IGNORED

Has anyone else been disappointed by the Vita?

I found an article on Game Informer somewhat interesting as it sort of explains the reason for a lack of regular game releases for the system:

"Playstation Boss Admits Vita Has Been A Tough Sell To Publishers" http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/08/10/playstation-boss-admits-vita-has-been-a-tough-sell-to-publishers.aspx

I've played around with the Vita some and its really a very, very nice and well designed unit; the hardware is there. But a small library, high price, and poor economy probably makes the Vita a currently hard sell.

Mendon

I' ve found Pinball Arcade to be rather neat myself for starters,it has better resolution than PHOF did on the PSP.Also,Resistance Burning Skies is fun in Infrastructure gaming with up to 8 players.Uncharted was a neat title.Hot Shots and FIFA were neat too.Little Deviants has some fun moments.Asphalt was sort of a neat racer.Marvel I have but haven't played yet.I would like to see more games out there myself though.The July 3rd PA update\upgrade in one thing I'm looking forward to here,as Bride of Pin*Bot is the best of the two tables for me on the last update we just got. ;)

I have the Pinball Arcade demo myself and was very impressed. Just the right amount of tactile stimulation with launching the ball through the touch screen. The graphics are also wonderful. It is surely a game that I intend to buy.

I haven't really been disappointed with it. I kind of knew what I was getting and what I was going to use it for. I didn't get it for apps (I have an iPad for that). I got it to play the Playstation games tha I had missed out on since I didn't, at the time, own a PS3. Yes there has been shortage of game released but I knew that was coming when I bought it. really looking forward to LBP. Loved Uncharted and Resistence.

I prefer it immensely to the PSP in terms of something I want to hold in my hands and play; but what to play? If not for Pinball Arcade, it would be gathering a lot more dust than it has.

In truth, my primary reason for buying the Vita was when the PlaystationSuite/Mobile beta went live for the public. I’ve been making games for XNA this year, and the fact that the PlaystationMobile development kit uses the same C# language as XNA, and has a nearly identical publishing model, had me thinking I could easily port some of my already existing Xbox games to the Vita. The fly in the ointment is that I may not be able to develop explicitly for the Vita, which means incorporating touch screen controls and display resolutions for any PlaystationMobile certified Android device (pffft). But, with a content hungry audience of Vita owners, the opportunities for indie games to do well once PlaystationMobile goes live this fall is really enticing.

Edited by Akito01

I haven't been disappointed by the Vita simply because I decided against buying it altogether. I knew I wouldn't like it, and seeing how things launched (memory card prices, just for starters) and the fact that there's not a game on there that interests me, it looks like I made the right decision. I'm not going to miss it, I have a load of things I really need to get around to play anyway.

Has anyone else been disappointed by the Vita?

Yes. As one of the few PSP fans, both for hacked options and official PSP software, I looked forward to the Vita.

So far I have played one for several hours, but there is too much against it for me. Memory Sticks an annoyance with the PSP, but eventually there were Micro SD adapters that made things much cheaper. The new memory card format is too much for me to handle, both in price and yet another standard that I have to deal with.

The game prices are ridiculous.

I refuse to pay the same price for downloaded content that I do for physical media. Sony has been bad with that for years, but it's even worse now.

I love what the Vita offers, but refuse to adopt their models (yet again) for proprietary memory cards and another closed system with few games that I'm interested in playing. With the PSP, Sony promised many things but only homebrew developers delivered. Even with many homebrew applications being open source, Sony chose to ignore those features and focus on fighting homebrew. When they finally delivered the few things that were promised (and already delivered by homebrew), it was a day late, a dollar short, and with far less flexibility of the homebrew. PSPRadio is my favorite example, a net radio streamer that showed up in 2005. When Sony finally delivered net radio streaming years later, it was a complete cluster F. All they had to do was use existing code to make a better application, but they failed on every level.

Even with CFW PSPs, I have over 150 physical PSP games, at least 40% purchased new. Sony didn't support me, and failed to deliver on what they promised with the PSP.

I have no faith that they learned anything about the PSP, and will continue to be as stupid with the Vita. I have seen no examples of how the Vita will be a better situation for ownership, and probably worse. As much as I want to love the Vita, it's a fail out of the gate.

What he said ^

$200+... when I know good and well that inside of 2-3 years it will be $100 or more, less than the inital price. As with 'all' hardware releases, I will wait unitl the price drops. I automatically wait because the value for my dollar spent is better imo. I also wait, because companies like Sony fail on so many levels... of which I don't have the time to repeat, of which I'm sure most of you are already familiar with anyhow.

For one, charging what they're charging for Memory sticks in this day in age... is insulting... plain and simple. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news for Sony, but logic to me says... if a company can't afford to get said memory sticks out and about (available) to the public for a fair price, then they should not have bothered in the first place.

