IGNORED

Most Unplayable Games on the Atari

snicklin

How about Karateka... was anyone able to complete it. I usually die after beating a few guys. The overall response of the game seemed pretty sluggish to me for a karate game.

I've seen it completed but never could get anywhere near myself, as you say the controls were sluggish to react.

Fight Night?

I believe that it ""streamed"" some moves or animations from disk..

I think you mean "Bop'n Wrestle" and yes, this was/is unplayable.

I'm not sure about "Whistler's Brother".

I cannot say, that this is not enjoyable, but why the heck tilts the screen and falls the professor, it he scrolls outside of the visible area...

I loved Whistlers Brother, finished it....

Very tricky game but there is a knack to it..

Can't believe Whistler's Bro got mentioned in this thread :twisted:

Fantastic game only let down by not getting any harder after the 2nd time through. Keeping the Dr under control is the key part of gameplay - using the whistle and a push of the stick in the right direction solves most problems, you learn where the fall off points are so can usually avoid them by parking him somewhere. Awesome game :grin:

The only game I ever truly got narky with on the A8 was The Last V8. I remember the problem being the controls, which made little sense to me at the time. I can't remember what they were but I suspect the programmer decided it was a good idea to use left and right joystick movements to move a car travelling along a horizontally scrolling road.

I'd agree with Bop 'n' wrestle being unplayable with 64k, but it did use the extra RAM on a 130xe, making it moderately fun - although the difficulty of the wrestlers you were against was a bit inconsistent, and you had to spin the enemy forever before throwing them against the ropes... A working strategy is to repeatedly grab and headbutt your until they're worn out, then slam them - and repeat to complete the game, somewhat boringly! Probably they should have ditched the 64k version and just released for 128k, then at least you knew what you needed - but that would have been rare (even unique? Were there any 128k only releases?)

Karateka was maybe a tad sluggish in the heavily graphic scenes, (would love someone to try and optimise it like JH did with Amaurote) - but you can learn it. So I completed it, and really enjoyed the epic storyline thing they tried to do. And I thought Cavernia was a beauty - can't remember how many levels I got through... so both of those I'd say don't really deserve "unplayable" status IMHO! But I'm quite a generous optimist... yes, lots of this is about taste, and some games had a tough "entry" level, and you had to work at it to get the hang of it properly - hence you had to like it enough. As a kid it took me 3 weeks to learn to land in Blue Max - maybe one of the most excellent playable games of all...

Can't believe Whistler's Bro got mentioned in this thread :twisted:

Well - and I cannot believe Karateka is mentioned. Still no problems to play it through - by joystick (heard that keyboard is preferred).

Seems to be taste (and life...)... ;-)

Well, maybe because I suck at playing games.. ;-) but the motion really seemed less than responsive... played with joysticks...

I can't believe how rubbish I've become at the old8bit stuff, I guess I've been spoilt by the new consoles auto everything, most games are set so you can't fall off stuff, the aim is helped and over all the player has to do no more than aim a little.

Nice to get back to the old hard stuff but boy do I 'suck' at them now :)

Airball gets my vote..... while a very pretty game it's impossibly tough with the joystick. I played the ST version for a while when I was younger, didn't try the A8 version until recently.

But my personal contribution to this list is ShadowHawk One..... which deceives you at first with the super cool wireframe 3D space ships zooming in on the intro screen. I have NEVER been able to figure out how to play it. I had in on floppy decades ago and found it again in some net archive someplace.

No one's mentioned Thunderfox? Now that's unplayable for more than a few minutes. And I think that both Hypnotic Land and Junks Jinks are a must for any list of this type.

I loved Mask of the Sun when it first came out, but it has a terrible sequence in which the player must jump over lava on a sequence of stone 'islands', and this nearly ruined the entire game for me. I must've spent hours on this crossing before I was able to move on -- I hate skill tests dependent on random timing sequences.

No one's mentioned Thunderfox? Now that's unplayable for more than a few minutes. And I think that both Hypnotic Land and Junks Jinks are a must for any list of this type.

I loved Mask of the Sun when it first came out, but it has a terrible sequence in which the player must jump over lava on a sequence of stone 'islands', and this nearly ruined the entire game for me. I must've spent hours on this crossing before I was able to move on -- I hate skill tests dependent on random timing sequences.

OK I'll stick up for the Hypnotic Land - once you figure out how to setup the arrows to deflect the balls (or whatever they are) it's a reasonable game ;)

Some other contenders perhaps ;)

Up Up & Away would be better if it was a bit faster, same for Solo Flight perhaps?

How about Ghost Busters (Difficulty?), Dimension X (Is there any gameplay apart from the Tunnels?), Drol although a Fantastic Game is really tough (probably put's people off repeat play?) - has anyone ever beaten level 9/three times round the game? [there is a trainer version out there]. Oriley's Mine - starts off great fun but gets way too easy the further you get (too many things on screen = too many extra lives). Nadral - does anyone like this one? I'll 2nd Crumbes Crisis, Mirax Force - controls/movement/detached gameplay, Hovver Bovver - tough/twitchy controls perhaps, Fire Bird!

Probably that super sprint clone from Codemasters (Formula 1 simulator?) that was pretty terrible.

Also the driving level of Fire Chief is pretty damned hard!

I like F1 Sim (and BMX Sim) and Fire Chief is cool - go flat out use the burn in dabs then slow down to cruise through the rest of the traffic... I guess both could be better though as they are quite tough ;)

Why wasn't the Speed Run track widened a bit? Whoever programmed that should have been sacked for the gameplay.

YES :thumbsup: This has got to be the winner, at least the Last V8 you could sort of play (a bit). Another contended is Sidewinder extremely hard/twitchy controls :(