IGNORED

Am I an "emulator sellout?"

monzamess

This is supposedly on the way: http://polymega.com

I'd just as soon use a computer for emulation, though -- especially if interested in spinning discs.

Fair enough, I have a Mac Mini that I use for emulation at the moment with an optical drive (unfortunately broken) but it struggles with anything from PS2 onwards. Plus you wouldn't be able to emulator the newer stuff, and I am just thinking of how to lessen the amount of devices sitting around my TV

Fair enough, I have a Mac Mini that I use for emulation at the moment with an optical drive (unfortunately broken) but it struggles with anything from PS2 onwards. Plus you wouldn't be able to emulator the newer stuff, and I am just thinking of how to lessen the amount of devices sitting around my TV

When the heck is a new Mac Mini coming, anyway? It's been almost 3 years since the last update, and they're getting more and more annoyingly locked down. https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini

I don't share your concern over lack of optical drive, though -- rips are easy to make or find, they load faster and they're easy to store.

When the heck is a new Mac Mini coming, anyway? It's been almost 3 years since the last update, and they're getting more and more annoyingly locked down. https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini

I don't share your concern over lack of optical drive, though -- rips are easy to make or find, they load faster and they're easy to store.

Oh of course, I just need to be bothered to create the rips! My mac mini is 2010 but its one of the less locked down ones so easier to use for emulation etc, but the hardware is pants when compared to the modern day.

Counterpoint: Retron 77 only does one thing, and you have to use wired controllers.

Ok, so what's the problem with that? I have yet to use a wireless controller for the Atari that I liked, including the old flashbacks. If I end up getting the Activision Gold Flashback, hopefully those will be better. Other than that, I just want a new replacement system that plays on the new TV's.

Ok, so what's the problem with that? I have yet to use a wireless controller for the Atari that I liked, including the old flashbacks. If I end up getting the Activision Gold Flashback, hopefully those will be better. Other than that, I just want a new replacement system that plays on the new TV's.

No problem for you, obviously! Plus they have the benefit of not requiring batteries. I'd love to be able to kick back a comfortable distance from the big screen, personally. I'm not going to be sitting on the floor with a controller like I did when these games were hot and new.

• Like 1

No problem for you, obviously! Plus they have the benefit of not requiring batteries. I'd love to be able to kick back a comfortable distance from the big screen, personally. I'm not going to be sitting on the floor with a controller like I did when these games were hot and new.

I hear ya there. I find myself pulling up a chair from the kitchen just to play and after a while that isn't very comfortable. Maybe getting one of these might help! :grin:

daddy_cool_2017.jpg

I started out with emulation running under Windows XP, back in the day when it was difficult to find roms on cryptic FTP sites. Then, excited by my love for retro systems, I started buying the systems that I had (or wanted) when I was younger: Atari 600XL, Apple II, Game Boy Advance, Turbo Grafx 16, Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo.

I bought 4 Everdrives and an SIO2USB to play all the roms. Since it was my favorite console, I started scouring the internet for game boy cartridges to play on the GBA. I was obsessed with my collection, thought about it all the time, but rarely had any time to play it.

I spend 50% of my day on my computer. Running a classic game on an emulator was only a mouse click away, and it satisfied my craving for nostalgia. Now I have switched to linux, I installed some really nice emulators: Mednafen to play TG-16, SNES, and Game Boy and Fusion to play Genesis.

I realized that I had an awful lot of money (for me) tied up in physical hardware. My small condo was riddled with systems on display, hooked up to a CRT or LCD monitor. I decided that I needed to “share” my systems with others by selling some of them off. To make room and to save my sanity, I listed the Atari 600XL and the Apple II on craigslist, priced to sell.

Tired of playing game boy games on the small screen of the GBA, I was in the market for either a Super Game Boy cartridge or a Game Boy Player and GameCube. But I already had full screen game boy emulation on my PC.

Then I did the unthinkable: I sold my prized collection: 2 GBA’s, 18 game boy carts, 12 GBA carts, and an Everdrive GB, for a steal. I am toying with the idea of selling the remaining three systems TG-16, Genesis, and SNES with Everdrives for $100 each.

In a perfect world, I would have the space to store all these systems and more, the money to buy physical cartridges and display them on my walls, and the sanity to organize and appreciate them. I envy the retro game collectors on YouTube, for the history that they are saving is truly valuable.

I am toying with the idea of selling the remaining three systems TG-16, Genesis, and SNES with Everdrives for $100 each.

I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT

I sold out on NGPC -- got the flash kit, kind of emulating a real cart there I guess right? :P

$90 vs $100+for Rockman, $100+ for CottonUS, $150+/ea for EU-Faselei and EU-Evolution -- just seemed like a financially wise decision.

Back in the day, used to run PocketNES, Goomba Color, and PCE Advance on my GBA to run a heap of stuff including a select few PCE CD ISOs.

No, you're not a sellout.

Trust me, shortly, emulation will be the only way we can experience all these games.

This is why it is absolutely of paramount concern that efforts in improving simulation of behavior and logic level elements continue to be pursued. It's an asymptotic curve, we'll never get 100%, but we will get damned close (i'd say 99.99999%), especially with the extreme care and development time being taken to vastly improve shader emulations of CRT displays, and the massive amounts of time being taken to optimize netlist compilation and runtime to accurately simulate discrete digital circuits.

-Thom

• Like 2

I'd like to see stuff people like to flash online as something they only have, but then don't bother to release let alone back up the stuff, just get over it and for preservation sake do it. That is as much a concern if any because rarities with one maybe a few copies at best, when they croak from age or disaster, outside of sketchy garbage magazine scans or selfishly made videos or screen captures, they'll be dead and gone forever.

I fear that happened to Wing Commander 2 for the SNES as it was completed, then vanished over 20 years ago. I would not be surprised if this also ended up being the case with the Magician Lord 2 beta for NGPC trolled within the last year.

• Like 1

In a perfect world, I would have the space to store all these systems and more, the money to buy physical cartridges and display them on my walls, and the sanity to organize and appreciate them. I envy the retro game collectors on YouTube, for the history that they are saving is truly valuable.

I feel sorry for them youtubers. They have not yet evolved to the next level that is emulation. Woot!

---

Emulation was undergoing rapid development in the heydays of the 1990's. And it is still true today. Progress may appeared to have slowed, but major refinements are going on under the hood. And user interfaces are being peppered with random improvements here and there. So it all adds up.

In fact the pace of improving and refining is exceeding many mainstream applications and programs, for PC and smartphones alike. Commercial and big name products tend to get new flashy interfaces that cause nothing but annoyance at having to relearn and relearn again stuff you already know how to do. Commercial apps are DRM laden and demand to have an online connection to either become "complete" or even allow basic usage.

Whereas with emulation software the improvements are useful and practical. They improve the user experience.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1