IGNORED

Nintendo's pre-E3 Press Video

Mendon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkPdAWfFjI&feature=g-logo-xit

Iwata might not be the most dynamic and energetic speaker, but I must admit that my interest in the Wii-U went up a bit after watching this video.

I see some really interesting potential/features in the system.... as an example (though not a biggie at all) is that the game pad is also a TV remote if you want it to be.

Mendon

• Like 1

okay, this actually looks really cool. I might be in on this and I didn't expect to be. Thanks for sharing this. Now I want a wii-u, where previously I wasn't planning to be part of 'next gen.'

For the record I was also pretty into wii up until release when I realized the games mostly weren't going the direction I thought they were going to go. But if Wii-u has some solid, non-mascot games at launch, I'm totally in on day one. I'm also going to stop making fun of that screen-controller. At least for a while.

I love the Wii but I admit the frustrations I have had with Nintendo have basically killed any interest I have with WiiU and this press conference does nothing to change my mind.

Until I start hearing "...and WiiU" coming from third parties when discussing their upcoming titles I have zero interest at all.

I also think DaytonaUSA brings up some good points. The new controller is going to add even more confusion for WiiU's customer base, and let's face it, that is not gamers, it is still the casual crowd. This is the same crowd that thinks "WiiU" refers to a tablet that somehow connects to their existing Wii console.

Nintendo have chosen badly to stick with the Wii monicker and now that this newest machine hosts a multitude of controllers, I predict we are going to end up with a lack of support for any of them. It's kind of WiiMotion Plus all over again.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope Nintendo does well, but for me personally I am out.

This video was a lot of fluff & talk, with maybe a minute to a minute-and-a-half of useful information. I understand that it's a ****ing touchpad, it's obvious that it has buttons and two sticks, now show me some damn games.

I'm also disappointed in the look of the console itself. The look of the Famicom, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and all the various handhelds they've made are iconic. This thing looks like an old bar of soap.

The bit with the dopey hipster was painful to watch, too, and I think he tops the Wii Music dork from a few years back.

I'm not so sure that having various controllers available for the Wii-U system is going to be confusing to consumers simply because there were various controllers available for the Wii upon its release and that didn't stop its high sales. Not only was there the Wii-mote & Nunchuk that came with the system but you also had the Classic Controller and GameCube controllers for use with varying games and I don't recall confusion as being an issue.

And developers didn't seem to be bothered with varying controller options on the Wii as they adapted their releases to include the option of Wii-mote/Nunchuk or Classic Controller or even GameCube controller support.

So, I really don't think the controller options of the Wii-U will be a problem.

System Name? I agree 100% that the Wii-U name is terrible..... I didn't like it the minute I heard it and still don't. Will the name confuse casual customers with what they are buying? I really doubt there will be any problems because if Grandma and Grandpa want a "Nintendo" they will get plenty of info from sales clerks, advertising, and the general media just as they did when the Wii was released.

Mendon

The bit with the dopey hipster was painful to watch, too, and I think he tops the Wii Music dork from a few years back.

Annoying? Yes. Painfully accurate portrayal of gamers? Very yes.

Also, they said already that they're going to focus on the games during E3, and decided to save the hardware guff for it's own thing. In other words, Ninty might just have a lot of games to show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkPdAWfFjI&feature=g-logo-xit

Iwata might not be the most dynamic and energetic speaker, but I must admit that my interest in the Wii-U went up a bit after watching this video.

I see some really interesting potential/features in the system.... as an example (though not a biggie at all) is that the game pad is also a TV remote if you want it to be.

Mendon

Really the TV Remote ideas seems the most useless feature to me. Most people have their HDTVs hooked up to cable or satellite boxes, what are the chances it's actually going to work with those, and how hard will it be to set it up to work?

Not sure about the NFC either and how that's going to be used. (How many wireless standards to we need anyways?)

The skit reminded me of the awful Atari Jaguar infomercial.

The Wii U name is necessary for Nintendo. They can't start over in this generation. Xbox and PS3 are coming on strong and they need to carry as much Wii momentum with them into the next generation.

I never understood why they didn't just name their systems NES, NES 2, NES 3...like Sony did with PlayStation. Why throw away a good brand you've invested so much money in and have to start over again all the time?

Really the TV Remote ideas seems the most useless feature to me. Most people have their HDTVs hooked up to cable or satellite boxes, what are the chances it's actually going to work with those, and how hard will it be to set it up to work?

Not sure about the NFC either and how that's going to be used. (How many wireless standards to we need anyways?)

Hey, I thought the TV remote function sounded like a nice extra. I was having to hand my wife three remotes last night & saying that maybe we should get a programmable universal remote. If the Wii-U is that, that would be nice.