For two, Sony completely redesigning 'the way Gamers download and integrate Mini and PS1 games that are compatible with the PSP' with the Vita in mind was wrong on so many levels. The main one being, that if a Gamer has already downloaded and installed a PSP compatible game (before the Vita update went into effect, via an OS update), one has to re-download that game so that it can be transferred to the PSP.

(I'm sure most know this, but I'll share in detail for those who do not):

Previous to the Vita being released, I could at any time... simply connect my PSP to my P3, and copy any PSP compatible games to my PSP. Now that the Vita has come out, and an OS update to reflect said new hardware was forced upon PSN users (I update my games, so yes, I needed the latest OS update... also, I don't mod Console games, so save your breath in regards to that), I can't simply copy my installed games to my PSP (I have close to 40 Mini and PS1 games, that are compatible with the PSP)... I have been told by Sony (and it's confirmed all over the net) that I have to literally 're-download' ALL of those games.... 'just' so I can copy the bubble to my PSP.

Sony expects me to put all that extra wear and tear on my (already fragile 5800 or whatever catatonic speed HD Sony used with my P3 Slim) HD..... all because they couldn't figure out how to incorporate the new Handheld device into the PSN.

As much enjoyment as Sony products continue to bring me, and have brought me throughout my lifetime.... the time comes when a Consumer has had enough middle fingers stuffed in his/her face. I'm at that point, and I don't know how many of my fellow gamers agree... but it is time to literally take a stand with your wallet. If every Console gamer in this country vowed to force Devs/Pubs to be honest with their promises and their products, then Consumers should stand by their requests, by not buying products at First Release... it's the only way to let the big 3 know that as a Gamer, you will have your way one way or another.

• Like 1

it is time to literally take a stand with your wallet. If every Console gamer in this country vowed to force Devs/Pubs to be honest with their promises and their products, then Consumers should stand by their requests, by not buying products at First Release... it's the only way to let the big 3 know that as a Gamer, you will have your way one way or another.

I wish I had the Citizen Kane applause gif readily available right now. I totally agree with Protoplasym here.

Although this thread is about the VITA, I have been doing exactly what Protoplasym says when it comes to the 3DS. I was very impressed with the 3D hardware when I finally laid my eyes on it but the handheld itself looked unappealing to me (I mean the three-layer cake fit and finish), I was unimpressed with the poor battery life, and there were very few titles launched with it that appealed to me.

So, like Proto, I voted with my wallet. I declined to buy the first 3DS version because I knew damn well Nintendo were going to redesign it like they always do. I held out for a year and it was pretty easy to do because only half a dozen titles were even remotely interesting to me.

And here we are with a newly redesigned 3DS coming out next week with better battery life, better overall look, and finally a bunch of titles I actually want to play.

I stood by my request to the manufacturer, I wanted a better handheld from them and they finally delivered it.

it is time to literally take a stand with your wallet. If every Console gamer in this country vowed to force Devs/Pubs to be honest with their promises and their products, then Consumers should stand by their requests, by not buying products at First Release... it's the only way to let the big 3 know that as a Gamer, you will have your way one way or another.

I wish I had the Citizen Kane applause gif readily available right now. I totally agree with Protoplasym here.

Although this thread is about the VITA, I have been doing exactly what Protoplasym says when it comes to the 3DS. I was very impressed with the 3D hardware when I finally laid my eyes on it but the handheld itself looked unappealing to me (I mean the three-layer cake fit and finish), I was unimpressed with the poor battery life, and there were very few titles launched with it that appealed to me.

So, like Proto, I voted with my wallet. I declined to buy the first 3DS version because I knew damn well Nintendo were going to redesign it like they always do. I held out for a year and it was pretty easy to do because only half a dozen titles were even remotely interesting to me.

And here we are with a newly redesigned 3DS coming out next week with better battery life, better overall look, and finally a bunch of titles I actually want to play.

I stood by my request to the manufacturer, I wanted a better handheld from them and they finally delivered it.

It is nice to see a fellow Gamer speak with his Wallet :) There aren't enough of us to make a difference I'm afraid :D

Funny you mention the 3DS.... I waited until the price drop. Lol, I get it at around 160-170... and now I've been told by Mr. Hancock that there is an XL version coming out.

Lol... silly me. I waited for the last iteration of the PSP to drop before going PSP. I waited for the PS Slim to drop before going PS3, same thing for the 360... waited for the Slim version. I literally waited until early '10 to start collecting for the P3&360. Bought my P2 slim end of '09.

I wait for stuff. I'm late to the party. I pay less... I play the games years after they 'were cool to play', usually the MP isn't as hot when I buy something (I don't play much MP, take a guess whether or not I spend 50-60 a year on MP 360... I do not).

