IGNORED

Arcade Track Ball... lag?

Ben Klammer

Me and my dad made a MAME cabinet. Right now, it has two Joysticks, with three buttons each. We made it so you could lift off the controlls and put in other setups. Our second one shall be a trackball.

We got a Happ 3" Trackball through Kijiji, in nice enough condition. It came with the arcade sensor things, but we couldn't use 'em. Instead, we got the sensors off an old computer ball mouse.

It works, but iff you spinn the ball fast enough (not actually THAT fast), it dosen't pick up. As it slows down, it then starts to pick up the movement. What's up with that? I noticed this happens less with Left/Right, which might be because the light is much ferther back from the sensor wheel there. But it still exsists. Happ makes sensors for the ball that plug in with USB and act like a mouse, however, the only vendor of arcade parts near us only sells the entire track ball. It has both the normal and USB varients, but dosen't sell just the sensors, as far as I know. And while we got the Trackball for $25, that store has the arcade one for $78, and the USB one (BTW it's the same ball but with different electronics) for $166. Quite a bit.

Dose anyone know what might be causing this numbness to speed, and how to fix it? Thanks!

I would guess that maybe the mouse sensors are being spun too fast by the 3" ball. Quadrature type encoders like that can be read by detecting state changes. If the state changes happen faster than the hardware can read/detect them, it could just act like no motion occurred: at least that's what I did on a project where I revived an old, dead trackball by reading the sensors with a microcontroller.

It sounds like your dad might know a thing or two about electronics to have attempted something like this. I, too, would probably have tried wiring the arcade sensors directly to the mouse. Any ideas why that didn't work? Did you have the pinouts for everything to know how to wire them in? If so, throw all of the information you have up here and maybe somebody can get you going.

Edited by BigO

increase mouse polling rate to 500MHz (google for a tutorial)

I didn't know you could do that. My first guess at the source of the problem would very likely be addressed by this. One of the other suggested mouse settings might be worth trying, too, but he didn't seem to indicate that the control was too sensitive or moving too fast when it was working.