NFC? Pokemon, pokemon, pokemon. Buy chip-containing cards/figurines, import them to your games. Heard of Skylanders? That.

But if Wii-u has some solid, non-mascot games at launch, I'm totally in on day one.

And looking at the launch lineup announced, I think that I'll wait. So far it's got nothing for me.

Nothing even slightly appealing. If they handed me this system today, I'd check out the neat screen and go back to better games.

I don't know what I was hoping for. Rogue Squadron would have been a good start. That got me to buy a gamecube pretty damn quickly.

Edited by Reaperman

they needed to show more of what online gaming is like on the Wii U.

because the demo clip for the Sunday show was just so sad and out of touch with how gamers play online. who pauses a game, goes to write a bunch of text messages. wait for people to type out more messages. goes back to game. still frustrated, he pauses the game again, docks his controller to start up a video chat, gets some tips, and then goes back to the game????

in today's online world, he and his friends are playing together, helping each other out, and talking to each other. we don't stop the game, type some messages, start the game, pause, more messages. it's a lot easier to say something in 4 seconds in real time during the game than doing this snail pace communication. and let's say his friends aren't around for him to play with, he should still be able to talk to them. the next gen should have Sony and Nintendo catch up and provide crossgame party chat like on the 360.

I take back everything I said about there being no confusion over the Wii-U and Wii names. CNN does a hands-on with the new system and doesn't even know what the hell they have their hands on:

http://edition.cnn.c.../wii-u-demo-e3/

Quoting the first sentence of the article......

"Will Nintendo's forthcoming Wii U controller breathe new life into its aging Wii console?"

Sigh......

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

The comments on that article are pretty good though.

How does an error of this magnitude slip by CNN? They must really not care about this. I am imagining the meeting before Larry went to E3:

Editor: Hey guys, people like this videogame stuff...we need someone to go check it out.

*silence*

Editor: Anyone?

*silence*

Editor: This isn't the Inquisition, people, SOMEONE needs to go...

*Larry the retarded janitor walks by the meeting room*

Editor: HEY LARRY....LAAAARRRRYYYYYY!

Larry: WHHHHUUUUUUT?

Editor: You wanna go to E3?

Larry: You dumb, there's only one E in the alphabet.

Editor: OK, YOU'RE PERFECT! You leave tomorrow!

i can already picture grandparents everywhere asking for the w u2. in my time at gamestop i've heard everything from 'w eye eye' to 'w 2'.

its a dumb name and i expect nintendo to follow their trend of being totally creatively bankrupt when it comes to naming games, expect a lot of pikmin u, mario kart u, kirby u, etc. ugh.

I take back everything I said about there being no confusion over the Wii-U and Wii names. CNN does a hands-on with the new system and doesn't even know what the hell they have their hands on:

http://edition.cnn.c.../wii-u-demo-e3/

Quoting the first sentence of the article......

"Will Nintendo's forthcoming Wii U controller breathe new life into its aging Wii console?"

Sigh......

Mendon

Journalists, your moral and intellectual superiors!

Double-facepalm.jpg

I wonder if this is why there won't be 2-player right away. People might think that all you need to turn your Wii into a Wii U is to buy an extra tablet.

Edited by BillyHW

I remember when the N64 came out, my local TV news ran a 2-minute segment on it. They showed footage of Mario 64, and pretty much kept repeating variations of "This week, gamers were able to buy a new version of the popular video game 'Nintendo'!" It was obvious that whoever wrote it had no idea that "Nintendo" was the console, "Mario" was the video game, the game was played ON the console, etc. It made me wonder why they even bothered, when all it did was demonstrate how clueless they were.

Then again, this was the mid-90s, when local news seemed to take a trend downward.... not that I expect much better from CNN.

.... not that I expect much better from CNN.

Even CNN can't figure out the WiiU is a new console. Ugh.

This only goes to back up what I said earlier, the casual crowd is going to be too confused about what this thing is.

Sweet replies from that CNN article though:

They've edited the article, it once read: "Will Nintendo's forthcoming Wii U breathe new life into its ageing Wii console?" now it has a typo and reads:

Will Nintendo's forthcoming Wii U breathe new life into its -aging- Wii concept?". Console to concept.

For everyone on this site that is confused about Wii U, please go visit a gaming website to find out real information about it.

What the author is calling the Wii U is actually just the Wii U gamepad. It is the controller for the Wii U Console, not the Console itself.

Edited by ComputerSpaceFan

Nope, turns out there's still no 3DS XL coming.

(secretly hoping that a 3DS XL won't ever exist because I paid full price for a "regular" 3DS on launch day. Not that I regret it, or anything :P )

Edited by Animan