and Rescue on Fractalus (original disk versions) there were cool animations to watch while the game was loading. These were absent from the later two titles and I was expecting something cool, it was a bit of a disappointment. The games themselves made up for it, but this is a film company! A special effects company! And they did it before! Where are the intro's Lucasfilm?

I made it until the last dragon: http://youtu.be/KXEwQCS4yow

Here you can take at look the level maps; besides, there are some hints regarding the enemies and jewels needed to defeat each dragon: http://atariteca.blo...de-eidolon.html

- Y -

Is this movie from the C64 version or what? What's with the black energy balls?! It seems slower than the Atari version too...is this stuff becuase it's running on an emulator?

Edited by Gunstar

Hi Gunstar,

The video corresponds to the Atari 8-bit version. Yep, I recorded it using Atari8000Win PLus. That´s why you see those *black energy balls* floating around.

Speaking about Koronis Rift, here´s the link to my original article (spanish): http://atariteca.blogspot.com/2011/03/koronis-rift.html

And using Google Translate to turn it into english: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=es&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fatariteca.blogspot.com%2F2011%2F03%2Fkoronis-rift.html

If that´s not enough... you can always review Atarimania´s scans: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-koronis-rift_2836.html

- Y -

I made it until the last dragon: http://youtu.be/KXEwQCS4yow

Here you can take at look the level maps; besides, there are some hints regarding the enemies and jewels needed to defeat each dragon: http://atariteca.blo...de-eidolon.html

- Y -

Is this movie from the C64 version or what? What's with the black energy balls?! It seems slower than the Atari version too...is this stuff becuase it's running on an emulator?

That's the crap with the unoptimized programming of those games. They run in full vertical sync, causing the game to be slower than needed. In NTSC it seems ok-ish , in PAL , the games get slower. Even due to more CPU cycles per frame, the computer does less.

I wonder why this always happened. On the C64 you don't have this. Games always run "almost at the same speed" , alike if 50 or 60Hz. The only obvious "trick" is that they draw parts "in the other frame" , where CPU time is missing to build a full frame.

Are you serious?!? The Lucasfilm programmers where gods of the Atari, and I'd like to see you do something half as good. It had to be optimized to get any decent frame rates at all on a 1.79Mhz machine! And the C64 version is even SLOWER. The reason it doesn't work as fast on PAL machines is indeed the reason you stated, but the game were made for NTSC machines, they would have optimized it for PAL had they known it mattered. At the time of development, the UK and Europe was still a very small market that wasn't even taken into account. It was just emerging as a growing market when the Lucasfilm games were released in the U.S. and not released until at least a year later in PAL-land. If the games had been made a couple years later, you would have gotten your PAL support. It's got nothing to do with lack of optimization, just it's optimized for NTSC.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

If the Atari version had been optimized like the C64 version, it would run almost double as fast on PAL machines. Have a peek at the release of Amaurote+ to get a clue ;)

Even the NTSC version could run 30-50% faster.

Those "gods of Atari" were overpayed for the stuff they created. Million $ for some (in the early 80s) - placing of a software - that has been cut down from "Supercomputer" of that time.

They didn't do any optimisations with the game speed there. The only effort was the loader.

Has anyone finished The Eidelon or Koronis Rift? (my next mission)

My highest score ever!

The Eidolon - yes, several times. Once you understand the color coding of the dragons and which beasts to avoid, it is actually not too hard.Koronis Rift - I never had the patience. As soon as the sourcers come, the game gets pretty fast pretty boring. Drive around for 20 seconds, go to the mothership, drive around for 20 seconds, loot hulk, go to the mother ship, sell stuff, drive around for 20 seconds... BORING!The graphics is nice, but as far as the gameplay and the balancing goes, it is the weakest Lucasfilms game.