IGNORED

I'm crazy... and I just might do it!

themilford

I've been having delusions of starting my own Arcade... In NYC.

Am I crazy? Can it be done effectively?

I'm a amp repair guy and love to tinker with consoles and such... so learning maintenance on these machines would be easy for me.

I'm thinking Brooklyn's Park Slope/Sunset Park area could use a decent classic arcade where folks could come and take their shots at some records.

What kinda investment would I be looking at for a 25-30 game room?

The wife says I should find investors and do it...

Should I start collecting machines now?

Anybody here interested an partnering up?

#1 do it if you won't starve while the arcade isn't making money

#2 pay mortgage on the building that will house the arcade, not rent

#3 read Retrocade Magazine: we have interviews in each of our first three issues with arcade owners (preview #1 of issue 3 was released this morning which contains an interview with an arcade owner, available to R'cade Mag forum members only at http://www.retrocademagazine.net/forums/index.php)

I'm in NYC... so the location will materialize... like it does.

I'm brainstorming the plan here... no better place, right?

I've wanted a few machines for myself anyway... and have a temporary location to start putting them. My buddy runs a recording/rehearsal space where we can do a trial run with say 4-5 machines...

As for investors, I would prolly come up with half myself... that would leave an unknown for the rest.

Again, this all my be crazy-talk... but who cares... the last business I started came about in the same way... as a shot in the dark on a forum. And that business is doing well and growing to this day.

I'm a homeowner in Brooklyn... and my family are in a god financial place where an endeavor like this won't hurt. My side business would be funding the capital.

Owning a space is a good idea but very hard to come by in NYC for a reasonable price. I guess I'll start looking.

Rmaerz: mag looks awesome... can I order print copies in the US?

I admire the enthusiasm and I like the idea, but one has to seriously wonder - in 2012 - how quarter-munchers could *possibly* pay the rent in NYC, where the smallest shithole apartment imaginable is probably $2000/month. It must be several thousand $$$ per month for a good business location, eh? How many quarters will that take, after all other untold expenses are taken care of? If you're a wealthy philanthropist looking to indulge in some 80's nostalgia and have vast finances to throw at it merely for fun, then it would be awesome.

Rent is cheaper than you think... there are industrial locations... Sunset Park is cheap and direly in need of a recreation center... But yes there would have to be something else to generate revenue... Barcade has this figured out with the bar side of things.

Maybe retrogaming arcade/retro-console gaming store... maybe a performance space as well... I dunno... but yes I need another angle.

There are a few arcade establishments in Brooklyn currently. Barcade is one of the more prominent establishments:

http://barcadebrooklyn.com/

Maybe you could stop in there and see how they are doing. I think that nowadays, you need to have more than just arcade games. The novelty is not strong enough for repeat business...not for someone who just wants a quick dose of nostalgia. You won't make enough money off of the handful of arcade enthusiasts who are local...why not try something with a dual purpose:

Laundromat / arcade (my favorite...something everyone needs in Brooklyn)

Coffee house / arcade

Bar / Arcade

Turkish bath / arcade (just kidding)

Asian massage parlor / arcade (not kidding at all)

I'm sure you get my drift...dual purpose is the way to go. Dual purpose = multiple revenue streams. This is key to the long term survival of your business. I hope this helps.

I'm sure you get my drift...dual purpose is the way to go. Dual purpose = multiple revenue streams. This is key to the long term survival of your business. I hope this helps.

I've mentioned Barcade... I was there last night.

Did you read my post above yours? I say the same thing. ;-)

Thanks for your thoughts... I'm on that very page.

Edited by themilford

I started to respond before you posted...left the computer...came back and finished. I hadn't seen your post before or I wouldn't have posted.

No matter...at least we are on the same page! So...when can I expect an asian massage parlor/arcade in Park Slope? :D

Oh boy... Asian Massage Parlor/Arcade... only half-legal. But yeah, that would be awesome.

Here's a few on my other hobbies that might marry well:

Arcade / Oyster Bar /Single-malt Scotch bar

Arcade / Nudie Bar

Arcade / Retro Bicycle shop.

Arcade / Raw food/juice restaurant...

Arcade / VIntage-RPG-shop

I think food will have to factor in somehow... I'm a hell of a cook... smoked meats and fish, awesome chili and cole slaw...

It'll happen.