IGNORED

Space Rocks (2600)

SpiceWare

The only thing I don't like is the green and purple lines at the bottom of the screen, but that's nitpicking.

If you read thru this topic in the 2600 programming forum, you'll see why the lines are there. To make it a short story - the color of the digits cannot be changed so the lines were added to differentiate the players' scores.

I only point this out because you're not the only person to "complain" about the colored lines. One of the things about VCS programming is the tradeoffs between what you want the hardware to do and what you can make the hardware do. I could have colored them by using flicker, but I really liked the routine Omegamatrix came up with that can display 14 digits without any flicker.

If you read thru this topic in the 2600 programming forum, you'll see why the lines are there. To make it a short story - the color of the digits cannot be changed so the lines were added to differentiate the players' scores.

I only point this out because you're not the only person to "complain" about the colored lines. One of the things about VCS programming is the tradeoffs between what you want the hardware to do and what you can make the hardware do. I could have colored them by using flicker, but I really liked the routine Omegamatrix came up with that can display 14 digits without any flicker.

It's a minor complaint. I tried changing the color as per Nathan's suggestion and I really like it as it reminds me of the arcade version. The earlier version of this game was so good I didn't think it could get any better but I was wrong. This is an excellent game; it's one of my favorites. :thumbsup:

If the volume/effects do not sound right under Stella for you - here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Don't use a very old version of Stella. Darrell excellent job with this game, but the video you posted is comparing a real system to Stella 2.5.1 from April 2008. The current version is 3.7.2 - a lot has changed with Stella since then and Stella sounds just as good as the real system (When configured properly - more below).

2. Stella's default volume setting is very high, which can possibly create distortion with some sound cards/speakers. I set my volume level in Stella to 20 (Out of 100).

3. Stella default sound settings includes using an exact frequency pitch of 31400 for both Output Freq and TIA Freq. Again, some sound cards/chips can't handle that properly. Try setting 44100 or 48000 instead.

4. Clip Volume checked if you here "popping" when sound is played.

In summary try the following.

1. Set Stella's volume to 20 - try between 15-25 as a range if you notice distortion.

2. Check on Clip Volume (If you here any popping in sound playback).

After those two are tried, if something sounds off try setting the frequency levels (Try Output Freq first) to a more "standardize" 44100 or 48000.

Sorry Darrell, not trying to hijack this thread and will post nothing further respecting Stella unless requested. Just trying to help people out who are using (A recent version of) Stella and experience sound issues. Really Stella with the recent added Blargg effects, looks as well as sounds just as good (If not better - Especially trying to play a real system on a modern TV) than an actual 2600.

Game is awesome by the way. It looks, sounds, and plays fantastic.

• revised sound effects
  • Magna Mine revisions (graphics, code changes)
  • easter egg revisions

This is the build I'm planning to give Al tomorrow night(23rd) for the demo at PRGE, so let me know if you spot any show stoppers.

ROMs - Harmony or Stella1

spacerocks20120922_NTSC.bin

spacerocks20120922_PAL.bin

1 Requires Stella ver 3.7.1 or later. See first post for instructions on how to reduce flicker.

The last version that sounded right on Stella (with default audio settings) was 20120908.

If I leave everything default, except turn up both freqs to 48000, then it sounds better. And is acceptable by me.

That was the last version with my very simple placeholder sound effects. I didn't do any rapid changes to the tone(the value written to AUDCx) like Bob did. Rapidly changing the tone results in really cool sound effects, but Stella appears to have a weakness there.

I like Space Rocks very much. The implementation is outstanding. but I have two little graphics suggestions. I think, the lines around the scores disturb the impression a little bit. And I like the little cockpits of the enemy ships (spacerocks20120914) so I draw a cockpit in the player's ship too. What do you think about my suggestions?

post-4682-0-35736300-1348448606_thumb.jpg

I like Space Rocks very much. The implementation is outstanding. but I have two little graphics suggestions.

Thanks!

As mentioned in reply 151, I cannot change the colors of the digits - that's why I added the colored lines. The technical discussion about the score routine can be found in this topic.

