IGNORED

2013 Midwest gaming classic

IAMAMRA

I guess what I meant to say is that if it is better to fly in through Chicago or Milwaukee...I understand the aiport in Milwaukee is small. I can only one direct flight from LAX to Milwaukee (don;t like stops). How far is it from Chicago to Milwaukee???

Any help would greatly be appreciated. :)

it's aprox 2 1/2 hours from chicago to Milwaukee (I know this because I take megabus from union station to DT Milwaukee Amtrak station)

• 3 weeks later...

I'll have my VideoBrain, Arcadia 2001, and something else hooked up for play again in the 80's room. Maybe I'll bring my TRS-80 if I get it working.

Sean will be bringing his CoCo3 rig back again. I'm on a CoCo kick myself, and I'm thinking it would be cool to do a whole TRS-80 display. Between Sean's CoCo3 and Model 100, your Model III, and my Model I, CoCo1, CoCo2, MC-10, and Model II, I think we have some options to play with if we wanted to do something like that. I'm sure I'll bring my MC-10 and the 5" color TV anyway, that stuff's small enough.

Additionally, I plan on my bringing my Aquarius, Intellivision II rig, Compaq Portable (this one's always a hit for some reason), RCA Studio II, and maybe some other stuff, depending on how much room I have and what other people are bringing. Apple, Atari, Commodore, TI, and IBM all seem pretty well-represented without my help so maybe I'll go for something a little off the beaten path like the Timex/Sinclair 1000 (or my NTSC ZX81). Maybe an Odyssey 2.

In the past I've also displayed my Odysseys 100-500 in the Museum as well, but I'm thinking about not doing that this year. If I have the table space anyway, I'd rather use it to demo other systems rather than just show off some Pongs that nobody can tell the difference between anyway ("this system came in 5 different colors! weird!"). If I bring any of those, it'll probably be the 500. But in that space I could set up two, maybe three systems for play.

I've thought about bringing my IBM PCjr this time since I now have a hard drive for it (the PCjr was never meant to have a hard drive, so it's actually pretty cool). I think people would get a kick out of seeing the original version of Kings Quest I with all the extra sounds and what not (it was originally written for the jr). However it would be kind of redundant with your Compaq Portable, so maybe leave that one at home? We'll coordinate as it gets closer.

So I'm probably down for:

IBM PCjr

VideoBrain

TRS-80 III

I thought I remember seeing a PCjr (actually running King's Quest, I think) at the show this year. It was over by Marty's Atari section, IIRC, but I could be mistaken.

Speaking of PCs and Compaqs though, remember that Apple IIc I bought at VCF and how it came with a pile of disks? A couple of them were actually IBM disks, and one of them has a shareware version of Kingdom Of Kroz on it. I'd never played it before, but that game is crack. I think I finally have something to run on the Compaq this time besides Ms. Pac-Man! :-D

(ASCII graphics FTW!)

If someone else has a PCjr then I'll bring something else, I'll have to ask Marty. I think that was an XT or AT though.

Even if I dont bring the jr, I can bring my game disks. I've got most of the Atarisoft releases and some other stuff that should be fun. The jr version of Jumpman is especially good.

I guess what I meant to say is that if it is better to fly in through Chicago or Milwaukee...I understand the aiport in Milwaukee is small. I can only one direct flight from LAX to Milwaukee (don;t like stops). How far is it from Chicago to Milwaukee???

Any help would greatly be appreciated. :)

I flew into Milwaukee for the 2011 MGC and Milwaukee Brookfield Hotel picked me up. So check with the hotel to see if they still do. IMO, go to Milwaukee airport; smaller airport makes for a much easier and quicker in and out.

You were asking about the flight and not the convenience, but the MKE airport is a short drive from Brookfield. Easy access coming and going compared to Chicago and without the 2+ hour drive and Chicago traffic especially around the airport. I live just a few miles from Brookfield. I can't even fathom flying into Chicago for this and making the drive, unless there was a specific reason to go to Chicago also, or there was no appropriate MKE flight available.

Now I just have to actually go to the '13 show after having missed the last 2 or 3!

• 2 weeks later...

I've thought about bringing my IBM PCjr this time since I now have a hard drive for it (the PCjr was never meant to have a hard drive, so it's actually pretty cool). I think people would get a kick out of seeing the original version of Kings Quest I with all the extra sounds and what not (it was originally written for the jr). However it would be kind of redundant with your Compaq Portable, so maybe leave that one at home? We'll coordinate as it gets closer.

So I'm probably down for:

IBM PCjr

VideoBrain

TRS-80 III

Oh wow, thats a blast from the...okay, I'll stop with the out dated statements :) Seriously though, I actually remember playing this. I can still remember my friend firing it up and me asking why he wanted to play a 1 player game while we were hanging out, his response "2 heads think better than 1 idiot" yeah, fond childhood memory, lol.

If someone else has a PCjr then I'll bring something else, I'll have to ask Marty. I think that was an XT or AT though.

Even if I dont bring the jr, I can bring my game disks. I've got most of the Atarisoft releases and some other stuff that should be fun. The jr version of Jumpman is especially good.

Mike from the VCF bunch usually has a PC Jr. (King's Quest) along with a 5150 (Zork), though I don't think it's that big of a deal if there's another on the other side of the room running a different game. The average person is just going to see it for the game running on it anyways.

I've actually got an original store banner for it we can hang behind if you want.

Here it is:

https://www.facebook...ssisPizzaArcade

I really wish they had more pictures of the place. Show us the arcade cabs. Show us the pins.

Might have to take a half-day or a full-day off of work to hit that up and get to MGC in time.

This place is well worth visiting. The pizza is good, inexpensive and the arcade is as close as you can get to back in the day today. Real classic vibe. As far as pins, the ones I remember are Twilight Zone, Pinbot, and at least two more that I can't recall right now.

Arcade games are plentiful. Most of the classics - Dig Dug, Qbert, Ms. Pacman, Pacman, Seawolf, Battlezone, I think Discs of Tron (was not working at the time) Punch-Out, some driving game called Zzzzxxvys (something like that), Joust, and quite a few more. Not all of them are working all the time, but this place is well worth spending an afternoon in.

Oh, and if you've been to Rusty Quarters in Minneapolis, this place has about double the machines.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...