IGNORED

8-bit keyboard I.e. 800xl,1200xl to PC/Mac via USB

Plenty have asked before, so it's probably a viable project.

Me - I don't see the point besides novelty value. Lack of Alt, Windows, Function Keys, placement of the cursor keys plus the fact anything aside from a 600XL is too cumbersome to be a viable replacement.

Is this for emulation purposes? I've never really thought about a need/desire to use a real A8 keyboard with an emulator, but I would like to do that with the C64, so maybe for A8 emulation it would be similarly handy or just interesting?

Without more specifics, I'd have a hard time putting an acceptable price on something like this. Can you list the proposed plan and specs and how much you think it would need to sell for, then maybe judge interest based on that?

Plenty have asked before, so it's probably a viable project.

Me - I don't see the point besides novelty value. Lack of Alt, Windows, Function Keys, placement of the cursor keys plus the fact anything aside from a 600XL is too cumbersome to be a viable replacement.

I respectfully disagree. I've been using my 1200xl keyboard for a long time now as my primary pc keyboard. If it's done with a programmable controller, you've got the 11 silver keys that can be set (as in my case) to provide for alt, function keys, etc. For example, I have the "Break" button on my 1200xl set to call up the task manager. I'd be very interested in a version that allows both Atari and pc use at the same time.

I am interested in probably 2, I have a feww spare XL cases I want to put a MINI ITX main board in and use the Atari Keyboard, for the Joystick ports I have purchased 2 USB to Atari Joystick ports, and on the SIO port I want to put my USBto1050.

Best Regards

Robert

What are you thinking of here? Code that emulates a USB keyboard allowing the Atari to act as the input device to the PC?

Could you add code to emulate a USB mouse too? Maybe using the trackball or touch pad as input devices? Or the Atari ST mouse. Include code for the CX85 numeric pad?

Would allow us to use our Atari's as a retro laptop dock, the 1200XL keyboard is massively superior to the one on the Dell, and I hate laptop track pads sooo much.

Ideally the code would not need any boot-up configuration, and could be burned to an Atarimax cartridge. That way I dont need to turn on the monitor on the Atari, just hook the SIO2USB cable into the laptop, power up the Atari and start typing.

If that's the idea here then count me in.

Is your design based on a microcontroller?

Here's an OTS customizable controller, though rather pricey at $99:

http://www.sprintek.... User Guide.pdf

The problem I ran into with a hardwired controller is it's presence messes with the Atari's keyboard encoder and vice versa. Lots of ghosting on the PC side unless the two logic chips are removed from the Atari keyboard, which obviously renders the keyboard useless to the Atari. At least that's what I've found with my 1200xl. I like the idea of a cartridge solution that simply outputs ps2 keyboard codes to the pc when the Atari is booted up.