So... the Vita... looks really badass with dual A. sticks. I'm still 'not' sure why the original PSP didn't come with that design in the first place, but I'm sure that question has been beaten to death. My Wantlist is pretty weak, which imo speaks volumes for the nonexistent library of top notch software. My List is literally under 10... hopefully it'll grow to 20-30 over the course of the next year. I will definitely aim to pay $150 or less for the system at some point... and unfortunately I'm not sure how I'm going to keep myself from being bent over a table for the Memory Sticks.

Can anyone honestly justify why Sonys PS2 8MB sticks 'still' go for $20 at todays Retailers across the country??? 8 megabyte for $20.... :mad: :arrow: :thumbsdown:

So to answer the OPs' question... I can't say... I won't know for at least another 2-3 years.

:D :P :thumbsup:

Edited by Protoplasym

I think this is worthy of quoting by itself.... if EVERY knowledgeable Gamer could come together... we could ALL literally force todays Publishers and Developers to do what we wanted. This would have benefits and cons.

Make the analogy of Unionized workers. It's nice that they have 'power' in #s, but it doesn't exactly make sense when someone who does a 40-50k/year job wants 6 figures for the same work. I'm generalizing and greatly simplifying that situation for the sake of 'hopefully' making the analogy work (I am terrible at analogies).

Guys, imagine for a second if there was a site/place/organization where Gamers could sign up, that would allow them to be a part of a 'no buy on first retail because of "this" reason/etc/etc" - imagine if millions of Gamers literally signed a Petition (that was easily viewable/verifiable by todays Pubs/Devs) that asked the Pubs/Devs to change something to the Gamers liking... and if it actually made a difference.

Demo comes out with Tearing, Gamers sign a petition and say they won't buy until it's patched at first level retail. Devs say they're going to be chincy with the Games contents, i.e. they plan on releasing 100 dlc packs, when all of that content could easily be included in a $60 game... same thing, Gamers unite and say no dice until the Dev changes their stance.

Some Devs would butt heads with the wishes of Gamers and would consequently fail, and go out of business. I don't wish anyone to go hungry, but when someone wants to take advantage of a situation, they need to be dealt with.

Blizzard is 'the' perfect example. I wish Gamers would have literally boycotted SCII until Blizz got their act together and A. Incorporated LAN back into the games code, and B. Took away the requirement for having to be online to play Single Player.

**I'm rantin now........ pardon moi** :sleep:

Edited by Protoplasym

• 4 months later...

This topic has been dormant for a while, but I'm resurrecting it because it seems to be the one topic where there was more than a little bit of discussion about the PSV. I'm curious to know whether anyone here is [still] playing on a PSV. I bought one recently and have a PSN voucher code for the system's PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale fighting game that I'd like to either sell or trade, but perhaps this is just totally the wrong community to be in for talking about this system. . . .

Personally, I don't find it disappointing at all. At least not the hardware; there is the fact that I still haven't played any games on it yet.

onmode-ky

Edited by onmode-ky

Besides waiting for a price drop, you can always get yourself a Sony Rewards Credit Card, build up your rewards points by using the credit card for everything you purchase and then get either version of the PSP Vita for free like I did through the Sony Rewards website, along with a bunch of accessories and a couple games, for my son.

I have since reclaimed my PSP so that I can play some old-school games via emulators while I am at work... so in my eye the PSP Vita is the best acquisition I have made in some time!

Besides waiting for a price drop, you can always get yourself a Sony Rewards Credit Card, build up your rewards points by using the credit card for everything you purchase and then get either version of the PSP Vita for free

What bank offers this card?

What bank offers this card?

I just looked back at all my credit card info and originally it was a Sony issued Visa credit card that my wife so wisely signed up for many years ago (I would say at least 8 years ago). Later Chase and now Capital One have taken over the card, BUT the Sony Rewards program has continued on in both cases. I hope this helps.

I curious how much you spent in order to get a Vita for free...

The Sony Rewards points are issued at a rate of 1 point for every dollar charged using this credit card (Capital One now, see above). Over the years that I have had this particular credit card, the rewards have allowed me to obtain entirely free the following Sony brand items:

- 26" LCD TV

- Stereo Receiver

- 5-CD Changer

- DVD

- CD/Cassette Boombox

- Alarm Clock

- 2 8MB PSP Memory Cards

- PSP Vita (3G/WiFi) with Accessory Kit, Charger Cradle, 8Mb Memory Card, MLB: The Show and now PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale

As I mentioned, we put everything on this particular credit card (groceries, gas, dinners, etc., etc.) due to the great rewards gifts that are always available on the Sony Rewards site... it just takes a little patience to build the points up because there is always stuff on there that I would like to get... especially since it's free.

Not to disclose our spending habits, but in general our monthly bill is around $1500 a month for a family of four. The important thing is to pay the bill when received so as not to get hit with finance charges... which thankfully has never been an issue.

As far as the PSP Vita system, it took 29,999 rewards points to get that one. Thankfully, I hadn't used any of the points in almost a year, so they had accumulated nicely.