IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

On a real device, Bentley and the other sprites are warped.

I had to check out your claim, and I do kindly submit that you are wrong, sir.

post-9364-0-68137500-1372172983_thumb.jpg

Exhibit A:

post-9364-0-35284400-1372173302_thumb.jpg

(Not on a cuttle cart)

Edited by KevinMos3

Yep - that's exectly what that is. In the CCII I'm using, I actually have two different menu settings: one that displayes the correct graphics but has no sounds (the standard 144K bankswitch), and another one that has the sound but messed up graphics (128K w/ Pokey bankswitch).

I e-mailed Chad to ask if he was willing to make a new bank switch method, but unfortunately he doesn't even have his source files any more. :(

Thanks, Bob

• Like 1

I e-mailed Chad to ask if he was willing to make a new bank switch method, but unfortunately he doesn't even have his source files any more. :(

Yoinks! I'm surprised he would get rid of them like that!

EDIT: These are all the source files I could find

http://www.schells.com/cc2utils/cc2files.shtml

Edited by DracIsBack

I found a little trick you can do in the game, when you are in a bad position and enemies are closing in ... run backwards into a rock or fire. When you get knocked back, it seems that collisions with enemies don't register, so this can be used to get yourself out of a bad position.

I've played this myself hundreds of times, and still can't beat the witch at the end of level 1. She's tough.

You're suggesting I imagined this?

Not at all, but I AM suggesting that it DOES work properly on real hardware. (Just maybe not on a CC2 as has been established). Are you suggesting fisticuffs? ;-)

Edited by KevinMos3

Not at all, but I AM suggesting that it DOES work properly on real hardware. (Just maybe not on a CC2 as has been established). Are you suggesting fisticuffs? ;-)

No - just perhaps a more appropriate reponse than declaring "I'm wrong" ... as that's a wonderful way to convince people not to report problems when they see them. Like probably most people, I'm playing BINs on real hardware by way of a Cuttle Cart. And it didn't work. Bob's response clarified what the issue was.

one that displayes the correct graphics but has no sounds (the standard 144K bankswitch)

Bob, is it possible to post an (alternate) *.a78 file with the above as the header instead? :ponder:

I believe it would play fine graphically in MESS then - of course (POKEY) sounds would be missing.

There are some nice changes with this version graphically and control wise that wasn't present in the last "TIA" version posted that worked fine (No scrambled graphics) in MESS. :-D

• Like 1

Bob, is it possible to post an (alternate) *.a78 file with the above as the header instead? :ponder:

I believe it would play fine graphically in MESS then - of course (POKEY) sounds would be missing.

There are some nice changes with this version graphically and control wise that wasn't present in the last "TIA" version posted that worked fine (No scrambled graphics) in MESS. :-D

oops - missed this entirely :(

Here's the graphically-correct-but-no-sound version for MESS:

Bentley.a78

• Like 1

Can't wait to play this on 7800 XM hardware!

All I have is PSP 7800 emulation, which is good enough to get a taste.

Real hardware will no doubt play better, look better and sound better than PSP.

I also kinda like the perfect picture that MESS displays on an emulated woodgrain TV Trebor!

• Like 1

Can't wait to play this on 7800 XM hardware!

All I have is PSP 7800 emulation, which is good enough to get a taste.

Real hardware will no doubt play better, look better and sound better than PSP.

I also kinda like the perfect picture that MESS displays on an emulated woodgrain TV Trebor!

Indeed, nothing beats the real hardware...but MESS comes pretty darn close, especially if a few more minor issues were fixed, and few more features (I.E. XBOARD/XM support) were added.

I threw those up fast and dirty from work. You can tweak color levels, tint controls, brightness, saturation. gamma, and all sorts of CRT effects, like bloom and phosphor effects, screen curve, color bleeding and more.

I thought I was dreaming when I saw 150, 150, 150 rolling up the screen. This is SO COOL. Just like you'd see in arcade games. Fab work Mr. Bob. You must be the granddaddy of the Maria chip the way you make it run. I guess it's possible to be killed by the enemy you already shot, because it happened to me. I should probably video tape my gameplay, but I'm not in the mode to do that right now. I think what happened was I shot the shot and then touched the enemy and then the bullet hit the enemy, if that's even possible. ///blueman\\\

Small/slight tiny suggestion that may be more of a personal preference than actual issue...

Once you reach the end of the level via normal exit or warp zone, the background music for the level/round still plays when your energy bonus is being added, which then follows 'Level Completed' (or 'Warp Zone!') message/music.

My suggestion is to either have the level/round music stop playing and just hear the bonus/energy being added followed by the 'Level Completed' or 'Warp Zone!' music.

Or better yet, the bonus energy being added to your score should have the 'Level Completed'/'Warp Zone' music playing while it is occurring and then continue throughout.

Hey Trebor - I had to make a small change in order to make the boss fight music to work. After hearing the tune still playing while the bonus count is going, I kind of liked it anyway. :)

KevinMos3 found a bug at the end of 4-3 with an invalid sprite causing the player not to be able to finish the level.

Between that and the reversal of checking the player and shot collision, here is RC2.

Bentley.a78

Bentley.BIN

BentleyP.A78

BentleyP.BIN

• Like 2