IGNORED

Coleco ADAM - 30th Anniversary

retroillucid

Yep,

Believe it or not, I'm already thinking about doing a CollectorVision's Tribute To ADAM Computer for 2013

To be honest, I never owned an ADAM Computer until Pixelboy sold me one wich I think it was in 2010

However, the ADAM always picked my attention mainly because of the exclusive ADAM games

So what would you like to see for the 30th Anniversary of ADAM ?

I'm taking suggestions as right now, I only have a project in mind.....

I will also make a 30th Anniversary ADAM logo for those who are willing to use it for their homebrew stuff

Smurf Rescue: The SuperGame... you know, the one that was pictured in a couple magazines!!! :-o

If Pixelboy is willing to help me on this, and if only he want to help me, I will make it possible

You know, he IS the pixel man afterall! ;)

I know Luc would be able to re-produce all the screens (perfectly) I can provide him

Smurf Rescue: The SuperGame... you know, the one that was pictured in a couple magazines!!! :-o

If Pixelboy is willing to help me on this, and if only he want to help me, I will make it possible

I know Luc would be able to re-produce all the screens (perfectly) I can provide him

Well, a project like that is a lot of work, but I'm willing to do all the graphics IF you can find a programmer who will volunteer to code the game.

It would indeed be a cool project to work on... :)

EDIT: I have another condition for working on this project: The game must keep the look and feel of the original Smurf game on CV. I would like Super Smurf to truly feel like we took the original code from the cart version, and expanded on it. That means precisely reproducing the walking animation and the slow jumping physics of the original game. If you do find a programmer and he wants to redesign everything to today's standards, then I'm out. I want to go for "1983 authenticity" here.

Edited by Pixelboy

I'm with Pixelboy. :)

A Smurf game which is the original version worthy.

The code can be broadly be taken from Smurf Rescue.

If this ever come true, please remember thinking about all of us who do not have an ADAM, and please make an SGM version. :)

• Like 1

Ahh come on ten-four. You can get an Adam easy enough to play it. We could even release it on DDP so all you'd need is a base Adam.

I'd be very interested in looking at programming a Smurf super game. I'd sort of given up on making Super Games since everyone seems to prefer cartridges, but I'd love to flex my super game coding muscle at some point.

Even then a mega cartridge version might be done, but personally I wouldn't want to release it like that next year. It would have to wait for a bit.

Edited by hardhat

Well, a project like that is a lot of work, but I'm willing to do all the graphics IF you can find a programmer who will volunteer to code the game.

It would indeed be a cool project to work on... :)

EDIT: I have another condition for working on this project: The game must keep the look and feel of the original Smurf game on CV. I would like Super Smurf to truly feel like we took the original code from the cart version, and expanded on it. That means precisely reproducing the walking animation and the slow jumping physics of the original game. If you do find a programmer and he wants to redesign everything to today's standards, then I'm out. I want to go for "1983 authenticity" here.

SWEET!

Ok, first, I have a programmer who will work on Super Smurf ;)

Doing the game with the same feel, physic and mood of the original ...is a must actually

BUT, I would prefer to use side buttons for Jump since pressing up for jumping is kind of akward...

• Like 1

SWEET!

You do? Are you talking about hardhat? Dale said he's "very interested", he didn't actually commit to anything...

Doing the game with the same feel, physic and mood of the original ...is a must actually

BUT, I would prefer to use side buttons for Jump since pressing up for jumping is kind of akward...

I can understand this, but using a side button for jumping would make the game ridiculously easy. That's why Coleco didn't map the jumping feature to the side buttons in the original game. The fact that all actions are done through the joystick is what gives the game its challenge factor, because jumping needs to be done extra carefully.

SWEET!

You do? Are you talking about hardhat? Dale said he's "very interested", he didn't actually commit to anything...

I can understand this, but using a side button for jumping would make the game ridiculously easy. That's why Coleco didn't map the jumping feature to the side buttons in the original game. The fact that all actions are done through the joystick is what gives the game its challenge factor, because jumping needs to be done extra carefully.

I'm not talking about Dale here, even though , I know Dale could do a super great job

If using side button for jumping make the game too easy, then let's make the game more though then ;)

Adding more enemies, obstacles etc.

• Like 1

I love all the games you guys make but I am not buying an adam so I can play this game so hopefully you guys make it work with SGM or something.

