IGNORED

Screen Scratches & Pollishing

GadgetUK

Just a post that might help people with scratches on their Lynx screen. Today ive cleaned all 5 of my Lynx 2 screens using Meguiars Plastx - it's a plastic pollish designed for cars (I used it for the soft top clear plastic window on my car), as its a very very light abrasive it leaves no swirl marks but does actually work - and well. Ive successfully removed about 10 scratches which previously wouldnt come off with any other cleaning product and they almost look new now. If you do this yourself, just use a tissue and a really tiny amount and keep going in circles all over until the pollish pretty much is transparent, at that point wipe it dry and you will probably see many if not all of the scratches either gone or much less noticeable.

My main two Lynx 2's now look perfect!

I did wonder about using my dremel with the polishing head but I really didnt fancy those high RPM's causing major swirl marks on the screen lol. One day when I get bored I will take the worst screen and have a go at pollishing using the dremel to see just how good you can get the screen - assuming a dremel doesnt mess it up totally.

Yes, it would probably work on game gear as well, its best to test on a really small area using hardly any pressure at first, just to make sure it doesnt harm the game gear screen.

Afterwards if its ok, apply more pressure working in small circles but use a polishing cloth or tissue.

Edited by GadgetUK

• 4 weeks later...

I spent $25 on a bottle of this stuff to try and get the scratches out of my Lynx II screen, but unfortunately it just made the scratch show up a lot more when the screen was turned on, like it sparkles and refracts the pixel light behind it or something. It did help remove the mild fogging that was around the plastic though, but it just made the scratches worse which is disappointing.

I did a radical thing for my Lynx II. I cut neatly away the plastic cover altogether. Of course this makes dust go into the Lynx and so. But in any case the image is much better now.

PS. Nice supergirl outfit Moya.

• Like 1

I spent $25 on a bottle of this stuff to try and get the scratches out of my Lynx II screen, but unfortunately it just made the scratch show up a lot more when the screen was turned on, like it sparkles and refracts the pixel light behind it or something. It did help remove the mild fogging that was around the plastic though, but it just made the scratches worse which is disappointing.

I found if you polish a few times and put a fair bit of pressure you can get pretty deep scratches out.