The cockpit in the ship is neat, but the ship graphic are also used to draw the Magna Mines and the cockpit wouldn't be appropriate there.

Hey Darrell. My son and I played this for quite a while. Don't change a thing. The sounds are spot on and no bugs that we could create. Unless there is something major that comes up this is the version I'm going to use.

I got a cab cut out and stained. Got a computer. Need some controls yet. I can't wait to put this thing together. Hopefully the software doesn't slow me down too much. When I get it somewhat assembled I will have to post some pics for criticism.

Since you are letting this go at PRGE does that mean there will be carts soon?

Hey Darrell. My son and I played this for quite a while. Don't change a thing. The sounds are spot on and no bugs that we could create. Unless there is something major that comes up this is the version I'm going to use.

Thanks!

We've found a couple things, like a split Magna Mine:

post-3056-0-14926000-1348452223_thumb.png

and just half a Magna Mine. I don't have a screen grab of this bug, but it looks like this mock up:

post-3056-0-95581500-1348452320_thumb.png

Since you are letting this go at PRGE does that mean there will be carts soon?

I'm sure carts will be available by the end of the year. I'm working on optimizations to hopefully free up enough space for two more things. Gamepad support:

control-menu.gif

and double Magna Mines (this is a rough draft):

killer-satellite-rev-2-double.gif

When using a gamepad the DOWN feature would be trigged by the 2nd firebutton on the gamepad. Compatible ones include Genesis and Amiga CD32 gamepads.

When shot, the large Magna Mine should break into 3, instead of the 6 it currently does. Each of those 3 would then split in half when shot.

That was the last version with my very simple placeholder sound effects. I didn't do any rapid changes to the tone(the value written to AUDCx) like Bob did. Rapidly changing the tone results in really cool sound effects, but Stella appears to have a weakness there.

I also think it's because of rapid changes that Stella isn't 'sampling' fast enough (if that's even a word). I'd really like to look into fixing this for the 3.9 release, if I can get more sound-related people on board.

As mentioned in reply 151, I cannot change the colors of the digits - that's why I added the colored lines. The technical discussion about the score routine can be found in this topic.

The cockpit in the ship is neat, but the ship graphic are also used to draw the Magna Mines and the cockpit wouldn't be appropriate there.

Sorry, I wish I read all postings before I wrote my own. ;) Here is another suggestion for the scores but I don't know if this would be possible to do.

post-4682-0-28192900-1348493657_thumb.jpg

but I like the way it turned out and that fact of the matter is I'm the one I'm writing the game for :)

I'm sorry, I didn't want to criticize the design of the game. |:) Sometimes I have little ideas how to make graphics looks a little bit better for ME although the existing design is very good as well. Feel free to ignore my suggestions, I would't be angry with you. ;) The game ist awesome anyway!!! :) :thumbsup:

Edited by Retrofan

I'm loving the game as is and can't wait to see your other (potential) additions. :)

The only thing I would ask, I presume your aware of this already, is to have the current hi-score on the title screen if you can't manage to make a separate hi-score screen. Also, I know this is probably asking a bit much but would it be possible to save the hi-scores? :)

I'm sorry, I didn't want to criticize the design of the game. |:) Sometimes I have little ideas how to make graphics looks a little bit better for ME although the existing design is very good as well. Feel free to ignore my suggestions, I would't be angry with you. ;) The game ist awesome anyway!!! :) :thumbsup:

Not a problem, some suggestions have made it into the game. It's just in the case of the lines there's been a number of people trying to get me to change it and I'm not going to. :)

The only thing I would ask, I presume your aware of this already, is to have the current hi-score on the title screen if you can't manage to make a separate hi-score screen. Also, I know this is probably asking a bit much but would it be possible to save the hi-scores? :)

I doubt that will happen. The score isn't displayed using traditional techniques so there aren't any digit graphics in memory. That means I'd need space for graphics for 10 digits that I don't have.

I have an idea on how to show it during the demo mode though, I'll look into that when I finish the PRGE build.

Edited by SpiceWare