I guess it is my loss if you don't make it work on coleco but the adam is one thing I was never interested in and still hasn't hooked me.

Smurf would be a good game...I know there were other proposed Super Games I was looking forward to, but now after 30 years they've gone out of my mind without digging through all my stuff to find some kind of reference...

Can anyone else recall the proposed Super Game line-up?

Ah, just remembered one...Super Gorf would be awesome!!!

I love all the games you guys make but I am not buying an adam so I can play this game so hopefully you guys make it work with SGM or something.

I guess it is my loss if you don't make it work on coleco but the adam is one thing I was never interested in and still hasn't hooked me.

What I would like is, a cartridge that would play in both ADAM & SGM

And also a Super Smurf release in ADAM Disk & DDP

As far as ADAM programmers that are still around and that COULD pull off such a feat as programming a Super Game, two names come to mind immediately and they are Dale (hardhat) and Steve Pitman. I haven't talked to Steve in a number of months and think that he might be pretty occupied... I'll have to send him an email to see how he is doing and all. There is one other programmer who could easily develop a Super Game along the lines and quality of what Coleco released and that is Jim Walters, but the last I talked to him, he is not interested in the whole retro scene. It's a shame because he is an incredible Machine Language programmer.

I'm thinking that 64K of program code (most Super Games were 128K or considerably smaller) is all that would be needed for a really great game and that would include title screens, skill level select, code to map out each skill level and of course a Hall of Fame. That would work perfectly for porting the game back to a ColecoVision only cartridge release for use with the SGM and one of the PCBs that offer (or will offer when completed) bank-switching. While an ADAM Stand-Alone Memory Console with 1 Digital Data Drive and converted PC Power Supply is all that would be needed (no keyboard or printer) and probably wouldn't cost more than $100-$125 to acquire, most people just won't take the plunge into ADAM ownership even if an incredible new game were produced for it. I actually think that is a shame because the Stand-Alone ADAM is a great backup ColecoVision Game System that already offers Composite Video output. Yes, the footprint is a little bigger, but really all it is an expanded ColecoVision with added memory and I/O mappings for numerous additional hardware items and it's states right on all the ADAM peripherals, "The ColecoVision Family Computer System".

One other benefit would be access to all the other great Super Games and ADAM entertainment software that was developed over the years (look back in this forum for some great 3rd Party/Homebrew titles that I posted about but didn't cover one of the best... Temple of the Snow Dragon) and I could be persuaded very easily to help people acquire these!

As far as controls, I always hated the fact that you pressed up on the controller to make jumps and I think this made it a heck of a lot harder for young kids to play this game especially since they had small hands and the Hand Controller could be difficult for them to hold. Case in point, my 5 year-old daughter loves the Smurf and CPK: Adv. cartridge games, but she can never get the hang of moving forward and jumping at the same time in Smurf (even with an alternate/smaller controller she comes to an obstacle and performs a double/super jump) but flies thru the CPK screens since it uses the fire-button to perform jumps. Seeing as a Super Smurf for the ADAM and possibly CV with SGM would be mostly played by adult gamers, I think the jump function should be mapped to the fire-buttons and the difficulty ramped up a little with harder obstacles and more enemies. What would be the ultimate is to include 4 Skill Levels like Coleco did in most of their games that would allow for younger kids to play the easier level and get better at the game and then be able to choose harder skill levels as they improved.

Why not include an option to change the controller's function? The first would be pressing up to jump and the second would be to use the fire-button to jump, then everyone is happy.

If this project were to come to fruition, to protect the investment of both time and money, the ADAM version should be the one developed and released first unless of course a decision is made to just develop a CV version for use only with the SGM and a cart PCB that offers saving functions for high scores.

• Like 1

SWEET!

I'm not talking about Dale here, even though , I know Dale could do a super great job

If using side button for jumping make the game too easy, then let's make the game more though then ;)

I would really like to see the jump maped to the side buttons and adding more enemies, but I understand how some people would like it not to be changed. Maybe we should have a poll to see what people would prefer.

SWEET!

I would really like to see the jump maped to the side buttons and adding more enemies, but I understand how some people would like it not to be changed. Maybe we should have a poll to see what people would prefer.

I have to disagree with the poll idea. It will only serve to divide members, and in the end, if some people don't get what they voted for, they'll be miffed. Me, J-F and his programmer will decide what we want to do about the side button issue. We will likely implement it in some way, but I still say it's a bad idea, and I'll keep lobbying to keep the "traditional" joystick option available.

