IGNORED

If there was a new Atari console...

Sure Sega WANTS to make the Dreamcast 2. However I just can't see a company releasing a new system without deep pockets. Sega doesn't have deep pockets and they aren't even doing very well as a publisher and 3rd part developer either. Most of what made Sega great during its hardware days is been gutted, closed, and split off. Unless some big company bought Sega for its name to release a new system, I just don't see it happening.

Exactly, Microcock are only in the console business because the US courts never punished them (those tax dollars are mighty tasty huh mr US government eh eh?) for their dirty tactics in the 80s and 90s leaving them with billions for sales of their horrible badly written software products.

At least Sony/Sega/Nintendo deserved their successes because the products they make are of some quality (ie Sony A/V equipment sales prior to development of Playstation 1 makes them a very deserved winner of that generation, how did Microsoft fund Xbox 1? With their miserable pathetic Office and Windows crap)

However, you hit the nail right on the head, there is absolutely no reason why those garlic munchers who own Atari now can't make new machines or even C64DTV style units out of Atari 2600/5200/800/ST with internet connectivity that connects to an iTunes like store and allows you to purchase Star Raiders or Rescue on Fractalus for a few pennies?

They have no intention of even doing that cheap project though, and that for me is why ALL emulation is ethically legal :)

Edited by macgoo

...there is absolutely no reason why those garlic munchers who own Atari now can't make new machines or even C64DTV style units out of Atari 2600/5200/800/ST with internet connectivity that connects to an iTunes like store and allows you to purchase Star Raiders or Rescue on Fractalus for a few pennies?

How about... reality?

• Like 2

...there is absolutely no reason why those garlic munchers who own Atari now can't make new machines or even C64DTV style units out of Atari 2600/5200/800/ST with internet connectivity that connects to an iTunes like store and allows you to purchase Star Raiders or Rescue on Fractalus for a few pennies?

How about... reality?

I tried reality once. It was a BAD trip, man.

Atari HAS a new machine: The Jaguar. It's new because homebrew is about to become REAL easy (comparatively) via the Raptor engine and C with working libraries. More than one person is actively working on or producing flash carts.

The open model wouldn't likely be one the current company with the Atari moniker would approach, but this might actually make it. It's a standardized Android platform, designed for home console use.

http://www.kickstart...eo-game-console

Looks like the project got Slashdotted, today - should be funded by tommorrow, if not earlier..

...but it also looks like they are using the Apple revenue sharing/ game approval model, so looks like it is going to model after the general Android marketplace as well.

Ars Technica did a write-up.

"Ouya owners won’t just be able to pluck any old app off the Google Play store, though—developers and customers will have to go through a proprietary Ouya store." -

http://arstechnica.c...walled-gardens/

12,000 units, so far. Didn't the Jaguar premiere with fewer units than that? ;)

One last add, then I'll stop awkwardly cluttering up the thread. A developers Twitter feed, touching on such things as production issues. They've technically sold out, though they're trying to find ways to meet demand.

https://twitter.com/juhrman

Edited by AtariNerd

I always thought it was odd that a video game system is either $50 and under (plug n plays) or $199 and up (standard console). I've never seen a newer type video game device in the middle range. There has to be a market in there.

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks there's a market for that price range.

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

and look, they've already raised close to 3 million dollars.

Even if the OUYA fails spectacularily commercialy, knowing it will get to market as a console, with an install base in the 10's of thousands to maybe 100K+ , puts it in an intriguing area of at least collectabilty, especialy if it has a second life among hobbyist programmers/developers. By the time it comes out, it will already be a generation behind in some of its' hardware - the Tegra 4 will be coming out around then, which might prove to be a stake through its heart as a Android platform within the next couple of years, especially against the iPad market. The Tegra 4 would have given it competitive hardware. (They could have waited a couple months, surely?). It still has decent capabilties, lending itself to pretty much anything any 2D platform creator could want, from shooters, to RPGs, puzzle games, etc. It also has some decent 3D capabilities for the numurous first-person Doom/Quake clones or your typical space shoot 'em up.