IGNORED

Gorf seems almost unplayable

angusjake

While I find the control to be odd with the fully analog setup, I still think it's an easy game to control. Hell, since you can jump from place to place so fast, I think it's far easier than the arcade version.

But that's just me. After getting my 5200 and playing lots of games, I've really not come to despise the control like so many. In fact, I kind of like it for most games and love it for others (Centipede, Star Wars Arcade, etc.)

The problem with Gorf is it was probably ported directly from the 400/800 version and the programmer didn't know how to properly handle the 5200's analog stick. Someone should really make a patch for this game or something...

Of course without the voice and the Galaxian stage, Gorf is really isn't all that interesting...

Tempest

I was wary of picking up a 5200 because of all the talk about four-way games being unplayable because of the joysticks, but I just don't see it after playing the system for awhile. I admit that Pacman, Ms. Pacman and Jr. Pacman would definately be better with digital control, yet I rarely have a problem with the standard sticks.

It's not the control that is odd for me - it's the feel of the controllers compared to how a "normal" joystick feels. That aside, I normally score higher on the 5200 version of Ms. Pacman than I do on the 7800.

In fact, I think if Atari had actually released analog self-centering controllers with the 5200, analog control would probably have become the norm far earlier on other systems......

GORF is one of the few games that actually benefit from a home made 5200 paddle controller. Yes, you lose the up down ability, but your left right movement is much more accurate. I also use my 5200 paddle for Kaboom, Super Breakout and Pole Position. For Pole Position, I have a push button on the top that allows you to switch between lo and hi gear. I think there are a few more games that work OK with the paddle but I don't remember which ones.

I was wary of picking up a 5200 because of all the talk about four-way games being unplayable because of the joysticks, but I just don't see it after playing the system for awhile.

Agreed - I actually like the sticks (except durability) but I've noticed the 5200 sticks seem to be very well suited to certain games and very poorly suited to others.