• Like 1

SWEET!

I have to disagree with the poll idea. It will only serve to divide members, and in the end, if some people don't get what they voted for, they'll be miffed. Me, J-F and his programmer will decide what we want to do about the side button issue. We will likely implement it in some way, but I still say it's a bad idea, and I'll keep lobbying to keep the "traditional" joystick option available.

The poll idea worked with picking the game you where making, even though I was hoping for a different game, I was still happy with the choices. The thing is it will be the AA members that will buy the game or not, and to be honest I'm not 100% sure on getting a ADAM game that is pretty much the same as a coleco game that I already own(I try and buy every game you guys make). Speaking for myself I would like to see something new and cool if I'm going to be paying money for this.

You are right you guys can make the decision but I would hate to see the game not sell well and no more ADAM games get made do to that. Just my 2 cents :P

Edited by RelliK111

How do we know if Coleco had indeed made Super Smurf that they wouldn't have made the "jump" via the side buttons? Just because the original cartridge game didn't have this feature doesn't mean they wouldn't have changed it for the super game.

SWEET!

How do we know if Coleco had indeed made Super Smurf that they wouldn't have made the "jump" via the side buttons? Just because the original cartridge game didn't have this feature doesn't mean they wouldn't have changed it for the super game.

That's like saying "Why didn't Capcom offer the option in all their Mega Man games to start the game with all the weapons already equiped?" The answer to that question is obvious: Just play the darn games, get good at them, and it will be a far more satisfying experience for you than having everything given to you on a silver platter.

I would like to point out that the original Smurf Rescue consistently appears on the favorite games list of many CV fans. Those people persevered until they figured out how to jump over obstacles without dying every five seconds (like most beginners do with this game), and they got good at it enough that their satisfaction at playing the game turned into fondness and nostalgia that lasted until this present day.

So I refuse to think that not using the side buttons for jumping in Smurf Rescue was a design error on Coleco's part. I maintain that using the side buttons would make the game ridiculously easy, to the point where you finish the game in 10 minutes, and then never touch it again because it was just a boring walk in the park for you.

You people simply don't realize what you're asking. I don't want to spend weeks (perhaps months) working on a homebrew game that you're going to breeze through in 10 minutes and never touch again. I want you to enjoy the fruits of my labours, and I think that's a legitimate expectation for any homebrewer.

smurf rescue, has been designed for children. And it was perfect for that. the fact to not use the side button was really a great idea , in my opinion.

If you use a side button to jump , and if you want jump to the right for instance , you will have to synchronise a move of your stick to the right and a push on the button... I don't know lot of children of 3-4 years old able to do that. in smurf Rescue, you can jump right just by pushing the stick up 2 times , that's perfect for the youngers

My soon 3.5 year is now able to play smurf rescue. But has still lot of diffulties with Smurf Challenge that use the side button to jump.

Edited by youki

smurf rescue, has been designed for children. And it was perfect for that. the fact to not use the side button was really a great idea , in my opinion.

If you use a side button to jump , and if you want jump to the right for instance , you will have to synchronise a move of your stick to the right and a push on the button... I don't know lot of children of 3-4 years old able to do that. in smurf Rescue, you can jump right just by pushing the stick up 2 times , that's perfect for the youngers

You (indirectly) gave me an idea, youki. :) How about using the side buttons to toggle high jumps? Do a regular jump with the joystick, and to do a double jump, hold down either side button while you do the same joystick movement.

One thing I've always found rather annoying with Smurf Rescue is the high jump. It's not super difficult to pull off, but it is clunky nonetheless. With Super Smurf Rescue, I would like to implement vertical levels (similar to Magical Tree) and high jumps would become important in such levels. Better yet, you could still use the bounce feature from the original Smurf game to perform an even higher jump.

This offers quite a few new possibilities in level design for Super Smurf Rescue... :)

Don't you think , you will lost some authenticity , if you make vertical level ? I don't think it was in coleco plan for super smurf.

but in term of gameplay , it is obviously a great addition. Depends if the goal is to recreate as Super Smurf would have been , or create a better super smurf game.

Concerning authencity , i think one importing thing in addition of original animation and sound track would be to keep the jerky kind of scrolling you have when you change screen. In case of "vertical" level, i think you should at least keep the same concept of "scrolling".