IGNORED

Pete Rose Baseball

simbalion

I got a box of loose Atari 2600 carts from a friend about a month ago in a trade and have been going through them since it is too hot to do anything outdoors. One of the carts is a Pete Rose Baseball cart by Absolute entertainment. I'm not a huge sports game fan, but something about these 2600 sports games I like. So, after cleaning the contacts I popped it into my 2600jr. and was quite amazed by what I saw. The graphics are actually really good, especially the screen for the pitcher and batter. The fielders aren't quite as good as that when the ball is hit, but still look decent. Sound is fairly good and gameplay seems good. This game is dated 1989 if I read it right and really shows how the old 2600 could be stretched. I mean it even wowed me when I got a look at it!

• Like 1

Pete Rose Baseball is a triumph for the 2600. A great baseball simulation with great graphics. The control of the pitch is great, the batting is great, the only real drawback is the vertical limitation on the fielders, but once you understand how that works it is easily adjusted to.

Whenever I get the itch to play a baseball game, this is first on the list.

Compared to the 7800 the sound is the same but the graphics are not quite as good and background and overhead display missing but the gameplay is exact and the pitching screen is very close obly missing the extra colors on the sprites. very similar games....impressive only on the 2600 variant.

I played it again last night and I have to admit, it definitely is a solid game for the 2600 and shows even that old system still could be pushed to perform. I have played Baseball games on other more 'advanced' systems from the era and Pete Rose for the 2600 holds up fairly well. It's sad we didn't get to see more games with this sort of development before the 2600 was finally retired.

Edited by simbalion