IGNORED

**Sold** C64 complete in box with cassette player / tape games

willis

I have a complete in box C64 that comes with everything like box and booklets, but it doesn't work properly. It also comes with the cassette player and a bunch of cassette games. Oh, it also comes with the programming cartridge (basic) and programming book (both not pictured). I'll take some offers if anyone here is interested, just not sure what to ask for it. I don't have the time / parts to fix it so I'm looking to sell the lot of it. Here are some pics of what is included and what it does when you power it on.

0610122242b.jpg

0610122242a.jpg

0610122242.jpg

DSC02920.jpg

DSC02923.jpg

Edited by willis

You could probably sell just the box and trash the C64 or give it away free for parts/shipping cost only. The box is nice because it has the styrofoam sides and the front compartment. You may also be able to sell the cassettes and/or tape drive by itself. You own't be able to get much for this stuff as it is but by splitting a few things up maybe you can garner (there it is again) some interest.

You could probably sell just the box and trash the C64 or give it away free for parts/shipping cost only. The box is nice because it has the styrofoam sides and the front compartment. You may also be able to sell the cassettes and/or tape drive by itself. You own't be able to get much for this stuff as it is but by splitting a few things up maybe you can garner (there it is again) some interest.

Trash it?! Yikes, how could you even suggest that? It's worth something to somebody even if its just for the keyboard and shell. As the years go on, classic hardware whether it's console or computer will get harder and harder to find. Last place this system needs to be is in the dumpster.

• Like 1

I totally agree.

Trash it?! Yikes, how could you even suggest that? It's worth something to somebody even if its just for the keyboard and shell. As the years go on, classic hardware whether it's console or computer will get harder and harder to find. Last place this system needs to be is in the dumpster.

Probably bad PLA and/or VIC.

Looks to be in great physical condition, I'd be on it if the postage wasn't so huge. Case/keyboard would be ideal replacement for someone with working machine that's beaten up, or a fixer, not to mention it might have 8 working Ram chips which can fit 800XL and early XEs.

Would it be out of the question to ask like $50 for everything? Just wondering because it does have everything and even original booklet and basic programming cartridge (with book as well).

I'm not up on C64 stuff so I'm just really gauging your responses haha!

I wouldn't ask that much. Tape decks are like 5 bucks each.

Loose SIDs for whatever reason fetch near as much as a real machine.

A more realistic sale though would be on the strength of it being boxed, repairable or at least salvagable and the case/keys being useful for refurbishing another machine.

I wouldn't say 50 bucks, more like about 35 - and chances are someone wanting it for salvage value wouldn't want the tape stuff.

Just for reference, working boxed C64s with various combinations of accessories regularly go for $35 or less on ShopGoodwill.com. Of course, you have to factor in that they rape you on their shipping and handling charges.

I would imagine that, especially for a non-working unit, $35-40 shipped should be the absolute maximum you should expect, and that only if you can find someone who both has the expertise to fix or transplant some Commie bits and is in the market for another system/box. That's a pretty niche target buyer.

Of course, the ultimate rule holds true that any item is worth however much the biggest dummy is willing to pay. ;)

• Like 1

Just for reference, working boxed C64s with various combinations of accessories regularly go for $35 or less on ShopGoodwill.com. Of course, you have to factor in that they rape you on their shipping and handling charges.

I would imagine that, especially for a non-working unit, $35-40 shipped should be the absolute maximum you should expect, and that only if you can find someone who both has the expertise to fix or transplant some Commie bits and is in the market for another system/box. That's a pretty niche target buyer.

Of course, the ultimate rule holds true that any item is worth however much the biggest dummy is willing to pay. ;)

Man, you are not kidding about shopgoodwill.com - They are the only place that can take an 8 oz item and pack it so it weighs 3 lbs and then ship it ups for $20 - your $5 item is now $25 shipped thanks to the morons who run shopgoodwill.com. Actually, I take that back - your $5 item is $29 shipped because some places add the $4 handling fee. This is so idiotic because the high shipping fee isn't even going towards their "charity" as it is paying the actual cost of the shipping. I can only surmise that the handling fee pays for packing materials and their time to overwrap and overpack the items even though they use obviously worn boxes and it takes them about a week to ship sometimes. Arrggh - Goodwill as a whole is an asenine organization now. Rant is done.

Anyway, I'd offer the OP a few bucks for the box if I didn't already have a boxed C64. Some of the tapes might be nice but I don't really collect cassette games unless they are CIB. It's going to cost a bit to ship this but you are correct in the $35 shipped range as this for a very specific buyer. That would probably break down to $20 for shipping (depends on where the OP is shipping from) and $15 for the items - I'd say that was fair given the non-working condition (you just never know what could be wrong with it and if it is fixable or not, and then there is the time/money to get another C64 and swap them out, yada yada yada). Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.