IGNORED

Forgotten Racing Games - Part 2

hey MJ you said you don't have a Wii a few AllGen podcasts back, & this latest one you mentioned Excitebike as a favorite. You'll be glad to know there's a WiiWare modern update called ExciteBike World Rally. I haven't played it but I keep meaning to get it, reviews were favorable.

& what did you think of the 1st Splashdown, if you played it?

Edited by RJ

One suggestion I'd like to make, is if you could briefly touch on what the multiplayer is like. I've noticed this weird trend (especially on the Dreamcast) for good racing games to either have no multiplayer, or very lame multiplayer (like in Demolition Racer, where you only get certain game modes to play).

Also, apparently you need to do a segment on the OutRun 2 games, because I'm tired of recommending it/them to people who wish the first OutRun had a modern-day remake =|

I also always really liked Test Drive III: The Passion. It's difficult to get it running at a decent speed on modern computers, and the steering sensitivity is way too high (and I can't find a registered version of the program that can adjust it for you), but I always liked how non-linear it was. You could just turn on the radio and cruise the coastline for a while if you wanted to...you could turn the headlights on and off, and the windshield wipers (sometimes it would rain or snow). Wish they'd make a modern game like this. I know they made one where you cruise around Hawaii, but I can't get it to run on the PC.

I just watched both installments, enjoyed both. You have a good narrating voice. I knew nothing about any of the DOS racers; I also own the DC Suzuki Alstare game & enjoy it.

two games lit my fire and I never heard of either before:

1. Splashdown - Rides Gone Wild -- it reminds me of the fun/wild Hydro Thunder type of gameplay. (PS1, I'll have to keep my eyes open at The Exchange for it).

2. The downhill bike game - looked pretty fun and 'different' from normal racing games.

You need to do a segment on the OutRun 2 games, because I'm tired of recommending it/them to people who wish the first OutRun had a modern-day remake =|

You are not kidding about Outrun 2. I LOVE that game on the original Xbox. Silky smooth framerate, great controls and I love the new mini games. Definitely a great game!

Just watched both videos - they're great! Especially pleased to see Downhill Domination and Splashdown featured, both games are a lot of fun. Some suggestions for parts 3 & 4....

Atari VCS Night Driver

Atari VCS Indy 500

Atari VCS Enduro

Atari 800 Rally Speedway

SNES/Megadrive Power Drive

Megadrive Super Skidmarks

GBA Racing Gears Advance

Playstation 1 Ray Tracers

Playstation 2 Auto Modellista

Playstation 2 Motor Storm Arctic Edge

Dreamcast Rush Rush Rally Racing

I've got to try Splash Down now. I bought Downhill Domination after the last video discussion and it was just incredible.

For super obscure, a few weeks ago I was playing Merlin Racing on Nuon. Outside of a pretty annoying drivable level select/unlock system, it was really solid with some neat levels. I'm a sucker for any racer with transparent underwater tubes. The multiple vehicle types were pretty fun too.

For a more common game (at least on this forum), The Great American Cross Country Road Race boasted a surprising number of 'modern' features for 1985.

GBA Racing Gears Advance

That game had no business being as good as it was. Really an overlooked gem.

Edited by Reaperman

there was another disney racing game on PS1 that was a lot of fun.

If you mean the one I think you mean...either the Playstation version is completely different from the Dreamcast version, or...

My friends and I played it once with the explicit intent of suffering through some bad games.

I was surprised to find that the game in the review was actually a completely different game.

Edited by Asaki

I'm a huge fan of the PS1 kart racer "Looney Tunes Racing."

They really went all out trying to make a competitor for Mario Kart racing and the developer's passion shows:

Good kart racing physics

A ton of kart based minigames

Plenty of unlockables including new karts that were not just reskins

Each track had its own distinct design and feel--each was based on a diff classic cartoon (Opera, Jack and the beanstalk, studio backlot, etc)

I think it's plays far better than Looney Tunes Space Race which was promising, but it was waaay to easy to just fly your rocket off the track.