IGNORED

SNES Dragon Quest Dilema

I had Dragon Warrior for the NES when I was a kid and loved it. I was considering picking up Dragon Quest 1&2 for the Super Famicom. I have some Super Famicom carts, mostly action/adventure, but I'm worried about the language barrier of trying to play an RPG in japanese. I could always just buy the actual NES cart but liked the graphic upgrade of the Super Famicom version. Thoughts?

Best bet is probably either a repro (I've only ever seen repros of DQV, truth be told) or a Super Everdrive and a patched ROM of the game. Or just... a patched ROM of the game.

On the other hand, I highly recommend looking into the Game Boy Color release of Dragon Warrior I & II. The game isn't dumbed down, but the graphics and interface are improved from the NES version, and the games are expanded and more user-friendly. This did get a North American release.

Edited by MagitekAngel
  • Like 1

On the other hand, I highly recommend looking into the Game Boy Color release of Dragon Warrior I & II. The game isn't dumbed down, but the graphics and interface are improved from the NES version, and the games are expanded and more user-friendly. This did get a North American release.

I second this. The GBC Dragonwarrior 1+2 cart is excellent. And works with the Super Game Boy.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up guys. I have the english translation ROM of DQ 1&2 for emulation but prefer an actual cart to play on. I usually just use an emulator to "test drive" games I am unsure of. I wasn't aware of the GBC release but will look for it. This might be the best option - then I can play it at work!

Personally I didn't like the GBC version. To me the graphics looked 'muddy' for some reason. It's a step up from the NES version to be sure, but nowhere near as cool as the SNES version. I still think you might be able to find a repro cart for it.

Then again, this wouldn't be a problem if they'd just release the DQ 25th Anniversary collection for the Wii here.

Then again, this wouldn't be a problem if they'd just release the DQ 25th Anniversary collection for the Wii here.

Amen brother :thumbsup:

I know the series is a bigger hit in Japan but you would think with the millions of Dragon Warrior carts sold here in the US there would be a market. Besides can't be that hard to just port them to the wii, it's RPG's for Christs sake :)