IGNORED

Pictures of my 1981 TI99/4A

TEXAS_JOE

post-30542-0-65210200-1334245772_thumb.png

post-30542-0-89245800-1334245809_thumb.png

The TI next to a modern Samsung laptop. Well I know which I prefer (and it ain't the Samsung!) :D

post-30542-0-97636400-1334245916_thumb.png

This machine is a 1981 model, it is in very good condition for it's year, there isn't a scratch on it (tiny little dent to the left side of the aluminium that's all) .... It is however, a US spec machine and I'm in the UK. So my plan is to get hold of a TI that is UK spec and if it's tatty I will replace the shell with mine. This isn't going to happen anytime soon, my girlfriend already feels like a "TI99 Widow" .... ;)

Thanks for sharing these pictures! The original black and silver 99/4A is a gorgeous machine, and the best cosmetic match for the PEB. My grandfather had one, while I had one of the beige units. I like them both but prefer the originals, but unfortunately, they don't seem to hold up quite as well: the aluminum tends to become dented or scratched very easily, judging from the conditions of most of the used units on eBay.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand why you need an EU console. Just get an F18A. :-) I have tested the F18A in two PAL systems (a 99/4A and MSX1) and it works great. I suppose there is the issue of the input voltage, but you can get a small transformer for that if you don't have an EU power brick. Or, just get the power board from an EU 99/4A.

• Like 1

You're giving me good ideas here Matthew.

The F-18A is a consideration. However I am unfortunate enough to have a girlfriend / soon to be wife that likes to think she's in charge of money.

That is exactly why I don't have a PEB , cassette deck, Disc system and XB yet. If I lived independantly I would have by now :)

I tried a voltage converter in it some months ago. Now, either the converter blew or the TI did. I have'nt had the bottle to try it again and have lost the converter.

I don't want bad news! It could be the converter I hope so anyhow. I shall try again with a friend's transformer.

Well, it is too bad you are way over there, I have piles of parts coming out of my ears. I hope to get squared away and liquidated this year.

The power-board's output to the system is consistent, i.e. +5V, -5V, and +12V. The input to a power-board will depend on the the US vs. EU versions, i.e. 120VAC vs 220VAC. So, if you blew your US 120VAC power-board, you should be able to just take the power-board from an EU console and drop it in. This is what I did with the PAL motherboard I have, only in reverse, I used a US power-board with the PAL motherboard and F18A. Worked fine.

I have seen some AC adapters that are US-spec only (120VAC 60Hz) not work so well with a transformer due to the 50Hz vs. 60Hz. If the power brick is not rated for 50/60Hz, and is 60Hz only, then it might overheat even when you use a transformer to come down to 120VAC. Sometimes you can try coming down to 100-110VAC 50Hz instead of 120VAC, but that depends on your transformer. It is probably just easier to get an EU power-board though.

As for the future wife, I make it a rule to never express my opinions in that area and let everyone sort out their own personal lives. So, good luck with that. :-)

Edited by matthew180
  • Like 1

Hey Joe (where you going with that gun in your hand!)....

Anyway.... where are you located? In the UK right? I have a CF7A+ (the one with the rs232) somewhere here that I have never even powered up.

Send me a private message with your address and i'll send it to you when I'm back in the UK. It's yours.

Mark

• Like 1